Good venue in Chiang Mai to watch the Football World Cup

AlanM

Hi all.

I will be in Chiang Mai in June - July, the same time as the FIFA World Cup kicks off in Brazil.

Can any one tell me where they will be watching the games, and name a good pub or social club they know. Big screen - plenty of T V ....the normal good vibe.

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With games kicking of between 1700 and 2100 local time, I'd say there would be hardly anywhere showing them live.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/world-cup-2014-dates-and-kickoff-times-for-every-game-including-england-matches-against-italy-uruguay-and-costa-rica-8989512.html

Time difference between Bangkok, Thailand and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil is:

-10:0 hours

Bangkok is 10:0 hours ahead of Rio de Janeiro

There is a thai food hall which we locals call mamas in Nong Hoi which is open 24 hrs. The place is on Lamphun Road about five doors down from the entrance to Riverside condo on the same side of the road. Football is very popular here with thais and packed on a regular basis for EPL games. There is a large ex-pat community in the area and i would be very surprised if the place is not busy for all games, not just England.

They only serve local beer, but have no objection to you bringing in anything they do not sell, as long as you order mixers, a snack or ice etc.

With games kicking of between 1700 and 2100 local time, I'd say there would be hardly anywhere showing them live.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/world-cup-2014-dates-and-kickoff-times-for-every-game-including-england-matches-against-italy-uruguay-and-costa-rica-8989512.html

Time difference between Bangkok, Thailand and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil is:

-10:0 hours

Bangkok is 10:0 hours ahead of Rio de Janeiro

^ forgot a "not" in there? wink.png

So yes, it'll be shown all over the place, you'll be spoiled for choice. Downunder Pub comes to mind as they typically include the commentary and they have nice screens. But it'll be on absolutely everywhere so just pick from several late-night places that you like for other reasons.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

So yes, it'll be shown all over the place, you'll be spoiled for choice. Downunder Pub comes to mind as they typically include the commentary and they have nice screens. But it'll be on absolutely everywhere so just pick from several late-night places that you like for other reasons.

Win. it won't simply be 'late night places' the games kick off at 3am Thai time onwards. I guess some places open for breakfast might show them.

True Blue made an interesting point.

Shown on the free UK TV channels, anyone with access to google can find out how to get those channels here via the internet for a small annual fee, and very reliable it is too. With an Android set top box,its as convenient as being back home.

Shown on the free UK TV channels, anyone with access to google can find out how to get those channels here via the internet for a small annual fee, and very reliable it is too. With an Android set top box,its as convenient as being back home.

I'm glad I'll be back home where it's only a 4 hour time difference. Not sure if I could take a month of watching games daily, starting at 3 am + plus.

I remember the last WC fiasco. sad.png ooh hoo

Win. it won't simply be 'late night places' the games kick off at 3am Thai time onwards. I guess some places open for breakfast might show them.

i know a few places that are planning to stay open and show the world cup games but only really if they can guarantee a certain number of people turning up to watch. shocker of a time difference this one.

i know a few places that are planning to stay open and show the world cup games but only really if they can guarantee a certain number of people turning up to watch. shocker of a time difference this one.

Hi Stevie H. You say you know a few places that may be open, can you please name them for me. There are a few 1pm kick offs also, which will be at 11 pm Thai time, that is ok for some. Thanks mate

what would a khwai,no about football,probaly thinks its played with a oval ball.

I remember the watching the 2010 final in CM, had great time. Huge crowd of mostly Orange on Ratwithi Rd. at The Wall and other spots spilling out into the street blocking traffic completely, smiling Police officers did not seem to care. Fun atmosphere, no worries of hooliganism. Small group of Spain supporters who were drinking at the Montri Hotel beer garden celebrated their victory cruising around on tuk-tuks waving “La Rojigualda”.

I remember the watching the 2010 final in CM, had great time. Huge crowd of mostly Orange on Ratwithi Rd. at The Wall and other spots spilling out into the street blocking traffic completely, smiling Police officers did not seem to care. Fun atmosphere, no worries of hooliganism. Small group of Spain supporters who were drinking at the Montri Hotel beer garden celebrated their victory cruising around on tuk-tuks waving “La Rojigualda”.

WC Final kicks off at 2am Thai time, so there should be somewhere showing it.

Who is broadcasting it anyway?

the last two world cups,have not never been shown in thailand,if any one has heard who will be showing it if they are going to show it would be interested in knowing,true, cth,channel seven thai local.

Watched them all on Planet Chiang Mai; don't know where you were !

Guest siamjourney

Where can you get the RS box in CM? What's the cost? Will they be showing repeats later in the day Thai time?

the last two world cups,have not never been shown in thailand,if any one has heard who will be showing it if they are going to show it would be interested in knowing,true, cth,channel seven thai local.

dont no which planet you were on but no world cup matches were shown live on tele in chiang mai last world cup.there was a contractul dispute between true and thai tv,which was not resolved,it was to do with showing matches free on thai tv.

dont no which planet you were on,but no world cup matches were shown on tele in chiang mai last world cup,it was to do with a contractual dispute between true and thai free tv,so they did not show any games at all.

Your both incorrect. RS had the world cup broadcast rights for Thailand same as this year and it is still in court.