Kalasin: where to stay or grab a beer?

bottledwater

Hello knowledgeable residents of Kalasin,

I am on a motorbike trip around the Isaan region. I'll be in Kalasin in a few days. Can anyone recommend a cheap hotel. Th cheaper the better, more money for food and beer.

Which brings me to my next question. Where to relax and have a beer? I've looked at earlier threads so I have an idea already, but you never know whats new out there. Also any tips on anything worth seeing out that way would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi,

I had some good fun in tawan deang near the bus station if I remember well. Some rooms in the area too.

Tawan deang, quiet till 9, full at 10 and crazy atmosphere from 11 the night I was there. We were in for just a beer, ended up staying till closure with a bottle of SangSom ;)

Enjoy your trip

Khao Wong, about 2/3 of the way from Roi Et to Kalasin city has a good (and cheap) little motel run by a very friendly Aussie.

No attractions in the immediate area but a good spot if you find yourself thereabouts at 'beer o'clock'.

PM if you need contactt details.

I heard there is a farang bar in Kalasin called Scotts Bar. Maybe a FB seach might show more details???

Scott's Bar is pretty much opposite the bus station in Kalasin. Stand with 7-11 behind you and look forward, you will see the sign (scotts-kalasin.com). Plenty of hotels around that area and near the lake (a short walk from the bus station) around 400-600bt per night.

PM me if you fancy meeting for a beer.

totster :)

• Like 1

Here is link to 4 hotels in Kalasin, price between 200.- and 520.- bath: http://www.hongpaklakroi.com/?cid=1074827&subid=186148

20101112_59431.jpgSupakavanich Hotels
Price : 220.00 Baht
Kalasin
2012816_43380.jpgHotels Phaiboonplace
Price : 200.00 Baht
Kalasin
2012816_44961.jpgResort Ratchaphruek
Price : 400.00 Baht
Kalasin
2012824_24824.jpgBlue Hotel
Price : 520.00 Baht
Kalasin
Edited by bander
  • Like 1

I heard there is a farang bar in Kalasin called Scotts Bar. Maybe a FB seach might show more details???

Scotts Bar from the bus station stand at the 7/11 look across the road the street that runs down to 7/11 take it up from 7/11 you will immediately see the sign on the right side of the street, one minute I will say "North" from the 7/11. Frequent it regularly.

Here is link to 4 hotels in Kalasin, price between 200.- and 520.- bath: http://www.hongpaklakroi.com/?cid=1074827&subid=186148

20101112_59431.jpgSupakavanich Hotels
Price : 220.00 Baht
Kalasin
2012816_43380.jpgHotels Phaiboonplace
Price : 200.00 Baht
Kalasin
2012816_44961.jpgResort Ratchaphruek
Price : 400.00 Baht
Kalasin
2012824_24824.jpgBlue Hotel
Price : 520.00 Baht
Kalasin

My personal opinion of the hotels listed above,

Supak - old, get a better room elsewhere, more like bt350 p/n

PaiBoon - Good rooms in the new building, not far from the bus station and Scotts Bar - I think around 600bt

Resort Ratchapreuk - There are hotels as good as this closer to the bus station/town centre - price unknown

Blue Hotel - again, a bit outside the town, plenty of places closer to the centre.

There is a cluster of hotels the opposite side of the lake from the bus station, all good clean places with usual amenities around 400bt

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lampao Dam has a resort and beach area to relax. I never stayed at the resort but stayed in the area before. Kalasin City is not far and there is the dinosaur park if you are looking for something else to do.

Condos by the lake in Kalasin 400 per night, central location. You can use the Rimpao hotel swimming pool for 80 Baht. Nightime.....

Tawan Daeng, Scott's (both near the bus station) about a minute on your bike. MV nightclub ( near the new plaza), 'L' nightclub , near the Rimpao , again about a minute from the condos. Food wise IM AROI is a good restaurant, as is the staekhouse on the corner of the main crossroads near Pittayasan school. Cheap food in the night market if required. You'll like Scott's bar as the owner Alex is a nice guy ( even tho he's a scouser) :).

Mate, you just made me feel homesick...... Scott's Bar is the place to go...... plenty of people in there to give you ideas of what to do in the area. As for where to stay, I recommend the Khruea Pan on the far side of the lake along the back road to the Rimpao Hotel...... clean and cheap enough at 400Bt.

