Can you recommend a Tesol course in Pattaya?

I recently applied for a teaching job at a regional uni in Thailand. They told me that because I don't have any formal teaching qualifications I would need to do a Tesol course.

I found a 40 hour online course for $200 but they said this is not acceptable. I think that I might be forced to pay $1000 to one of the small institutions that offer the month long Tesol certificate. I would prefer to do one in Pattaya whilst all the trouble is occurring in Bkk.

Can you recommend a Tesol certificate course. The uni said the British council might offer one but I do not want to spend a month or so in bkk.

thanks for your help

OK a few general ideas on how to choose a TEFL course:

1. A course is only as good as the trainers. They should have at least 5 years of ESL teaching experience and AT LEAST a cert of their own, hopefully a diploma or a masters.

2. The course should have at least 100 hours of total study time.

3. The course should have you spend at least 6 hours teaching real students, the more realistic the situation the better, and have you be observed by an experienced teacher.

What makes it even better? Having many schools in many countries. That allows it to be more recognized and you do not need to worry about it closing down when you need a replacement cert!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you really want to enter the game tarred with the brush forever "Pattaya"?

Really don't want to admit to stepping foot in the city around proper Thai folk.

I wouldn't hire you just for the fact you could not even bother to go to cm, cover your tracks and have far better choice of courses. 98% of Pattaya is transient so you have no excuse.

Do you really want to enter the game tarred with the brush forever "Pattaya"?

Really don't want to admit to stepping foot in the city around proper Thai folk.

I wouldn't hire you just for the fact you could not even bother to go to cm, cover your tracks and have far better choice of courses. 98% of Pattaya is transient so you have no excuse.

can we presume that you have vested interest in courses in CM?