flying out of bangkok internt'l, do they ask for credit card w eticket

bina

in other words, on my flight from suvanaphum to chiang mai bangkok air specifically states i have to have my credit card that i bought the ticket with, to show them. but if its the same credit card (we only have one) that i used to buy husband's tv-bkk bkk-tv eticket, does he need to show the credit card also? if so, how does one do that?

what do people do when thye buy etickets with a sibling's or parent's credit card (many of us dont have credit cards, let along international ones, so use someone else's with their permission, and then give them the cash. our hotel has reservations that are filled with credit card numbers that have the statement, 'do not charge to this card, will be paid in cash'... written in the commments area.

(i cant believe everything has changed so much since last time we flew anywhere 6 yrs ago)

and i really really do not want husband gallivanting around issan muu baan with a credit card. he uses cash in hand.

and last question: if i have a passport on me, do i need my country's id on me also. would obviously prefer not to bring with, as its just another item to get lost/stolen. its enough thta i have my drivers licsense on me, no?

hubby only has thai and israeli passports, no drivers liscenses, nor thai i.d. as his has expired. should he bring his israeli id card. id really really perfer not. if its lost, its such a problem to get a new one (biometric, have to answer a billion questions etc)...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some airlines or travel agents request this. If the card holder is not travelling, then it is probable that he will need to accompany you to the airport to show the card. It may also be possible to go in advance, either to the airport or to a local travel agent, if one exists. Your passport is the only ID you need in a foreign country.

• Like 1

...in other words, on my flight from suvanaphum to chiang mai bangkok air specifically states i have to have my credit card that i bought the ticket with, to show them.

If you are together and in possession of the credit card then there'll be no problem. Check in rarely request sight of the original credit card, but, if they do and your husband is unaccompanied and can't produce the credit card that you booked with then he could be refused boarding.

It's very easy to prearrange safe passage for family members without the need for the original credit card but needs to be dealt with at the time of booking and not on arrival.

...if i have a passport on me, do i need my country's id on me also. would obviously prefer not to bring with, as its just another item to get lost/stolen. its enough thta i have my drivers licsense on me, no?

Only bring the ID that you absolutely require for your travels. A photocopy of your passport on your daily excursions will suffice. I always leave excess cash, credit cards and my wife's and I passports in the hotel room safe.

I also retain a spare credit and debit card on my person and a quantity of cash to split the risk if one or other goes missing [don't put all your eggs in one basket].

We also have a decent travel insurance policy. It isn't so expensive, really.

Never had a problem and don't want one, but I try to have Plan B within reach at all times.

hi thanx. i only acompany him from TV... but on the way back he returns after me.

as for spare cards, we dont have. we have one. and i have a non international direct pay card (debit).

and no safe in his parents' open air shack. therefore i prefer to not have items that can be 'borrowed' by children or others.

how does one arrange things for family if they dont have the credit card? can i print out the bank /credit card page showing the charges?

Options...

1. Try contacting the airline in advance to let them know that your husband does not have a credit card.

2. If he has a smartphone, take pictures of the front & back of the card & save the pictures on his phone.

3. If he has no smartphone, give him a photocopy of the card.

4. He can check-in online or through a kiosk terminal if available.

• Like 1

Thai Airlines always asks for the actual credit card. They also state that the card holder must be on the flight.

You used to be able to download a consent form and fax it back to them but the last time I tried to do this they would only accept the original signed form at their main office in Bangkok, not at the airport or any other smaller offices. So be prepared if flying on Thai

• Like 1

Air Asia pulled this dirty trick on me and my wife once when we decided to meet in Phuket, she was coming from BKK and me from Hat-Yai after returning from work. Her flight ended up being canceled and that was a good thing as my plans had changed and we met in BKK instead. Then I rebooked her and mine flights from BKK and they still wanted to see the CC. Never had any other airlines pulling this cr@p on me...

By the way, when I fly, I don't show them my passport any longer, the Thai driver's license is just fine!

Even my Canadian DL worked fine, I tried that a few times.

No need to carry a PP for the domestic flights.

Have foreigners stopped having to carry their passports/or a copy, now in Thailand ?

Correction: No need to show the PP for the domestic flights.

You're right, we need to carry it on us, or at least a good photocopy of it including the visa and entry stamp pages. I always have mine on me, but never had a need to show it in the recent years.

I have been asked to show the credit card at checkin.

As for ID, a passport is all you really need, but I usually do not carry it with me (unless flying), but I do carry a photocopy of the passport ID page and my visa and entry stamp.

