12 killed as 10-wheeler overturns in Loei

webfact

who said they were all Thai, these are sugar cane cutters, a lot of Burmese or Cambodian do this job in thailand

The brakes didn't work. 12 Thais dead.

Not in the NE along the Laos border. There are no Burmese up here. If migrant workers, they are Lao, down Ubon,Surin way, they may have Cambodians. Sugar Cane cutting is damn hard work, it also pays well, hence i would say the vast majority will be Thai.

ask the lawyer, yesterday, on TV: is it illegal to transport people in the back of truck/pickup.

yes it is illegal...

whistling.gif

Illegal.........silly boy........this is Thailand. The brakes were to blame and the obligatory Buddhist amulet was obviously false.

What is so upsetting for me is that these people would be poor, itinerant farm labourers just trying to get by and at the mercy of Thailand's sickening lack of oversight when it comes to vehicle safety and driver training.

This makes me sad, sickened and very angry.

• Like 1

Sitting at the local market one day,a pickup with high rails along the tray pulled up full of farm labourers all standing packed like sardines in the back,including those inside,we counted 22 people who got off to buy food,imagine the carnage if this had rolled,i absolutley refuse to take anyone in the back of my pickup and have told my wife the same when she uses the car,as stated before it is illegal,but never enforced.

Why is it always brake failure? Don't anyone in thailand check their brakes?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think they they confuse 2 english words transposed into thai; brake failure / brain failure

Brake fluid boils. You should do a little more research before posting. Air breaks have the same trouble but there is no break fluid to boil.

maybe you should do a little researching, try air assisted hydraulic brakes, some countries use them, ,japan uses them, truck could have been jap import or just a very old truck

Maybe you should do a little more reading before you post. There was an explation regarding "boiling brake fluid" whistling.gif

nobody in Thailand has clue about pre and post trip inspections......

Wow, another expert landed.

" 12 killed as 10-wheeler overturns in Loei" we'll discover soon that these Cambodians worker didn't have work permit.

What's your point smart person???

it will be blamed on the Cambodians......understand Now

Sorry not yet, you must have a very active imagination.

sonar6ca, on 08 Apr 2014 - 14:42, said:
Thaiready, on 08 Apr 2014 - 13:28, said:
casindonet, on 08 Apr 2014 - 06:15, said:

Better an expert than someone with his head buried in the sand

A set of perfectly functioning brakes can fail if the brakes are not used correctly.

If the brakes are allowed to heat up excessively they can fail.

Brakes work by converting (transferring) the kinetic energy of a vehicle into heat (energy) and so slow the vehicle. If the brakes become excessively hot the energy transfer diminishes to the point of non existence.

A major issue for people who "ride" the brake for extended periods especially when going downhill.

Google brake fade and you will see what I mean.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

Ever heard of brake fade, Its when you over use your brakes, they get hot and don't work. But that's down to bad driving.

Brake fade is caused by excessive use, Air is used to keep the breaks off, when no air or under pressure the brakes come on, causing the brakes to over heat, the result is Brake fade.

P.S I am an Expert, 40 years of Driving All HGV or LGV , And every shape and size.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

The lack of any government concern is revealed just by the name itself-Curve of One Hundred and Twelve Deaths.

In the future, that name will probably continue to readjust itself in higher numbers as the current apathy prevails.

Edited by Tonawatchee

Why doesn't any driver drop the gears before even hitting the pads. Brakes don't just fail over night. Sorry again to those killed and injured. What a waste....

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A set of perfectly functioning brakes can fail if the brakes are not used correctly.

If the brakes are allowed to heat up excessively they can fail.

Brakes work by converting (transferring) the kinetic energy of a vehicle into heat (energy) and so slow the vehicle. If the brakes become excessively hot the energy transfer diminishes to the point of non existence.

A major issue for people who "ride" the brake for extended periods especially when going downhill.

Google brake fade and you will see what I mean.

Again as Ive already posted, your correct. The drivers know these roads well, why are they not gearing down in anticipation of the steep decline and why are they driving at such an ominous speed in the first place to cause supposed break failure?

Ever heard of brake fade, Its when you over use your brakes, they get hot and don't work. But that's down to bad driving.

Brake fade is caused by excessive use, Air is used to keep the breaks off, when no air or under pressure the brakes come on, causing the brakes to over heat, the result is Brake fade.

P.S I am an Expert, 40 years of Driving All HGV or LGV , And every shape and size.

Could of mentioned gearing down in anticipation of the decline, hence no need to over heat the brakes, so speed, use gears and brake sparingly, easy.

At least the poster isn't a smart arse with corny school boy comments to everyone's posts.

• Like 1

Just goes to show you even a highly skilled / trained professional truck driver can get involved in an accident in Thailand.

Edited by metisdead
Font: Arial, Size: 14, please remember this.

I dont think it is actually lack of maintenance that is the cause but more to do with driver education and they ride the brakes down hill instead of choosing a lower gear and letting the engine braking assist.

Brake fluid then boils and viola..... no more brakes.

R.I.P.

Yes, and part of the reason is they do not change the brake fluid which is hygroscopic, it is the moisture that causes the boiling and loss of hydraulic pressure. Failure to change, plus topping up from opened container. Even these painful lessons are not learned.

The biggest cause for concern is sharing the road with unsafe vehicles and drivers.

As usual, we will never know the final outcome but we all suspect it will just go away with some cash to ease the pain.