Permission To Stay Fee Now £15?

I was under the impression that the 30 day entry for tourists to Thailand was still free ? But having travelled on Non "O" visa for a while I thought maybe I was behind the times when I read this on the site of the Thai Consul in the UK....a fee of £15 collected in cash on entry ? Now if this has passed me by it seems also Thaivisa also unaware as current advice is that this is still free, same for Thai Embassy. I know the Thai consulate in Hull is always looking out for business but....either I'm reading this wrong or this is a downright lie. Note also the blurb further on about queues at the airport awaiting entry and how a visa makes it easier etc, in my experience that never happens either. Comments ?

Thai Consulate Hull

post-7438-1149608246_thumb.jpg

Edited by roamer

mmmmmmmmm, i just checked the Hull website and that document you posted dates Jan 1st 2006.

The line about 1000 baht for visa on arrival is poop though, me thinks.

I was stamped into Thailand a couple of weeks ago for 30 days (when i forget to get a re-entry permit) and was not asked for 1000 baht.

This kind of gives the impression that Hull are no good, but i find them to offer perfect service, especially when it come to non immigrant visa's

The 1000 Baht fee for the 30 day entry stamp in your passport is usually waived for U.K. nationals and Europeans. Although I have heard that Middle East and Israelis have to pay 1000 baht in return for a 30 day 'stamp'.

The 1000 Baht fee for the 30 day entry stamp in your passport is usually waived for U.K. nationals and Europeans.

Enforcing that rule would make for a very interesting thread on here and a probable 24x7 punch up at immigration :o

...I know the Thai consulate in Hull is always looking out for business but.... Thai Consulate Hull
That’s an interesting document, but you are wrong to suspect the consulate in Hull of greed: the fee, the document states, is collected in Thailand, upon arrival.

Nevertheless, that document is very confusing.

1. It bunches together in one list 42 countries whose nationals can enter Thailand “under either the visa exemption rule or the visa on arrival rule", then goes on to say that “a fee of THB 1,000 is payable in cash upon entering Thailand under this rule". Notice the “or”. First, reference is made to two different rules, then a fee is mentioned applying to one rule. It is true that the nationals of some countries, for example India, are not entitled to visa-free entry but can obtain a visa on arrival and I suspect that the fee of THB 1,000 applies to this visa on arrival.

2. The document says that “a person travelling on a UK Travel Document, whatever their nationality, requires a visa for all visits to Thailand”. This is clearly wrong. UK passport holders can enter Thailand without a visa and receive a 30-day permission to stay.

Now, who is going to tell the consulate in Hull to correct that document?

---------------

Maestro

I was under the impression that the 30 day entry for tourists to Thailand was still free ? But having travelled on Non "O" visa for a while I thought maybe I was behind the times when I read this on the site of the Thai Consul in the UK....a fee of £15 collected in cash on entry ? Now if this has passed me by it seems also Thaivisa also unaware as current advice is that this is still free, same for Thai Embassy. I know the Thai consulate in Hull is always looking out for business but....either I'm reading this wrong or this is a downright lie. Note also the blurb further on about queues at the airport awaiting entry and how a visa makes it easier etc, in my experience that never happens either. Comments ?

Thai Consulate Hull

That would be about 1000 Baht for one entry? Never heard this, sorry! This is sure for one Tourist-Visa entry I think, you have to pay in the Thai consulates or embassies abroad, but not for the many categories it gives they can visit LOS free without VISA up to 30 days.

...This is sure for one Tourist-Visa entry I think...
It can’t be that, Eugen: the tourist visa costs GBP 25.00 per entry, not THB 1,000 (approx. GBP 15.00), and the fee for the tourist visa – and other visas – is obviously collected by the consulate, whereas the document referred to by Roamer indicates that the fee of THB 1,000 is collected on entering Thailand.

Hopefully, the Thai consulate in Hull will reply to clarify this matter.

---------------

Maestro

...I know the Thai consulate in Hull is always looking out for business but.... Thai Consulate Hull
That’s an interesting document, but you are wrong to suspect the consulate in Hull of greed: the fee, the document states, is collected in Thailand, upon arrival.

