Changing tastes!

Angkor beer is what I call a real 'dust busting' drop. Great for washing away the dust after a day in the ruins.

For me Chang over ice (sorry) does the same job in Thailand especially at this time of year.

I found/find Beer Lao over rated. I think it's appeal is more in it's exoticness. "Hey man, I've been to Laos" type of thing.

I agree about the Chang over ice.....

It still retaines its taste even when well watered, and as I'm nearly always driving, the ice stretches it out, and keeps it super cool. With a self-imposed limit of 2 (or occasionally 3 over a long evening) big ones, with plenty of ice that helps keep you hydrated, then the morning after feeling of having an elephant pissing in your head doesn't materialise... Only becomes a problem when I overdo it at home...

My daughter drinks magners.

Just not my taste.Bit sweet for me.

Yeh! Where can I get cider in Buriram?

I think both Paddys Bar and the Swan Bar sell Magners.

Nookies Delights (google it) outside of Nang Rong sells Thatchers Cider.

Magners has an excellent stout as well. Irish Times offers it on tap, and I like it much better than Guinness.

None of the Thai brews can be referred to in any way, shape or form as beer. The real stuff comes from one place only. The UK. Try Banks's Beer in the flavour of Rev. James or failing that have a drop of Abbot Ale.

In this country I am sadly reduced to Singha Beer as the most palatable.

I agree. The UK has the best beers followed by the US craft beers which are interpretations of British styled beer.

Rev James used to be available in Singapore, but other Brains beers have been available in Thailand, such as Brains SA Smooth and Brains Black, even on tap. Abbot ale is sold in Phuket by Big C in Patong and Phuket Town, but they are selling the stronger Abott Reserve. The "normal" Abott Ale can be found at Irish Times bar.

Villa Market supermarket has now a huge supply of English Beers, they have beers from St Austell, such as Proper Job and Tribute, Wadworth, the fantastic Hook Norton brewery, the excellent Sambrook's London brewery, Wells & Young and the Beer Kitchen. I just had a Well's Bombardier (can) at 145bht. It's my session beer together with Fuller's London Pride. If Sambrook's beers were a bit more affordable, I would drink their Junction and Wandle Ale in big quantities. Villa Market also offers Young's Special London Ale, London Gold and Double Chocolate Stout.

At Central Supermarkets they offer Fuller's London Pride, ESB, IPA and London Porter, and Shepherds Neame Spitfire, Double Stout and Bishop's Finger.

Mind you, that not all the supermarkets have the full range as described, but some if them do.

Most of these English beers came this year. Last year only a few Greene King beers and Fuller's were available.

Edited by BestBitterPhuket

My first posting .

An interesting topic . My lady owns and runs a small restaurant near Surin . We do a big weekly shop Macro and daily market top ups . The one thing that I find intriguing is the pricing of beer . No matter how much you want to buy e.g. 1 box of Leo large bottles is 568 bht and the price does not vary or discounted even if I want 20 boxes , 568 bht per box . I have approached 3 other local restaurants / bars with the idea of buying in bulk to achieve a discount but the cost of a large delivery even when split 3 ways is too much and storage is a problem . So a journey to Macro or any large supermarket for beer is not viable . I can buy at the local 7/11, Tesco etc for the fixed price of 568 bht . At first I had thoughts of a cartel in operation but obviously wrong . The price is set and fixed by the brewery . Strange way of doing business .

Any thoughts , opinions or info would be interesting .

Cheers,

Superal

Started on Heineken then moved to San Miguel Light but that's only available in cans in my town, so I usually go with Tiger when I feel like a couple beers at home. The mid-sized Tesco about 10 minutes drive has been stocking the big Asahi bottles the past 4 or 5 months but not in my town. Asahi is a nice change of pace. I rarely drink Singha. Tried a Chang in 2008, got 1/2 way through and had a headache, never done it again.

In Bangkok and even Pattaya you are spoiled for choice if you don't mind paying more. I haven't been to Chiang Mai lately, but I would imagine it is a similar situation with many different kinds of beer available.

I really like the Belgian Abbey dark beers such as Westmalle Dubbel and Rocheforte 10 or Mared Sous 10, Tripel Karmelite is another great one tho not dark, but just as heavy and complex as a dark beer. Chimay is more widely available, same style and nationality, but not quite as good and just as expensive. The Belgians are complex beers that are very heavy, very strong (8-12% alcohol) and expensive but amazing. Not really good beer for sitting outside in the heat and drinking but in a nice air conditioned place or during the cooler season.

A good alternative is Fuller's ESB or Fuller's London Porter which I have seen at Tops in the basement of Central Shopping Pattaya, they are both lower in alcohol and cheaper than the Belgians but still higher quality and and better value than your usual mass production largers. Villa carries a great value dark German beer called Weihenstaphaner Korbinan, also strong at 8+%, but great chocolate, coffee and cherries taste to it. Some of the bars in Bangkok are now selling beers by an excellent American brewery called Rogue, Nut Brown Ale and Chocolate Stout are fantastic beers, but expensive. Also the Londoner on Sukhumvit Soi 33 in Bangkok makes its own bitter which I personally think is great, but most English people who seem to know about bitters don't seem to rate it very well. Can't beat it at 100 baht a pint between 4-7 pm and all night on Wednesday.

I am missing something in your list ! There's a german beergarden in the Rama 3 Road, whose owner is brewing his own dark and light beers !!! You would be surprised how well this stuff tastes ! You can even obtain kegs from him, for your garden parties.

Name is TAWANDANG GERMAN BREWERY and no, I am not the owner . . . . . just had the chance to drink his beers on a birthday party of a friend, and I have never tasted a better beer when being in Thailand !

Their website is http://www.tawandang.com/eng/home.html

Edited by crazygreg44

Not that I have had one but I thought San Miguel light was a light beer but i think it's something to do with low carbs

So many suggestions I'll be like a kid at a lolly shop next time.

Thank you all!

You should drink some Tawandang LAGER BEER next time you are in Bangkok. . . . . .and their DUNKEL (dark) BEER . . . . Gosh, you will miss it back in the bush in Buriram !

• Like 1

Oz has got the best beer by far...at least its served cold not like UK and US crap clap2.gif

Foster's and VB might be the two worst beers in the world, followed by everything Mexican.

foster's you wouldn't want a warm one,i wouldn't want one at-all.

tried thatchers gold cider yesterday not a bad taste at-all.

looks like fabphil has been on the brains sa.[scull attack]

Not that I have had one but I thought San Miguel light was a light beer but i think it's something to do with low carbs

So many suggestions I'll be like a kid at a lolly shop next time.

Thank you all!

It is, I find it light and refreshing (if really cold, as it should be), and for the occasional night on the piss, doesn't do me in the next morning like the heavier beers.