Extremists may be planning to target westerners in Thailand's southern border provinces

george

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On no stated evidence, and contrary to common sense and any surface level understanding of the separatist movement in the south having nothign to do with westerners, we oficially advise you to be afraid, of something, for some reason.

Yeah, let me get right on that.

Someone should tell them that Us vs Them propaganda doesn't really hold water with travelers.
Save it for the homebodies that watch too much tv

Ate these "extremists" Muslims looking to succeed from Thailand or Suthep's yellowshirt crew?

Almost certainly neither.

The southern Thai Muslims looking for greater autonomy or secession are by and large a nationalist political movement, not religious extremists - have been for years.

"Suthep's Yellowshirt Crew" - your words - are neither Muslim, nor secessionist, nor anti Western. Moreover they have nothing to do with the Far South.

Much more likely the Australians have picked up chatter about al-Qaeda types hiding or based in the southern provinces - not Thai Muslims but Arabs, South Asians or Pakistanis. Some of these extremists have been using Cambodia as a hiding place, and Thailand is almost as easy to hide in, especially if you're a foreign Muslim in the deep south.

The characters in your last graf and others have been in the South and in those provinces primarily, but not exclusively, for the past 10 or more years, in transit, hiding out, for r&r, regrouping and doing many other similar things. So merely their presence alone would not (necessarily) have resulted in the well informed Canberra government issuing this new most serious assessment and strongest advisory, which is not to travel there.

Police in Had Yai have for years been stationed visibly on numerous street corners and at major intersections, markets, malls, the airport and other places because the presence of local militants and foreign supporters makes a dangerous mix, meaning explosions in Had Yai. The army rides around Had Yai major thoroughfares brandishing automatic weapons.

So this advisory marks a sharp change in circumstances and conditions there, whether only temporarily or long term. Perhaps some of the foreign extremists who continually blow through the area have changed too.

I have to agree with you. The southern insurgency could draw in extremists any time - it probably already has. Especially from Indonesia. You are right.

Just to further extend our postings, I raised the question of why the change because I can't say, having been away from the area for more than a year now.

If the extremists have decided to radically expand their target choices to include Westerns, it must (or might) have happened pretty recently because there was never any word, indication, or hint of it as recently as around this time last year. I never felt personally threatened during all my time there, but I was always especially attentive anytime I went into Had Yai (once a month).

Perhaps the chaos in Bangkok involving the Ammart on either side is seen by the militants as an advantage, although if there's no effective government to deal with, it probably follows that it might be hard to get a deal.

I met a number of Muslims in the deep South from Afghanistan, second or third generation Thais - and very Thai about it. They consider coming here as a big step up in the world especially given they can make a buck for themselves and their family. To them the violence is what they left behind for the LOS, so they're strongly and quietly against it. Being Muslim, they don't get bothered by the extremists.

A bunch of us would occasionally hit our same favorite sandy beach restaurant and every time, with a mountain of plates and bottles on the table, it was Baht 500. Somebody's brother in law or some such. Can't knock it and who would want to. Cheers.

• Like 2

If "they" have changed their modus operandi and are now actively targeting westerners, I would think that there are currently lots of places in the south that offer much softer targets than the centre of Hat Yai. Krabi, Samui and Phuket immediately spring to mind.

If "they" have changed their modus operandi and are now actively targeting westerners, I would think that there are currently lots of places in the south that offer much softer targets than the centre of Hat Yai. Krabi, Samui and Phuket immediately spring to mind.

They're not that sophisticated so Krabi, Samui, Phuket are awfully far afield for the southern insurgents to pull off. Blending into the crowd in these places also is more difficult.

There are a good number of fahlang in the 3+1 provinces of Yala, Narathiwat, Pattani and Songkhla (Satun province remains unaffected and disaffected) at universities, schools of prathom or mathayom. Almost every resident fahlang I met in the deep South was in education, wanted to be in education, or was just passing through. Older resident fahlang are married to a Thai spouse, younger not, most being from northern Europe.

Resident fahlang there are pretty well attuned to their personal security and I get nothing at all from the several I've contacted today about this. So accurately or inaccurately, resident fahlang there remain comfortable where they are, what they're doing and with whom. Yet I haven't any specific reason to doubt or to question Canberra's assertions. As has been noted, wait to see what other Western governments may or may not say or do, such as the US,, Canada, UK, Germany and the like.

Extremists would have a number of targets there but not for long. As for abduction, the extremists would need to abduct every fahlang they believe they'd need because the rest of fahlang would be out of there in a cloud of dust.

So I wonder what they think they might be accomplishing by causing all or most fahlang there to leave and visitor fahlang to stay away. Ejecting fahlang in this way wouldn't necessarily give the extremists any new advantage as their purposes and ugly methods are entirely viable with or without fahlang present in the communities.

A sudden round of multiple abductions is about the only possibility the resident fahlang can think of.

