Good USB mobile internet dongle + prepay package?

Glen Garry

In 7-11 they have two True USB dongles for getting online on your laptop/computer. The main difference looks like the speeds.

Are these a good option or should I shop around for a better product? Are those ones locked into True?

If so any recommendations?

Also, I take it they use a sim card to get online - which is a good data package for this type of connection?

I won't be downloading any large files as can do that at home so will be mostly accessing web pages for a few hours a day and uploading the occasional photo (50k in size).

I would be using it in Bangkok and Phuket occasionally.

Thanks!

IME, some (most? all?) branded aircards are locked to the promoting provider, this is legal here. They may be able to be unlocked reasonably easily.

I always recommend an unbranded device, although these may be more expensive.

That said, if you only plan to use TrueMove H then I'd recommend you buy an aircard/SIM combo from them as they have great service/coverage.

I wouldn't worry about the higher speed, more expensive option, just buy the least expensive combo. You won't notice a difference.

Yes, these devices require a SIM (some standard.mini, some micro).

http://www.totalaircard.com/

For use here I would recommend a device which supports (minimally) 850/2100 MHz 3G.

There are dozens of mobile data plans - most recommend a monthly, unlimited, volume-based plan as this reduces the possibility of incurring additional charges. You can get 1 GB for ~ 430 baht; 2 GB for ~ 645 baht.

If you understand your data requirements, and speed is not a concern, there may be other, most cost-effective options: smaller, capped volume-based, time-based, etc.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/toppings/iplay/entry/654

DTAC and AIS are other options.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...