Fruit shake stand profitability

tool84

I'm pretty curious about those fruit shake kiosks, you don't see them everywhere probably due to the effort, needing electricity, etc. But when I see someone doing that kind of business they are selling like crazy. I'm not sure if the margins are that great but when they do volume I guess it must be pretty profitable. For example on Thong lor there is a fruit shake place in front of the restaurant Spaghetti House, well they easily sell 300-400 drinks a day. There is a fruit shake place in the evening on Sukhumvit 38 Alley and they sell pretty much back to back, so must be many hundred in a night. Anyone know more about that business from someone doing it, margins, suppliers, cost, things like that.

A small size sells for 15 Bht and large for 20 Bht around our area. Assuming that you could get your profit margins to 50%, which would be a push (cups/ice/fruit/straws/syrup/milk etc...). 300-400 at 7-10Bht profit gives you 2100-3000 Bht a day at 400....now assuming again an 8 hour work day, that means making a shake every 1.2 minutes with no break... People do worse, but not for me thanks!

Oz

• Like 1

Thai people make an effort, and I like this. In Europe, they would just cash in on unemployment benefit rather than come up with ideas.

On the other hand, they wouldn't be allowed to just open a fruit-shake stand in Europe. They would have to get a ton of licences first.

• Like 1

These fruit shake place have been there for a while because they got good location and are making good money. Close to that fruit shake place on Thong lor soi 17 there is a noodle shop in front of the Family Mart that I heard from some Thais sells around 20 000 baht a day, pays 4000 rent to family mart and another 6000 for cops per month. Not even a day and he covers his "rent". Not too bad for a simple noodle shop.

Edited by tool84

A small size sells for 15 Bht and large for 20 Bht around our area. Assuming that you could get your profit margins to 50%, which would be a push (cups/ice/fruit/straws/syrup/milk etc...). 300-400 at 7-10Bht profit gives you 2100-3000 Bht a day at 400....now assuming again an 8 hour work day, that means making a shake every 1.2 minutes with no break... People do worse, but not for me thanks!

Oz

I doubt that fruit shake has much milk...not for that mentioned 15thb anyway...it is rather ice+ syrup ( thai way some salt too)+fruit, just blended.

That 50% profit margin quite easily there, pineapple, watermelon, lime, coconut, all cheap enough.

So is paper cups and straws.

The rent is another question, but probably 500thb/day can cover that 2 sqm needed somewhere?

I would think say 200 sold a day ( evening?) at say 10thb profit....

rings in 4000thb.

deduct cost, about 2000thb, deduct worker 500thb, deduct rent 500thb...

can leave maybe 1000thb for the owner?

now, it is in this setup no owner involved in regular run, investment maybe 50000thb? a booth/counter, icebox, fruit? Think of Dairy Queen, that might be 5-6 sqm on avarage.

your 2 mixers probably the biggest investment, at say 10-12000? the rest is a glorified food cart.

at 1000thb return a day for all this, a rather viable biz, if you can find the place at high traffic to run it.

even if you deduct cost for tea money, free samples, employee cheating, it beats many other biz. opportunities.

well, at least this is my take on the numbers. :)

too bad, at our rural place we have no such opportunity.

Mate's missus did it.

Got a good solid wooden bar, and good quality machines. Rented a good place outside a Teso-Lotat near their place on Suk in BKK. Cost around 60k I think to set up.

She was doing really well, forget the amounts but was about 1-2k profit a day.

Then after a year or two one of the main offices nearby was relocated and she lost half her customer base over night.

Haven't spoken to him since that happened.

I have read through on the Thai website for the similar topic.

The expericences of those who run fruit shake stands are quite varies . Some work ok , the other not ! It looks easy but quite has many small detail works.

Location is importance of course. Many say that it is better if yous stand surrounding by food stand than let say cloth stands or standing alone.

Costs and taste - use fresh fruit and add them in an appropriate amount when you do fruite shake. Nowaday it is popular to offer fruite like frozen strawbery ,bluberry (You can buy from Macro .It costs 75 Baht /kg and can be used for 15-20 glasses). Most of customers who buy fruite shake are quite health concern kind of folk so it is good to offer smoothies and yogurt.

Fruite squeezer machine - buy a good quality ! high speed is better.

Promotion and creativity - offer customers to taste it for free in the beginning / small talk with them like this fruite is good for your blood type.

Free samples, good idea, a timble full.

Also of course a loyalty card of buy 5 or whatever and get one free.

Or if there are lots of offices nearby, buy one on each day from Monday-Thursday get one for free on Friday.

Edited by Som wat