They're not that sophisticated so Krabi, Samui, Phuket are awfully far afield for the southern insurgents to pull off. Blending into the crowd in these places also is more difficult.

They were sophisticated enough to plant a car bomb outside Phuket police station four months ago. What's changed? May have been a dry-run for all we know.

Blending into the crowd in these places also is more difficult.

In what way?

Edited by rajyindee

An odd worning seemingly mixing the political conflicts in BKK and some new danger posed by "etremests" in the south.

Not much difference suthep's thugs and extremists

So how many people have Suthep's followers killed? How many have been killed in the south by insurgents since this began? You're way out of line, as usual in your case!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Haat Yai's proximity to the border & lack of water obstacles places it firmly in front IMO.

Without a doubt. But my point was that there were softer targets, not more convenient targets.

Indeed. These people want a dramatic impact rather than a "minor incident" in some outpost. Bangkok is still a very likely and obvious choice and has any number of incredibly "soft targets". The open door visa policy is problematic. Anyone can come, Palestinian refugees from Syria....on tourist visas ,

An odd worning seemingly mixing the political conflicts in BKK and some new danger posed by "etremests" in the south.

They also "mix in" jet ski scams and many other potential problems as this is general advice for tourists traveling in Thailand, this does not seem odd to me.

It’s beyond evil, to distort a beautiful religion into something to be used as a shield to mask and fulfill someone’s homicidal tendencies. I try very hard not to frown within, the second I hear the word Muslim, but it takes effort. I would feel much better, if all true Muslims started being more vocal and active in combating these thugs, homicidal maniacs and criminally inclined psychopaths. The faster this type of scum is eliminated from this world, so whatever hell awaits them, the better.

too many aquiesce to their quest to stand as a majority, and some silently support their mission

the Wahhabi sect is promoting violent overthrow of the US, so if you think you have a problem now, wait until the US gives up

There are a good number of fahlang in the 3+1 provinces of Yala, Narathiwat, Pattani and Songkhla (Satun province remains unaffected and disaffected) at universities, schools of prathom or mathayom. Almost every resident fahlang I met in the deep South was in education, wanted to be in education, or was just passing through. Older resident fahlang are married to a Thai spouse, younger not, most being from northern Europe.

Resident fahlang there are pretty well attuned to their personal security and I get nothing at all from the several I've contacted today about this. So accurately or inaccurately, resident fahlang there remain comfortable where they are, what they're doing and with whom. Yet I haven't any specific reason to doubt or to question Canberra's assertions. As has been noted, wait to see what other Western governments may or may not say or do, such as the US,, Canada, UK, Germany and the like.

Extremists would have a number of targets there but not for long. As for abduction, the extremists would need to abduct every fahlang they believe they'd need because the rest of fahlang would be out of there in a cloud of dust.

So I wonder what they think they might be accomplishing by causing all or most fahlang there to leave and visitor fahlang to stay away. Ejecting fahlang in this way wouldn't necessarily give the extremists any new advantage as their purposes and ugly methods are entirely viable with or without fahlang present in the communities.

A sudden round of multiple abductions is about the only possibility the resident fahlang can think of.

An upsurge of violence is expected as the Thai militaty has been ordered to crack down on the south,

that usually means, more violence, more dead

The AU's government is reluctant to change travel warnings. Three days before the 2002 Bali bombing the USA issued a terror warning. Australia didn't. 88 Australians died. The US issued a warning, what two years back? When the " swedes" with 4 tonnes of fertiliser blew their legs off. The AU's gov have never gone out on a limb by themselves. Believe them!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They were sophisticated enough to plant a car bomb outside Phuket police station four months ago. What's changed? May have been a dry-run for all we know.

Blending into the crowd in these places also is more difficult.

In what way?

Canberra's warning specified the 3+1 provinces only. Canberra didn't even include the other majority-Muslim deep South province of Satun (90% Muslim population) which cheerfully gets left out of everything down there. So you did check out the link?

Anyway, to give some response to your specific question, Krabi, Phuket, Samui are not 80% to 90% populated by Muslims as are, respectively, Pattani, Yala, Narithiwat, and also Songkhla. Muslim extremists might be able to lose themselves in a crowd in Krabi or Phuket or Samui, but the point is it will not be as readily so as in the 3+1 provinces. And to get up to these locales, the extremists would need to take bombs that aren't going to explode along the way or to develop a capacity to build bombs at their new locales, neither of which is considered feasible. And these particular extremists have yet to show they can think outside the box of their little world of the 3+1 provinces.

• Like 1

An upsurge of violence is expected as the Thai militaty has been ordered to crack down on the south,

Your first sentence makes you a newsman to the thread and the second sentence is a True-False question you got correct so congrats.

• Like 1

An upsurge of violence is expected as the Thai military has been ordered to crack down on the south,

Your first sentence makes you a newsman to the thread and the second sentence is a True-False question you got correct so congrats.