Nevertheless, that document is very confusing.

1. It bunches together in one list 42 countries whose nationals can enter Thailand “under either the visa exemption rule or the visa on arrival rule", then goes on to say that “a fee of THB 1,000 is payable in cash upon entering Thailand under this rule". Notice the “or”. First, reference is made to two different rules, then a fee is mentioned applying to one rule. It is true that the nationals of some countries, for example India, are not entitled to visa-free entry but can obtain a visa on arrival and I suspect that the fee of THB 1,000 applies to this visa on arrival.

2. The document says that “a person travelling on a UK Travel Document, whatever their nationality, requires a visa for all visits to Thailand”. This is clearly wrong. UK passport holders can enter Thailand without a visa and receive a 30-day permission to stay.

Now, who is going to tell the consulate in Hull to correct that document?

---------------

Maestro

Agree it looks confusion....

Way I see it is ...

Some of the said golden 42 nationals listed can enter on the " VISA EXEMPT" rule-ie..UK-US etc -Free Stamp..... :D ...welcome...for up to 30 days....

others of the said 42 national (group) can enter on a"VISA on ARRIVAL" Rule-Cost 1000bt Fee.(on arrival) :D

the rest of the worlds punters (not of the famous 42)need a VISA to visit issued/stamped in their passports....in their own Country before they ever hit the promised land....at wotever costs.... :o

Hey

Maestro, a Travel Document is issued in lieu of a Passport and is not a Passport. Not all countries issue Travel Documents, but the UK do. They are usually issued to Asylum seekers and refugees, but they can be issued to other NON UK Citizens or a Citizen who is unable to readily satisy the authorities of their Citizenship Status.

So, this part of the letter from Hull is actually correct, as it addresses UK Travel Document useage as opposed to a Passport.

It can be very confusing as many times, you see the term 'Passport/travel Document' in text, even offical government sites and people think they are one and the same.

Kind regards

Peter

Have to say I think people being pretty charitable to the Thai Consulate thinking this could be due to various travel documents/nationalities etc. Check the link out, read it for yourself, my accusation that Thai Consulate is drumming up business stands, I KNOW they don't get this fabled 1000B if its collected at the airport. I pointed out that if you read the (also untrue) blurb directly following it you are led to believe that the possesion of a visa helps you avoid the queues, not so, the queues are there whether you have a visa or not. So if you do have a visa and the guy in front of you does not and has to wait to be "approved" then you wait anyway.

The overall effect of this is to make you think your better off shelling out £25 for a tourist visa than to face the hassle at the airport when you would have to pay £15 anyway.

Therefore I believe the effect of this is drumming up business as I have no doubt that the Thai Consulate profits by amount of visas issued. For those of you not familiar with this particular institution it is run on highly efficient business lines and is a far better place to get a visa, particularly a non "O" than the Thai Embassy.

However unless its proved otherwise I would say that this a highly suspect piece of misinformation.

a Travel Document is issued in lieu of a Passport and is not a Passport. Not all countries issue Travel Documents, but the UK do. They are usually issued to Asylum seekers and refugees, but they can be issued to other NON UK Citizens or a Citizen who is unable to readily satisy the authorities of their Citizenship Status.
Thank you, Peter. Actually, the capital letters should have told me that it was a technical term referring to a particular type of document, rather than a travel document (without capitals) in general.

Learnt something today.

---------------

Maestro

...This is sure for one Tourist-Visa entry I think...
It can’t be that, Eugen: the tourist visa costs GBP 25.00 per entry, not THB 1,000 (approx. GBP 15.00), and the fee for the tourist visa – and other visas – is obviously collected by the consulate, whereas the document referred to by Roamer indicates that the fee of THB 1,000 is collected on entering Thailand.

Hopefully, the Thai consulate in Hull will reply to clarify this matter.

---------------

Maestro

Thank you maestro. Was wrong with the exchange rate and my post was too quickly... :o

Have to say I think people being pretty charitable to the Thai Consulate thinking this could be due to various travel documents/nationalities etc. Check the link out, read it for yourself, my accusation that Thai Consulate is drumming up business stands, I KNOW they don't get this fabled 1000B if its collected at the airport. I pointed out that if you read the (also untrue) blurb directly following it you are led to believe that the possesion of a visa helps you avoid the queues, not so, the queues are there whether you have a visa or not. So if you do have a visa and the guy in front of you does not and has to wait to be "approved" then you wait anyway.

