new apartment, no phone line..

kirstymelb101

I've recently moved into an unfurnished apartment, which has no phone line. I wan't to set up a phone line so I'm able to connect my modern and use 3bb broadband connection. I'm no gizmo at electronics and will pay a technician to set this all up of course. But is this even possible?

Thaidown is correct !

But to answer the question if it is even possible, I had a new Phone Line installed in my 5th Floor Condo to put in a second Internet line (TOT and 3BB), after I got permission from the Condo Management, a Techie had the cable installed in about 3-4 hours. Total costs (excluding Internet Provider) was 3500 THB

• Like 1

Your internet service provider installation costs will be (or should be) free (except for your monthly payments) but you will have to pay the guy that will install the phone line from the exchange box in the building to your apartment.

When I applied for my 3BB line, I applied at around 12pm on a Saturday and got the message that they will install the new line within the next 7 days.

At around 5pm the same day, the Condo security guard called that 3BB was here and were installing the new line, however the line from the Exchange Box in the building to my room wasn't installed yet.

The Condie Techie and a friend did that two days later.

• Like 1

y

I don't know about 3BB because I use True Internet. For reasons I am not going to get into here, I needed to have the internet moved from the house next door to mine to my house (townhouse). The internet has always been in my name. So, I went to the True shop to arrange for them to "move" the line. They said it would be free of charge. I am guessing this is because I am a long-term customer. The treated the entire thing like a 'new install' from the moment they arrived a few days later. I am not even sure they have disconnected the old internet.

For years, Thailand has been in the 'stone-age' of the internet. For whatever silly reason, all of the internet service providers have always required a phone line to get you up and running with internet. For some friends living in locations that are a bit out of the way, installing a phone line has been a problematic issue. Much to my surprise, I was told that times have changed for True Internet. No phone line was required! They simply drilled a hole near to the place where I told them I wanted the router to be located. The connected a line (coaxial cable) to the one on the power line in front of my house. The ran the line to the table and plugged in their own router. My own router was no longer needed. No fee charged. No deposit taken for the router. I was up and running within minutes.

Maybe,just maybe, you don't need a phone line after all. Welcome to 2014!

• Like 1

We have had a few new 3BB DSL installs over the past month or so, all in new housing developments, and there was no fee from 3BB or any other party for pulling cable. This could be a result of an exclusivity arrangement with the property management company?

Note that 3BB does not provide traditional analog telephone service on their DSL installations, as do True and TOT (again in DSL applications), just in case that may be a requirement.

FTTx and DOCSIS access technologies may use coax, copper or fiber for the final run to premises.

I would suggest not deciding upon cost alone. Try to find out if you will have a dedicated line or sharing with everyone else in the building. And then ask about H/W outside. You might decide it would be worth getting your own dedicated service, whether ADSL or fiber optics/cable.

My neighbor moved into a new house close to a year after I moved in. I had 2 TOT telephone lines, using 1 for ADSL. TOT gave him a telephone line but said their servers and local hardware could not support another ADSL to his house until they finished their upgrades in 4 months. They finished and he added the ADSL.

So ask lots of questions, be very specific, make sure you know exactly what you will be getting. You may be happier with a dedicated cable at the added expense.

Edited by noise