Stainless less steel gates

Nickthegreek

Rob sure, it would be interesting to see the price variances across Thailand, incidentally just been watching videos on tig welding seems it takes practice! Not a degree. I doubt it's a cartel but I will through into the mix and to honest it's what got me started, my wife has an old school friend who sells granite in Pattaya, another massive margin! She had her house done by her business associate with a gate and 6 windows all for 30 k baht, that was at cost, same people for a gate quoted us 50 k baht yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So the same people who were so cheap for another job, quote now the same price as elsewhere ? Maybe there is a reason for. You will know there are gates and there are gates, but not all cost the same.

You post higher up that the price of material ranges from 1000 Bht per 6 meter length to 5000 Baht. That is a fivefold difference.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesse, thinking is all we have surely, what makes that a dangerous matter ?

Because you may think you can do it better and cheaper, but at the end it turns out to be the opposite.

Makes it dangerous for you finances.

Rob as we all know if you have a margin of 100% and no turnover or low turnover and costs that out weigh the margin then of course you will fail.

I am. Sure my businesses here would have failed if I had spent all the money we make and not saved to re invest. But that's basic business, anyway I digress, if we are lucky we will get some cost comparisons country wide and then those of us living in Thai economic boom towns will know what we can save if we drive 1 hour plus from home

Fredob43 where are you just out of interest

K.P.PHET just short of Tak and after N/Sawan on the 1 road some 5/6 hours from Pattaya and even further from you. Sorry they wont come all that way to sort out your gate.

Rob as we all know if you have a margin of 100% and no turnover or low turnover and costs that out weigh the margin then of course you will fail.

I am. Sure my businesses here would have failed if I had spent all the money we make and not saved to re invest. But that's basic business, anyway I digress, if we are lucky we will get some cost comparisons country wide and then those of us living in Thai economic boom towns will know what we can save if we drive 1 hour plus from home

I got a low margin and a high turnover myself. I don't want to wait for "big" clients I rather do it this way so i can loose a few clients.

Anyway I will follow this topic as I might buy myself a new gate too so I am interested in price. I also don't live in Pattaya and this month no time to look for prices.

In no way am I trying to attack you just hard for me to imagine that something with a real high margin isnt being copied unless its requires a high initial investment and / or skill. If so.. you pay for that.

Rob, I never felt that way, one thing I do know though is this thai s learn in a very compartmented fashion and would never dream of doing something they know little or nothing about, so to enter this field it's likely that would have been a welder for some one else first before they go it alone. My Observations of profitable thai business, tyres wheels car service and good repairs large air con shops steel and stainless steel. .All of these need either knowledge cash or both

Edited by Nickthegreek

Fredob43, dam right that's a little too far!

Looking out of my window whilst I'm tapping my gate is made out of three different sizes of S/S from about 5/8" to two inches + there are the pointed bit's on the top and Gold rings on all of the 5/8" upright's + some other bit's fancy ring's etc then there are the metal wheels and runners to stop the gate falling over all need to be accounted for in your pricing. N/B plastic wheel's are quieter but they don't last long that's according to the man that made the thing.

Sorry I don't do metric.

Someone mentioned Granite being expensive in some places it is due to transport costs. I wanted some for my work tops when I used to live in Pattaya and in the end decided not to go down that line but up here using the BKK granite company in Tak it's as cheep as chips working out at a little more than Ceramic tiles and can all be cut to order with sizes anything up to 3+mt square but you have to pick it up yourself.

Edited by fredob43

Fredob43, thanks I am glad you can also help point out these differentials

Sorry but for some reason I cant seem to put Photos in other wise I would post some to give you an idea of what I've had done. So far loads including sun roofs.

Hi Nick

Woody knows what he is talking about and it seems that he has been or is in the fab game of stainless steel manufacturing.

I also run a st/st fab shop here in the Uk .

The cost of labour is usually about 3 x the cost of what is paid to the fabricator .

Without seeing the design of the gates I would expect about 50 hours to fab the gates and the posts and at leased 20 hours with the polishing and pickling and passivating after manufacture and allow 2 men a day to install them plus the cost of the materials which the manufacturer will also add about 25% to this cost then the cost of post mix for installing them.

All in all I think that is a good price that you have been quoted as it would cost you about 200000 Bht in the Uk.

And Woody if you come to the Uk you can come and work for me?

Regards

Ryancr

• Like 1

Ryan, thanks well based on your labour rates and what a Thai will be paid 70 hours is a weeks labour, let's say wages in Rayong for this type of work about 500 baht a day maybe a touch more for the top dog and less for a lacky, so I guessed on about 10000 baht and materials 20k baht approx, making net cost 30 k. Still a very nice margin..

Edited by Nickthegreek

Hi Nick

Woody knows what he is talking about and it seems that he has been or is in the fab game of stainless steel manufacturing.

