Stainless less steel gates

Nickthegreek

Woody, was not trying to be sarcastic or rude, I know a gate here is made of box or tube what looks to be polished stainless steel ranging from 1.0 mm to 5.0 mm you seem to have a wealth of experience maybe this helps define further

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woody, was not trying to be sarcastic or rude, I know a gate here is made of box or tube what looks to be polished stainless steel ranging from 1.0 mm to 5.0 mm you seem to have a wealth of experience maybe this helps define further

There has been a lot of talk so far about the price of the material and the cost of a finished gate. Yet so far not the OP nor Fredo has specified what material is quoted for the gate. The OP has said several times already that 1 to 5 mm thick stainless is used for a gate, and he will understand that 5 mm cost exactly fivefold from 1 mm stainless, but as a finished product it looks the exact same gate.

So as long as the OP and Fredo don't give precise specifications about the materials used, this discussion can go on for another 20 pages, without any comparison possible.

Edited by JesseFrank

There has been a lot of talk so far about the price of the material and the cost of a finished gate. Yet so far not the OP nor Fredo has specified what material is quoted for the gate. The OP has said several times already that 1 to 5 mm thick stainless is used for a gate, and he will understand that 5 mm cost exactly fivefold from 1 mm stainless, but at the finished it looks the exact same gate.

So as long as the OP and Fredo don't give precise specifications about the materials used, this discussion can go on for another 20 pages, without any comparison possible.

Go back to bed, and give the s a shake!

Did you get a Math GSE?

Edited by Woody1

To be honest One rather hoped that with the experts here on thai visa with the size quoted a price would have been forth coming, that was my initial hope, it would seem that the finite detail is not available, thanks all for your input

There has been a lot of talk so far about the price of the material and the cost of a finished gate. Yet so far not the OP nor Fredo has specified what material is quoted for the gate. The OP has said several times already that 1 to 5 mm thick stainless is used for a gate, and he will understand that 5 mm cost exactly fivefold from 1 mm stainless, but at the finished it looks the exact same gate.

Did you get a Math GSE?

Since stainless is sold by the weight and my math teacher always taught me that 5 mm of a certain material weighs 5 times as much as 1 mm of the same material, I think that would also mean it cost 5 times as much.

But I think you understand already, from the comments of people with knowledge about stainless, that doesn't include me , that you made a fool of yourself with your arguments in this thread

Edited by JesseFrank

Not the case, sold in mm thickness ranging from 1.0 mm thick to 5 mm all in 6 metre lengths round or square tube, no weight was ever discussed BT the Thai seller

Because they don't mention the weight doesn't mean it isn't the price factor.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/717398-stainless-less-steel-gates/?p=7673740

For 100mm x 3mm x 6m I paid 1650.

That is 600,000sqmm. 1200 x 2400 is 2,880,000 sqmm. It is sold by weight but as an estimate it works out to 7900 Baht.

Since stainless is sold by the weight and my math teacher always taught me that 5 mm of a certain material weighs 5 times as much as 1 mm of the same material, I think that would also mean it cost 5 times as much.

In an ideal world that would be true however we buy the following. (all are 304 and dims of 1200 x 2400)

1.5mm = Bt.2800

2.0mm = Bt.3600

3.0mm = Bt.7400

Lemme guess, you want to see the invoice or you will call my prices fake.................

• Like 1

In an ideal world that would be true however we buy the following. (all are 304 and dims of 1200 x 2400)

1.5mm = Bt.2800

2.0mm = Bt.3600

3.0mm = Bt.7400

Lemme guess, you want to see the invoice or you will call my prices fake.................

No need to see an invoice, you just confirmed ny comment, in fact going from your quote for 1.5 and 3 mm it seems that 5 mm would even be more than fivefold the price of 1 mm smile.png

I think you deserve a like for supporting me biggrin.png

Edited by JesseFrank

1.5mm = Bt.2800

2.0mm = Bt.3600

3.0mm = Bt.7400

No need to see an invoice, you just confirmed ny comment, in fact going from your quote for 1.5 and 3 mm it seems that 5 mm would even be more than fivefold the price of 1 mm smile.png

so you make gates from this?

