How do other nationalities view Thais and Thailand

laolover88

Koreans look down at the Thais thinking of them as "low".

Do you know how many Korean companies in Thailand use Thai engineers? Do you even know how many Korean companies are in Thailand? My wife works with Korean managers and owners of other Thai business on a daily basis. Do you know how many Koreans come to Thailand to play golf and have vacation homes here?

Well....its good to know that the thais hold the birmese people in high regard !!

Is this topic about how Thais view other countries? The last I heard Thailand invaded and occupied Burma in 1942. So I don't think they really like each other. Of course there is the fact that we get along with the Japanese but I must be missing your point? I know a lot of Koreans in Thailand and a couple of Thai ladies who have gone to University in Korea. They get along well but maybe you have something to contribute that I'm missing?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know how many Korean companies in Thailand use Thai engineers? Do you even know how many Korean companies are in Thailand? My wife works with Korean managers and owners of other Thai business on a daily basis. Do you know how many Koreans come to Thailand to play golf and have vacation homes here?
I have been playing golf with a lot of Koreans in Thailand. And they all tell me the reason they come here and do this is: because it's much much cheaper to play here. And also much more easy to get a start time at the golf courses here in Thailand.

They don't play golf here because they love Thai people

Edited by larsjohnsson

I have been playing golf with a lot of Koreans in Thailand. And they all tell me the reason they come here and do this is: because it's much much cheaper to play here. And also much more easy to get a start time at the golf courses here in Thailand.

They like the food. They like the hotels. They like the golf courses. They like the prices. They like the caddies (yes I know). They spend more on the air fare and accommodations than they ever would on golf at home.

Are you beginning to understand something here? biggrin.png

"The last I heard Thailand invaded and occupied Burma in 1942"

Huh?? You need to get out more Thailiketoo

Commenting on me instead of my post is an ad hominem flame and forbidden in Thai Visa posting rules.

You need to read some more.

I'd have to agree with the assertion from Koreans, although I'm not Korean. I lived there for 4 years and when I was making the transition to Thailand, the Koreans were shocked I'd move from their country to work here. But Koreans tend to have an inflated patriotic opinion of themselves.

Koreans look down on everyone same as Japan

"The last I heard Thailand invaded and occupied Burma in 1942"

Huh?? You need to get out more Thailiketoo

Commenting on me instead of my post is an ad hominem flame and forbidden in Thai Visa posting rules.

You need to read some more.

I was commenting on your post, I don't know you. By telling me to "read some more" it would seem you are likewise breaking the TV rules.

But thanks for prompting me to read some more and I see the Thais occupied only the states of Kayah and Shan, not exactly invading and occupying the whole of Burma so we were both right.

Many farangs that I come across that have not been to Thailand think that foreigners are here just for the pussy. Farangs that have visited here nearly all want to come back for the beaches, mountains and elephants. All look at Thailand as a third world country.

Many farangs that I come across that have not been to Thailand think that foreigners are here just for the pussy. Farangs that have visited here nearly all want to come back for the beaches, mountains and elephants. All look at Thailand as a third world country.

I came back for the medical care. Does that mean I think Thailand is a third world country?biggrin.png

Each year, over a million foreigners plan their medical travel around a Thailand holiday, Hmmm.

Edited by thailiketoo

They like the food. They like the hotels. They like the golf courses. They like the prices. They like the caddies (yes I know). They spend more on the air fare and accommodations than they ever would on golf at home.

No they don't spend more here. I suppose you are not a golfer and don't understand those prices.

I have heard people saying they come back for the beaches. But never for the elephants or mountains

No they don't spend more here. I suppose you are not a golfer and don't understand those prices.

One Week Air fair for man and wife 40,000 baht. Hotel for a week 14,000 baht. Food and entertainment, 20,000 baht. Green fees 14,000 golf cart, 4,000. Wife shopping 50,000. Green fees Korea 13.000 baht per day.

Ya sure.

Edited by thailiketoo

A common derogatory comment made to me by citizens of Korea ,China Vietnam,Malaysia,Singapore,Taiwan,Indonesia ,Burma ,Cambodia and India is that Thai's are known as the ''Jackals of S E Asia'' mainly its about the business ethics of Thailand but also based on mai pen rai attitudes and ignorance and xenophobia of other peoples cultures among many Thai,s

The only places I never heard this expression was Phillipines

comment made by those named citizens or by yourself or other long timer's....?

So far thailand has been my most visitef country. China 2x, malaysia 4x but Thailand 5x.

THAIS are very friendly, attractive, happy , childlike, greedy for money with a superiority compex over most other Asians.

I guess that is why they contracted out the Skytrain and Suvarnabhumi airport and the new bullet train.

Odd kind of superiority complex eh?

Edited by thailiketoo

THAIS are very friendly, attractive, happy , childlike, greedy for money with a superiority compex over most other Asians.

I guess that is why they contracted out the Skytrain and Suvarnabhumi airport and the new bullet train.

Quality and price.

Quality and price.

If they were superior they would have the best quality at the lowest price. Like I said odd kind of superiority complex eh?

My friend jokingly says , " You can get the monkeys out of the jungle , but you can't get the jungle out of the monkeys ".

Who are the monkeys?

the monkeys used to be a pop group in the late 60s,,

I believe Toscano was implying that Thais were monkeys in the jungle and he is a racist bigot. He wrote, "You can get the monkeys out of the jungle , but you can't get the jungle out of the monkeys." I don't think that by any stretch of the imagination means a rock group.

• Like 1

Have a malaysian female friend.....she ranks thailand at the bottom of this part of asia, she says that thais only care about money......looks down on the mentality.....funny to mention though ....she regularly goes on holiday to phuket for diving.......so.....

She probably has lot of personal issues to even comment..................one way or another. Life is what we make it. The end.
Well....her father is very sick now...so u correct about personal issues. Lucky you are a stable factor in Thailand without personal issues, most likely.

According to her there are 4 categories of countries in this part of Asia....

A) singapore, south korea, japan and china

cool.png malaysia, india

C) thailand, vietnam, indonesia

D) Birma, Laos, Cambodia

As a Malay she wrote me this. Just her opinion. Need to say that she is an educated woman, travelled and has a good job at an international company.

I only write down what she told me so its not my opinion.

I have an American friend that lived and taught English in Seoul for 2 years. He told me that Japan, South Korea, and China are at the top of the totem pole in Asia and he said that SouthEast Asia is considered the "Mexico" of Asia because most of Thais in countries like Korea and Japan are housemaids, nannies, or just cheap labor.