Driver license is fine for domestic flights even if I've just come from overseas and therefore I have my passport on me I still only show my Thai license. Passports tend to abused in this part of the world, for me I only use mine for what they were intended crossing borders visa extensions and showing eligibility for obtaining drivers licenses etc and no I don't carry my passport here unless in the above circumstances ie just came from abroad, about to go abroad visa extension etc. In Vietnam and China the authorities may insist on a passport for domestic flights too (different countries different rules) but in Thailand they haven't become a police state with random id checks like in Russia etc yet as far as I'm aware. And yet time and time again tv posters warn about the need to carry a passport in Thailand at all times. Just like everything else in Thailand laws and regulations are flexible and there's really very little reason to make a case out of nothing. It's the same with Thai road rules you can drive drunk speed etc nobody cares and the chances of getting caught are low.

Anyway back on topic. If your husband is Thai even a dual citizen he should bring his Thai passport seeing he doesn't have a Thai card. For you passport, passport copy, or drivers license or national id card preferably a Thai license though a foreign license with English may be accepted too.

Regarding the cc issue Thai Airways accepts indemnity forms at all Thai city offices worldwide but not airport offices. For example you could be in Beijing and the traveler flying from Bkk to Khon Kaen and thus verify your credit card in Beijing and the traveler would be allowed to fly.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Thai Airlines always asks for the actual credit card. They also state that the card holder must be on the flight.

You used to be able to download a consent form and fax it back to them but the last time I tried to do this they would only accept the original signed form at their main office in Bangkok, not at the airport or any other smaller offices. So be prepared if flying on Thai

I had this experience recently.flying Bangkok-Chiang Mai on the way back from Australia. My wife was staying in Bangkok for a few days so I came back alone.We purchased the ticket,with her credit card, in advance at Thai Airlines CM head office and there was no problem,there would have been if we had booked on line.

Its really a pain in the backside if ,like me , you don't have a credit card and having a debit card changes from airline to airline.

You must show the CCard that you purchased the ticket with, you have answered your own question , in the past children sometimes on their own going to see Aunty ( Told to tell a Lie) or someone impersonating a relative, with children , would front up and board the plane, unfortunately these were people trafficking children, hence the crack down on E/Ticket purchase.

From one particular airlines website:

In some countries, for security reasons, the holder of the credit card used to book a ticket or group of tickets must be one of the travellers on that itinerary, and will be required to show the actual credit card at the airport check-in counter prior to receiving boarding passes.
This may/will be different depending on which airline, they all have their own rules.

Usually, you can go to the main office of which ever airline is in question and show the credit card in advance, then no need to show on date of travel. ( I have done this personally).

Best to call the local number on the ticket/website for address, visit the office and deal with it ahead of time.

Edited by djhotsox

It was about 4 years back when I had that issue with AA, if I recall it correct, they only required to present a CC if the name on the card didn't match the passenger's name. If I also recall it right, there was an option with AA to book your etickets online with a CC and then change the payment to a cash at the ticket counter at the airport... Something along these lines. It was mean to prevent the use of stolen CC, definitely nothing to do with any traffickers...

Best is to call the airline in question and find out.

In Thailand if the credit card is not seen when authorising a transaction, the merchant has no recourse against chargebacks.

Typically airlines will take your credit card details upon booking, then verify it at the airport to protect themselves, some of them have offices which you can attend prior to show your credit card but otherwise unless you have an established reputation with the airline or at least some of their staff, then you're out of luck I'm afraid.

I bought a ticket for a friend from expedia's UK's site last month, and when he used the ticket about ten days ago, he wasn't asked for the card that was used to pay for the ticket.

UK web site is probably your answer.

What airline was it?

Was the flight from UK as well?

well going before husband to office is out of question since he is there before me and leaves after me and a bus trip from korat just for that seems stupid.. and i need my credit card here, he doesnt need it there. not to mention that my card is in my previous married name cause for kibbutz beurocratic purposes it was easier then changing over to my thai last name, but my israeli id number is the same and appears everywhere, which is how people check things here anyhow. so i iwll print out the ticket purchase charge from our bank and hope they wont ask him.

just whne u think it is easier to do things on line, it gets complicated.

and if someone did a bank transfer? how do u prove that?/

forgot to ask, if the ticket was purchased thru a travel agent, is the credit card then needed? as his ticket was purchased thru a travel agent here.

mine is from directly on line.

forgot to ask, if the ticket was purchased thru a travel agent, is the credit card then needed? as his ticket was purchased thru a travel agent here.

mine is from directly on line.

Your online booking is still through a travel agent. They will have a call centre or online customer service.

Contact them and provide the documentation they require. I previously had to scan and email a copy of my credit card and passport to the online agent for my wife's flight to the UK to avoid the requirement of producing the credit card. It was a pain free experience.

Last week I bought my girlfriend a ticket in Australia with emerates from Bangkok to Sydney return and paid on my credit card. The airline told me this is common for people to buy ticket for relatives etc. and she just needed to show e- ticket and passport. I sent her an image of the credit card as well. The airline only wanted the e-ticket no problem.