1.5mm = Bt.2800

2.0mm = Bt.3600

3.0mm = Bt.7400

Keep going mate, you show your ignorance once again. Material is material be it round, flat or square, I would only think that shaped material will carry a premium of flat rolled one.

1.5mm = Bt.2800

2.0mm = Bt.3600

3.0mm = Bt.7400

Keep going mate, you show your ignorance once again. Material is material be it round, flat or square, I would only think that shaped material will carry a premium of flat rolled one.

whatever Jesse I am amongst achedemics here I and I will always fall under your mighty shadow, I will go back to my mushroom lifestyle of knowing nothing and looking stupid!

We are talking about gate material not pipes, woody my knowledge extends to tables and basic fab, I am sure the sizes I was asked to price were 15mm to 40 mm which you now say is pipe, so maybe a little reading goes a long way ....

FYI Pipe is gauged by inside diameter, tube by outside diameter.

Not the case, sold in mm thickness ranging from 1.0 mm thick to 5 mm all in 6 metre lengths round or square tube, no weight was ever discussed BT the Thai seller

Just because there is no mention of the weight does not mean that isn't a factor in the pricing.

Edited by VocalNeal

Hi Nick,Woodt and spoonman.

In the Uk I pay £210.00 ( 10500 Bht ) for a 2.5 x 1.25 x 3 mm satin finished sheet of 304 L grade and 287.00 ( 14350 Bht ) in 316 grade.

I pay £ 42.00 ( 2100 Bht) for a 4 mt length of 100 x 3 mm flat bar as stainless flat is not supplied in 6 mt lengths in the Uk

If I was making gates I would use approx 2" od polished tube with a wall thickness of 1.5 mm .

This would be tig welded using an inert gas such as Argon .

The welds will need polishing out on completion.

You will only need to pickle and passivating the welds to remove any mild steel pickup from using the wrong types of sanding discs or wire brushes that are not suitable for Stainless Steel.

Heavy tube is classed as nominal bore pipe with different wall thicknesses to suit the required pressure and is not supplied as polished tube.

I should imagine that I pay a lot more for my materials in the uk than you do in Thailand as yours will most probably come from

China.

When I visit my Son who lives in Thailand I am amazed at the neglect of health and safety on site.

It is a nightmare here in the Uk as we now have to supply Method Statements ans risk Assessments for any work that has to be done on site with a copy of 3 rd party insurance to cover for any accidents on site.

We are not allowed to work on site at high level without a safety harness even if it is 2 mts from ground level.

Oue welders will have to use react alight shields now to prevent arc eye not like the Thai welders who use goggles and a scarf around their heads.

What do you all do for a living in Thailand it seem you are all involved in fabrication work of some kind.

I am semi retired but I still get involved with fabrication work in the food industry and pipe fabrication and installation in many companies and I sub out the work to companies that I used to use when I was working full time when I ran a fab shop with 20 employees

In the Uk I pay £210.00 ( 10500 Bht ) for a 2.5 x 1.25 x 3 mm satin finished sheet of 304 L grade and 287.00 ( 14350 Bht ) in 316 grade.

I pay £ 42.00 ( 2100 Bht) for a 4 mt length of 100 x 3 mm flat bar as stainless flat is not supplied in 6 mt lengths in the Uk

If I was making gates I would use approx 2" od polished tube with a wall thickness of 1.5 mm .

You will only need to pickle and passivating the welds to remove any mild steel pickup from using the wrong types of sanding discs or wire brushes that are not suitable for Stainless Steel.

Heavy tube is classed as nominal bore pipe with different wall thicknesses to suit the required pressure and is not supplied as polished tube.

I should imagine that I pay a lot more for my materials in the uk than you do in Thailand as yours will most probably come from

China.

