Trying to recycle in Samui

Wow, just put your recycling in a bag next to one of the green bins.

You mentioned "green bins".

So, next question would be........Where?

Where are these green bins?

Thank you.

Edited by MantisMan

Thank you.

They are all over the island. They are mostly provided by the government for the use of people who PAY for garbage collecting. (This seems to be a strange concept to a lot of people.) Some individuals buy their own bin. (I did - and I pay for all of the houses that I manage.)

They are green in colour - not concept!

If you place your items to be recycled by one- the scavengers will come and take them away. If the scavengers don't - the garbos will and then recycle it themselves.

• Like 2

Thank you.

They are all over the island. They are mostly provided by the government for the use of people who PAY for garbage collecting. (This seems to be a strange concept to a lot of people.) Some individuals buy their own bin. (I did - and I pay for all of the houses that I manage.)

They are green in colour - not concept!

If you place your items to be recycled by one- the scavengers will come and take them away. If the scavengers don't - the garbos will and then recycle it themselves.

Thank you for your reply.

Will be on the look out for those.........

When I was living in Japan, they had a solution, though complex or not, I do not know.

They burn their trash, which is usually located near the public swimming pools, thereby heating up the water for free. Makes sense.

If I remember correctly. You must buy your plastic bags from the supermarket:

Moeru-burnable-red bags (usual trash)

Moerunai-unburnable-yellow bags (like your iron or pots and pans, tins, cans, foil)

Organic-green bags (unfinished food scraps)

They are way way ahead of the game.

Edited by MantisMan

These trash cans come in various colours... although most on main ring road seem to be green in colour, but on side soi's they are mixed....

I am sure the original idea was to use separate cans for garbage or recycling etc.

SAM_2127.JPG

Blue or some times yellow or red... in some places there is just a wire mesh catchment area.

SAM_2129.JPG

Be considerate and place recyclables in a separate bag...thumbsup.gif . then the pickers don't have to delve through rotting food etc! bah.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thank you, Khun Per. Where do you live? Perhaps your lady would like to pick up our garbage too (for a fee, of course).

To OP:
I live away from the Ring Road with no public garbage collection, so I have an agreement with a garbage collector – a lady on motorbike with sidecar – who comes every morning and collects the garbage from my house and the neighbouring restaurant. Pay her 10 baht a day, i.e. 300 baht/month. She nicely clean up everything if some soi-dogs have been mingling with garbage bags, so worth the money.
I separate the glass bottles, plastic bottles and other reusable plastic, and cans in a separate clear plastic bag, so the content is visible – collects till a bag is full – and place it next to the black garbage bags. That stuff is worth money, so I wish the kind “garbage-lady” to have it; therefore I will only set the bottle-bag out late night, as it otherwise disappears before the garbage collector arrives. That is the “old answer” of how to dispose of alu-cans and other reusable items: Just put them next to garbage, they will be gone within the hour… smile.png
Reusable paper and cardboard can also go in a separate bag – best a clear bag, so content is visible – I don’t, as there is another old lady in the neighbourhood collecting that, whom I wish to support.
Any reusable or recycle item I will place next to the garbage and it’s always gone – again, I have to place it late if I wish my usual “garbage-lady” to benefit from it.
Wish you welcome to Samui in July. wai2.gif

• 5 years later...

Hi all, I am on Koh Samui for at least another month due to flight restrictions. I would like to use my extended time here to help the environment and clean up some local beaches. I stumbled accross this forum when researching about recycling points and would love if the contact details for the THA green project could be passed my way! Any info about recycling points near Lamai would also be very appreaciated too. I have struggled to find any contact for the green project so far so any help would be great. Thanks a lot, hope to hear from some of you soon!! Take care all x