I like "watchman" but dont deserve the honor,

thanks for the compliment.

sometime, it isnt easy to join threads, in peace

Edited by Scarpolo
  • Like 1

To be honest, I ONLY read the headline,

maybe there is more to it, but the headline just did not get me, ...

Who the H..L or F, we know, wants to waste there time amd bombs on a bunch of fat, drunk farangs ( like me, fat not drunk),

or poor Russians that need an extension for the visa.

I am no terrorist, hell I refused mandatory military service in my country, because I did not wanted to learn how to kill other people.

Sensation press or stupid terrorists, get a better target

Yes it is an odd warning. As for the South I have been wondering when they would take after the foreign tourists. In a way they all ready have with the bombs planted in civilian sites.

So far the government has done nothing about the problem down there other than send soldiers in.

Maybe if tourist start getting killed and beheaded they will.

Hard to say with the unrest in Bangkok.

With luck we will have a new government one that is willing to deal with the southern problem.wai.gif

I would say westerners have more chance of being involved in a traffic accident than being bombed or shot by extremists

You can bet your bottom dollar on that. As there is not going to be to many foreigners in the southern provinces.

It looks to me like the Thai government is the only one to not know there is a problem down there that requires more than the army to solve.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This displays a real lack of knowledge of the situation on the ground.

The real danger will come from Songkran, not BRN, RKK and that lot...they have never targetted Western tourists in the past and, had they recently changed strategies, I bet the Aussie govt would be the last to know...

Are you saying that Australia is a backwoods country run by dimwits with spears and bow and arrows. Actually Australia does have an intelligence agency and hey we even got electricity now and running water.

do you have any other means of long distance communications than the didgeridoo?tongue.png

Did you get rid of the boomerangs?biggrin.png

Canberra's warning specified the 3+1 provinces only. Canberra didn't even include the other majority-Muslim deep South province of Satun (90% Muslim population) which cheerfully gets left out of everything down there. So you did check out the link?

Indeed, I did. Canberra didn't refer to Muslims in its warning. thumbsup.gif

Anyway, to give some response to your specific question, Krabi, Phuket, Samui are not 80% to 90% populated by Muslims as are, respectively, Pattani, Yala, Narithiwat, and also Songkhla. Muslim extremists might be able to lose themselves in a crowd in Krabi or Phuket or Samui, but the point is it will not be as readily so as in the 3+1 provinces.

They probably thought the same about London and Boston and Bali, etc, etc.

And to get up to these locales, the extremists would need to take bombs that aren't going to explode along the way or to develop a capacity to build bombs at their new locales, neither of which is considered feasible. And these particular extremists have yet to show they can think outside the box of their little world of the 3+1 provinces.

Considered feasible by whom?

As I said, they showed they had the capacity four months ago to stick a car bomb in Phuket ... my question was, "What's changed?".

Edited by rajyindee

Missing airliner, increased hostility, on both sides, targeting of westerners and tourism, the lifeblood of many businesses in the south,

Thai Army ordered to clean it up, new commander appointed,

none of it sounds appetizing

Edited by Scarpolo
  • Like 1

The real danger will come from Songkran, not BRN, RKK and that lot...they have never targetted Western tourists in the past and, had they recently changed strategies, I bet the Aussie govt would be the last to know...

Are you saying that Australia is a backwoods country run by dimwits with spears and bow and arrows. Actually Australia does have an intelligence agency and hey we even got electricity now and running water.

Yeeehaaw, gonna get me one of them new fangled indoor outhouses soon!!!!!

they are called Dunnies or thunderbox's.

Quite a reasonable warning really , Its a perfect Storm right Now , and I'm certain they have some Intell ,

The others will likely follow .

Its pretty good Advice at all times anyhow . Unfortunately one must be careful with regard to travelling around all areas ,

And I dont think it would ever be a good idea to be hanging around Protest Sites .

There is a cost with regard Insurance when Warnings are Issued , now lets see which way the others go .

They don't seem to know who to avoid...on one hand the headline gives the impression that we should be wary of separatist extremists and the article seems more concerned with the political demonstrations for and against the government.

So maybe the a dice should be modified to

"Be afraid of everything and everyone" - should make for an enjoyable holiday?

Why last to know? You think the USA, Britain and Oz might not share Intel. In some ways, the Thais would be likely to be the last to know, particularly if any intelligence was gained internationally.

Let's see if the USA upgrades their warnings.

the U.S. upgraded their warnings this week, check with U.S. Embassy

Here in Phuket I am always fearful when I go to a crowded event. There are lots of muslims in around Kamala and for the last few years I have visited the annual muslim talks they have down there. The topics discussed are very anti farang... It is interesting that when I visit these muslim talkfest, the ladies working the stalls are very friendly, but the bloke just sneer at me with disdain.