When I visit my Son who lives in Thailand I am amazed at the neglect of health and safety on site.

It is a nightmare here in the Uk as we now have to supply Method Statements ans risk Assessments for any work that has to be done on site with a copy of 3 rd party insurance to cover for any accidents on site.

We are not allowed to work on site at high level without a safety harness even if it is 2 mts from ground level.

Oue welders will have to use react alight shields now to prevent arc eye not like the Thai welders who use goggles and a scarf around their heads.

What do you all do for a living in Thailand it seem you are all involved in fabrication work of some kind.

I am semi retired but I still get involved with fabrication work in the food industry and pipe fabrication and installation in many companies and I sub out the work to companies that I used to use when I was working full time when I ran a fab shop with 20 employees

Ryan thanks, you gave just answered everything I need to know as well as explain about the tube and thickness. Thanks

China.

Hi Ryan.

All the safety stuff. we too are bound by law to use it. Just cause Somchai out on the street doesn't don't think for one second a legitimate business does as well.

As for what I do. I design and fabricate bespoke armoured vehicles.

I apologise for mixing up the pipe and tubing terminology as the only time I have ordered it was for the chrome moly tubing I use in race car roll cages and chassis.

Edited by Spoonman

Did you get a Math GSE?

But I think you understand already, from the comments of people with knowledge about stainless, that doesn't include me , that you made a fool of yourself with your arguments in this thread

I was still trying to figure out why stainless doesn't rust like carbon steel? Sorry

Did you get a Math GSE?

I was still trying to figure out why stainless doesn't rust like carbon steel? Sorry

I don't get your point of this comment, but actually the last point in my post wasn't directed at you, I thought I was replying to the OP.

If you think that there was an error in the comments in my first post, feel free to correct me in an understandable way.

Edited by JesseFrank

Did you get a Math GSE?

I don't get your point of this comment, but actually the last point in my post wasn't directed at you, I thought I was replying to the OP.

Understood now.

Jesse i understood you but i did not think it was relevant until I had a baseline which Ryan has now given and that was the metric I needed to be able to work out prices, you were of course right with your comment s re math

Hi Woody

The reason stainless steel does not rust is because it has a low Carbon content which means it is non magnetic.

Some Stainless steels such as the type used for knives and fork are magnetic as they need to be so they can be sharpened so they will have a high Carbon content and they can rust slightly if left exposed to water.

As I said in my last post that I use type 304L the L stands for low carbon .

I usually use type 316 L the has an even better resistance to water and it is also resistant to a lot of chemicals such as acids that can affect the strength of the materials especially in the food industry

Hi Woody

The reason stainless steel does not rust is because it has a low Carbon content which means it is non magnetic.

Some Stainless steels such as the type used for knives and fork are magnetic as they need to be so they can be sharpened so they will have a high Carbon content and they can rust slightly if left exposed to water.

I usually use type 316 L the has an even better resistance to water and it is also resistant to a lot of chemicals such as acids that can affect the strength of the materials especially in the food industry

Sorry?? I thought rust was iron oxide. Ferrous oxide, FeO2, no?

It has nothing to do with carbon, in fact you'll probably find that the element carbon is in almost everything you can see. Carbon has nothing to do with magnetism also.

The magnetic forms of stainless steel you mention are classed as ferritic, meaning they contain iron.

The, "L" has nothing to do with what you mention also.

Hi Woody

Sorry?? I thought rust was iron oxide. Ferrous oxide, FeO2, no?

It has nothing to do with carbon, in fact you'll probably find that the element carbon is in almost everything you can see. Carbon has nothing to do with magnetism also.

The magnetic forms of stainless steel you mention are classed as ferritic, meaning they contain iron.

The, "L" has nothing to do with what you mention also.

Sorry I didn't give precise thickness of S/S but if you like I can cut a bit in half and do same. Monies up front for that though in advance.