I also run a st/st fab shop here in the Uk .

The cost of labour is usually about 3 x the cost of what is paid to the fabricator .

Without seeing the design of the gates I would expect about 50 hours to fab the gates and the posts and at leased 20 hours with the polishing and pickling and passivating after manufacture and allow 2 men a day to install them plus the cost of the materials which the manufacturer will also add about 25% to this cost then the cost of post mix for installing them.

All in all I think that is a good price that you have been quoted as it would cost you about 200000 Bht in the Uk.

And Woody if you come to the Uk you can come and work for me?

Regards

Ryancr

We are not in the UK we are in Thailand and most thing's labour wise are a fraction of what they are there 7% vat to start with not that that's included most of the time.

To give you an example I have just had an 18s/mt kitchen fitted out with top of the range cabinets, 2/3mt Granite work tops granite splash backs, a large granite S/S island, cooker, extractor, two new ceiling and all the electric's + a retile of the utility room and a new S/S sink plus all the plumbing installed. Total cost less than £2000 or 100th bt inc.

So 60th Bt is over the top for just a gate.

Ryan, thanks well based on your labour rates and what a Thai will be paid 70 hours is a weeks labour, let's say wages in Rayong for this type of work about 500 baht a day maybe a touch more for the top dog and less for a lacky, so I guessed on about 10000 baht and materials 20k baht approx, making net cost 30 k. Still a very nice margin..

You say you run a business here. do your staff work a 70 hour week ?

Yes they do, 6 days a week 12 hours days. Oh and before you start, they get free accommodation, good pay and bonuses and they are all long term employees. I would v also add I have a lot of thai friends who work here in Rayong for major companies and they think nothing of a 12 hour day, more the norm. Incidentally I never employ women either

Edited by Nickthegreek

Yes they do, 6 days a week 12 hours days. Oh and before you start, they get free accommodation, good pay and bonuses and they are all long term employees. I would v also add I have a lot of thai friends who work here in Rayong for major companies and they think nothing of a 12 hour day, more the norm. Incidentally I never employ women either

And 4 hours overtime per day as well I assume. would hate to think you are deliberately breaching the Thai Labour Laws.

I am doing nothing illegal ! I don't need to explain my business practices on this forum. I did not see 304 sheet as that's mainly used in pressing surely ? Sorry i should add fabrication and extraction Not for gates!

I used to be a project manager for catering equipment in an old life so i do have some knowledge!

Edited by Nickthegreek

So how much does a 1200 x 2400 x 3mm sheet of 304 cost ?

For 100mm x 3mm x 6m I paid 1650.

That is 600,000sqmm. 1200 x 2400 is 2,880,000 sqmm. It is sold by weight but as an estimate it works out to 7900 Baht.

I saw 1.5 mm up to 5 mm you would need to be herculean for those sizes!

what ?

That is 600,000sqmm. 1200 x 2400 is 2,880,000 sqmm. It is sold by weight but as an estimate it works out to 7900 Baht.

Your estimate is damn close. last invoice lists it at Bt.7500.

what ?

Your estimate is close. last invoice lists it at Bt.7500.

Ok then can you list the od, wall thickness and grade of the stainless tube you can get. Iam only interested in sizes between 15mm and 40mm.

Thanks.

this is very thick hence my comment,

what ?

Your estimate is close. last invoice lists it at Bt.7500.

Ok then can you list the od, wall thickness and grade of the stainless tube you can get. Iam only interested in sizes between 15mm and 40mm.

Thanks.

this is very thick hence my comment,

Very thick?? What are we talking about now??

Normally 15mm to 40mm (diameter) would be classed as pipe, not tube. At these diameters it is also measured by ID, not OD, this changes at 12" (323mm I believe). WT, would be measured in thickness, now there's a surprise!

When talking about joining tube, this is normally joined using compression fittings (an olive is involved, and no, you can't buy these cheap in Pattaya Klang market), whereas pipe would normally be welded.

As you said earlier, and without intending to be offensive, you mentioned that you have some experience is st/st fabrication (kitchens I believe?), as the old saying goes......a little knowledge can be.........

We are talking about gate material not pipes, woody my knowledge extends to tables and basic fab, I am sure the sizes I was asked to price were 15mm to 40 mm which you now say is pipe, so maybe a little reading goes a long way ....

Edited by Nickthegreek

We are talking about gate material not pipes, woody my knowledge extends to tables and basic fab, I am sure the sizes I was asked to price were 15mm to 40 mm which you now say is pipe, so maybe a little reading goes a long way ....

Without being horrible, please advise me what type of, "gate material" you are referencing,

The only reason I got involved in this discussion was to try to help you from years of experience, but alas, you know better, and after all, it looks like a good opportunity!!!!