Load Centers/Circuit Breaker Boxes

gmmarvin

I am building a new house and have questions on Load Centers. I am going to use Schneider circuit breakers and load boxes.

I am not going to use ELCB or RCCB as my main circuit breaker do to nuisance tripping. Instead, I will use ground fault interrupter circuit breakers (CB's with a test switch with the squiggly pigtail) on my bathroom showers, outside, and power kitchen outlets.

Please respond and thank you.

Any particular reason for choosing Schneider? They are good quality, but not cheap and only Schneider breakers fit. A DIN based box may prove better value.

Anyway, your scheme to use RCBOs on individual circuits requiring protection is good to go.

Be aware that you will have to watch your sparks like a hawk to ensure they don't 'borrow' or cross-couple neutrals or you'll never get your RCBOs to stay engaged.

I would go the extra mile and protect all outlet circuits with an RCBO rather than just kitchen and outside (don't forget bathroom as well). Maybe have one unprotected circuit for the freezer.

We recently bought a new chest freezer (Sanden) and it was told us that it had to be grounded (three pin plug) and connected to an ELCB, or what ever name you use for this.

What do the manufacturer's instructions have to say about earth leakage protection?

There are very few appliances that actually require earth leakage protection. Many recommend it (as do I), but I wouldn't think a Class-1 freezer when correctly grounded would be one of them.

Ok Arjen, no need to scan the manual. Up to you if you follow the requirements (I wouldn't but I'm not going to advise that).

The freezer won't explode or fail if you don't use an RCD.

Out of interest what country are Sanden appliances from? It could be a local requirement for that country.

EDIT I see that Sanden Japan make a lot of beverage chiller cabinets, it could be a carry over from these potentially being in a public area where RCD protection would be a must..

Not directly related to the op

but Sanden Intercool is a joint venture between Yammarat Refrigeration Group of Thailand and Sanden corp of Japan.

The units sold here are made in Thailand. and the manual is as arjen states re the RCD.

Daughter bought one about 3/4 years back (from Makro), they seemed pretty cheap for the size but have found that it is quite inefficient. Uses about 30% more electric than a bit larger size Panasonic one installed in similar environments. Daughter uses it on the house RCBO and does not get nuisance trips.

Also over the 3/4 years she has had it she has had no problems.(touch wood).

Just posted for info.