If you would like to know if the Gate is fit for purpose how about it's been backed into on several occasions every time it's come off it's runners but it's still like new. Cant say that for the car's that have backed into it all needed expensive work carried out on them.

Note to self every time I get something done on the house, or buy a new produce take it apart first just so I can answer question later.

Edited by fredob43

Hi Woody,Nick,spoonman and Jesse.

Round 2

Woody is correct that rust is indeed Iron Oxide.

All steel comes from Iron Ore extracted from the ground and is treated in different ways to make all Steel such as Stainless Steel

and Mild steel which is also called Carbon Steel as it has a high Carbon content ( Try Googling it ).

Carbon is the only non metallic element that is Magnetic.

Stainless Steel comes in different types .

Martensitic Stainless as types 410,416'431 are used mainly for machined items and comes in bar form and is classed as a magnetic Stainless Steel.

Ferritic Stainless Steel as type 430 as Woody states is also Magnetic and is only supplied in strip or sheet form.

Austenitic Stainless as types 302,304. 304l , 321 , 347 , 303 , 316 , 316L , and 310 are the most used Stainless Steels and is supplied in many forms as Tube , Pipe, Angle , Flat Bar , Chanel, Beams , sheet and Plate and are all non magnetic due to the low content of Carbon.

I have worked in this Industry for 53 years from a boy on the shop floor making Tea and sweeping up and I am a skilled fabricator in sheet ,plate and pipework and I was a coded welder in Mig,Tig and MMA in all positions and also coded for Titanium welding so I have been there, done it and worn the tee shirt.

Woody.

I think that you were unfair to Nick the Greek as he only wanted to know why Stainless steel gates were so expensive as he is not as cleaver as you with you knowledge of Steels?

Hi Woody,Nick,spoonman and Jesse.

Round 2

Woody is correct that rust is indeed Iron Oxide.

All steel comes from Iron Ore extracted from the ground and is treated in different ways to make all Steel such as Stainless Steel

and Mild steel which is also called Carbon Steel as it has a high Carbon content ( Try Googling it ).

Carbon is the only non metallic element that is Magnetic.

Stainless Steel comes in different types .

Martensitic Stainless as types 410,416'431 are used mainly for machined items and comes in bar form and is classed as a magnetic Stainless Steel.

Ferritic Stainless Steel as type 430 as Woody states is also Magnetic and is only supplied in strip or sheet form.

Austenitic Stainless as types 302,304. 304l , 321 , 347 , 303 , 316 , 316L , and 310 are the most used Stainless Steels and is supplied in many forms as Tube , Pipe, Angle , Flat Bar , Chanel, Beams , sheet and Plate and are all non magnetic due to the low content of Carbon.

I have worked in this Industry for 53 years from a boy on the shop floor making Tea and sweeping up and I am a skilled fabricator in sheet ,plate and pipework and I was a coded welder in Mig,Tig and MMA in all positions and also coded for Titanium welding so I have been there, done it and worn the tee shirt.

Woody.

I think that you were unfair to Nick the Greek as he only wanted to know why Stainless steel gates were so expensive as he is not as cleaver as you with you knowledge of Steels

Er the reason Austenitic stainless steel is non magnetic is due to the addition of nickel into the alloy which maintains austenitic phase of the material at room temperature, if you heat up carbon steel past a certain temperature it also becomes non magnetic, due to the phase change from the bcc structure to a fcc structure, it has very little to do with carbon content other than to change the temperature the phase transformation occurs at

So suggesting austenitic stainless steel is non magnetic due to low carbon content is incorrect

Edited by Soutpeel

I agree that with heat treatment you can make Austenitic non magnetic the issue regarding types 304L and 316L are both have a low Carbon content that what the L indicates which adds to the metals being non magnetic

Hi Soutpeel

My wording due to a low carbon content is I agree as not the only factor that the material is non magnetic or magnetic with a higher content.

Magnetism can also increase in these metals when cold working is involved as in Centreless grinding , the magnetic permeability may be increased .