The overall effect of this is to make you think your better off shelling out £25 for a tourist visa than to face the hassle at the airport when you would have to pay £15 anyway.

Therefore I believe the effect of this is drumming up business as I have no doubt that the Thai Consulate profits by amount of visas issued. For those of you not familiar with this particular institution it is run on highly efficient business lines and is a far better place to get a visa, particularly a non "O" than the Thai Embassy.

However unless its proved otherwise I would say that this a highly suspect piece of misinformation.

After reviewing all the cited documents, it would appear your assessment as far as their motivation is accurate.

Edited by sriracha john

I pointed out that if you read the (also untrue) blurb directly following it you are led to believe that the possesion of a visa helps you avoid the queues, not so, the queues are there whether you have a visa or not. So if you do have a visa and the guy in front of you does not and has to wait to be "approved" then you wait anyway.

Therefore I believe the effect of this is drumming up business as I have no doubt that the Thai Consulate profits by amount of visas issued.

Roamer, now I see what you mean.
Please appreciate that when entering Thailand under these rules there can be extensive numbers of tourists queuing at Thai immigration controls awaiting their turn to be granted approval to enter Thailand.

Source: Hull Consulate Visa Requirements

I have now looked at the whole document (first, I had read only page 1) and at the top of the second page, in bold red font, it says:

If you are unable to satisfy the above requirements you will need to obtain

a 60-day tourist visa or a 90-day non-immigrant visa before you leave the UK.

That’s not cricket! In fact, it’s downright evil. First, the consulate makes you believe that a British passport holder has to pay GBP 15.00 on arrival, then it scares you about queues on arrival for the 15-pound entry permit, and finally it boldly suggests the 25-pound tourist visa. How devilish!

There could be a problem if the Ministry of Foreign Affairs gets to hear about this and cracks down on Hull: some current benefits of Hull you mentioned may get lost. What’s the lesser evil?

---------------

Maestro

I pointed out that if you read the (also untrue) blurb directly following it you are led to believe that the possesion of a visa helps you avoid the queues, not so, the queues are there whether you have a visa or not. So if you do have a visa and the guy in front of you does not and has to wait to be "approved" then you wait anyway.

Therefore I believe the effect of this is drumming up business as I have no doubt that the Thai Consulate profits by amount of visas issued.

Roamer, now I see what you mean.
Please appreciate that when entering Thailand under these rules there can be extensive numbers of tourists queuing at Thai immigration controls awaiting their turn to be granted approval to enter Thailand.

Source: Hull Consulate Visa Requirements

I have now looked at the whole document (first, I had read only page 1) and at the top of the second page, in bold red font, it says:

If you are unable to satisfy the above requirements you will need to obtain

a 60-day tourist visa or a 90-day non-immigrant visa before you leave the UK.

That’s not cricket! In fact, it’s downright evil. First, the consulate makes you believe that a British passport holder has to pay GBP 15.00 on arrival, then it scares you about queues on arrival for the 15-pound entry permit, and finally it boldly suggests the 25-pound tourist visa. How devilish!

There could be a problem if the Ministry of Foreign Affairs gets to hear about this and cracks down on Hull: some current benefits of Hull you mentioned may get lost. What’s the lesser evil?

---------------

Maestro

Hmmm, thinking about the lesser evil my public spiritedness in pointing this out is tempered by the ease of non "O" at Hull compared to the Embassy....maybe its a good thing people get a 60 day tourist visa anyway in case they want to spend longer in LOS :o

...maybe its a good thing people get a 60 day tourist visa anyway in case they want to spend longer in LOS :o
...and Thaivisa members know the facts and won’t fall for the misinformation on that web page.

P.S. It is past 2 p.m. in England now and still no answer to the email I sent them last night. Perhaps too busy issuing visas to people who wouldn’t really need one.

---------------

Maestro