• Like 1

I'm glad you found the Soontaree Apartment 16/104 Pradit Street, 043-816-814. I was going going to recommend it, but was too late.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Issangeorge

• 2 months later...

Hi

Am reviving this thread because I will also be on a road trip, stopping at Kalasin (my first time there) and would appreciate advice on accommodation. My only absolute requirements are a partitioned or curtained shower & free wifi. I don't care if it's in the town or a few miles outside. My budget goes to 700 baht a night (needn't include breakfast).

Some names already mentioned sound ok. I hope I can just turn up, look them over and decide - or will they charge a higher rate to 'walk-in' customers like that? If that's the case i'd better choose 'blind' and ring ahead. Maybe feedback here will make it easy to choose.

Thanks a lot.

Hi

Am reviving this thread because I will also be on a road trip, stopping at Kalasin (my first time there) and would appreciate advice on accommodation. My only absolute requirements are a partitioned or curtained shower & free wifi. I don't care if it's in the town or a few miles outside. My budget goes to 700 baht a night (needn't include breakfast).

Some names already mentioned sound ok. I hope I can just turn up, look them over and decide - or will they charge a higher rate to 'walk-in' customers like that? If that's the case i'd better choose 'blind' and ring ahead. Maybe feedback here will make it easy to choose.

Thanks a lot.

I can't really help with Hotel Bath / Shower layouuts, because after living here for the past 12 years I haven't been inside of a local hotel in the past 10+ years... But I will comment on whether to just "Walk-In" or try to book in advance... Truthfully most places in Kalasin would have a hard time figuring out how to handle an "Advanced Booking", and I really doubt that they would even consider charging anything more to anyone who just Walked in, even if it's a Farang... Most people in Kalasin just don't think that way unless they have spent years living and working in the Tourist Areas of Thailand...

Pianoman

• Like 2

Hi

Thanks a lot.

I can't really help with Hotel Bath / Shower layouuts, because after living here for the past 12 years I haven't been inside of a local hotel in the past 10+ years... But I will comment on whether to just "Walk-In" or try to book in advance... Truthfully most places in Kalasin would have a hard time figuring out how to handle an "Advanced Booking", and I really doubt that they would even consider charging anything more to anyone who just Walked in, even if it's a Farang... Most people in Kalasin just don't think that way unless they have spent years living and working in the Tourist Areas of Thailand...

Pianoman

Thanks for that info on Kalasin hotel rates. I've found that hotels which are listed on booking sites like Agoda will hesitate to give a walk-in the same rate. But I'm glad to know that Kalasin hotels - and maybe others in Isaan - don't do that.

When will you be passing through Kalasin then Triffid?

totster smile.png

Haven't got a firm date yet but it'll be in the first half of July. From comments in this thread, above, I gather that Scott's bar is the farang residents' hub - and I daresay your own haunt? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does this thread still have a bit of life in it?

Well, from what I remember of Scott's bar, the expat community of Kalasin seemed to be throwing them back quite liberally.

Now that might just be a delusion brought on by all the beer I was drinking trying to keep up with them . . . . .

Does this thread still have a bit of life in it?

Well, from what I remember of Scott's bar, the expat community of Kalasin seemed to be throwing them back quite liberally.

Now that might just be a delusion brought on by all the beer I was drinking trying to keep up with them . . . . .

"throwing them back quite liberally" seems like an accurate description.. burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

I stayed at the Phaiboon Hotel. Good enough. May be back in the area again in the coming days. Was thinking of the resort beside a lake that was mentioned - anyone have a further comment on it, and some directions? Also where to eat fresh fish cooked thai style or simply?

I stayed at the Phaiboon Hotel. Good enough. May be back in the area again in the coming days. Was thinking of the resort beside a lake that was mentioned - anyone have a further comment on it, and some directions? Also where to eat fresh fish cooked thai style or simply?

Thursday or Saturdays are good days at the moment if you want to meet up with a few people. There are a few hotels by the lake, the other side from the bus station, all pretty much the same price and quality. Best thing to do is to take a look and see what you fancy. I like the Kruepan which is on the access road to the Rimpao hotel.

Fresh fish - There are a few places around depending on the time of day, I'll try and find out some directions, there are some nice places on the road by the main TOT building.

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster