Where To Buy Genuine Windows 7 In Thailand?

davejones23

<snip>

But if someone can explain a way to get the taskbar (bottom) to show all the time and have x-to-close at top right of all windows it would be a big help. I just find it so frustrating starting a new program when something opens in full screen, as the taskbar and start button disappear.

To have the Taskbar show all the time,

Right Click on the Taskbar

Select Properties

Click on the Tab Bar "Taskbar"

Deselect there "Auto-hide the Taskbar"

To have Taskbar shown even in the Tile Screen you have to install Windows 8.1 Update 1

That will make the "Tile Screen" look like this

post-10213-0-57848900-1397794800_thumb.j

81update100_r1_c1.jpg

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried at the obvious locations in Pattaya recently, but the only real Windows 7 version that was available was OEM, 64 bit.

I did install it on my new HP computer and, after a small glitch that was sorted out by the techie at Wattana Systemation, all seems well. Microsoft has happily supplied me with numerous automatic updates, so it apparently passed their scrutiny.

As for buying hardware with Windows preinstalled, I thought that was the rule rather than the exception. I'm guessing retailers buy the things without the OS so they can save money by slapping a virus infested piece of pirate crap on it.

Hate to break it to you, but viruses/malware is not the main issue with the pirated versions of windows, unless you get them from some really dodgy sources. It's that people modify the OS by adding registry tweaks, skins and unwanted software to the installation. Removing addins or reversing the tweaks can be more trouble than it's worth.

Personally I prefer an untouched copy so that I can modify it myself to the way I like my OS to work, and also to remove as much M$ bloatware as possible.

• Like 2

I bought Original Windows 7 at the apple i store.

They sell them for people that want to install windows on an apple computer and only original licensed software will work.

It gives me a dual use computer as apple comes pre programmed to partition the harddrive for mulitple operating systems

I agree with you about win8, piece of crap

• Like 1

<snip>

But if someone can explain a way to get the taskbar (bottom) to show all the time and have x-to-close at top right of all windows it would be a big help. I just find it so frustrating starting a new program when something opens in full screen, as the taskbar and start button disappear.

To have the Taskbar show all the time,

Right Click on the Taskbar

Select Properties

Click on the Tab Bar "Taskbar"

Deselect there "Auto-hide the Taskbar"

To have Taskbar shown even in the Tile Screen you have to install Windows 8.1 Update 1

That will make the "Tile Screen" look like this

attachicon.gifStart_screen_Taskbar.jpg

81update100_r1_c1.jpg

Very helpful. Much appreciated. I'll give it a go later.

Try Advice Distributers. They have Win 8.1 at 3990 baht (Win 8.1 Pro at 4990 baht. They also carry Windows 7. Retail stores in nearly every reasonably sized city in Thailand. The first update is out and has many tweaks and improvements Find out more at www.eightforums.com My recommendation is Windows 8.1

But I hate everything about Windows 8 and 8.1. I find it incredible frustrating.

you can switch windows 8 back to Classic, which makes it much the same as Win 7, but just get an oem version of Win 7 and get on with it, this is Thailand, sorry but you sound like at bit of an old women!

Or maybe I'm someone who wants an OS that suits me and not one that suits Microsoft. Apologies if this attitude offends you. Sorry,but you sound like someone that will accept any old crap that a company decides to sell you.

Try Advice Distributers. They have Win 8.1 at 3990 baht (Win 8.1 Pro at 4990 baht. They also carry Windows 7. Retail stores in nearly every reasonably sized city in Thailand. The first update is out and has many tweaks and improvements Find out more at www.eightforums.com My recommendation is Windows 8.1

But I hate everything about Windows 8 and 8.1. I find it incredible frustrating.

you can switch windows 8 back to Classic, which makes it much the same as Win 7, but just get an oem version of Win 7 and get on with it, this is Thailand, sorry but you sound like at bit of an old women!

Or maybe I'm someone who wants an OS that suits me and not one that suits Microsoft. Apologies if this attitude offends you. Sorry,but you sound like someone that will accept any old crap that a company decides to sell you.

• Like 1

What is the exact model of the Sony and the DELL?

I've seen many models of Dell that have Linux. My Sony is a Vaio. Bought around two years ago and been trouble ever since.

Exact model would include specific numbers. There are many differing models of VAIO...aren't there?

Which model of Sony and exactly which model of DELL is under consideration.

You are confused as to how the licencing system works.

The exact Sony model is irrelevant, as I no longer want to use it. I don't have an exact Dell model in mind because I haven't chosen one yet. I'm discussing Windows 7 here.

Good luck in your quest. You should consider that there are people here who know considerably more than yourself about the subject. So it is not for you to decide what is relevant or not....otherwise you are limiting yourself to the knowledge that you have now.

Get the point? The point was to pick a likely DELL candidate...otherwise why the hell are you discussing buying a DELL in the first place? You've written that you've seen a few, but rejected them because they have Linux. So which were the one's rejected?

Next time, just answer the question instead of wasting my time. You are just going around in circles and wasting everyone's time.

Good luck in your quest. You should consider that there are people here who know considerably more than yourself about the subject. So it is not for you to decide what is relevant or not....otherwise you are limiting yourself to the knowledge that you have now.

Get the point? The point was to pick a likely DELL candidate...otherwise why the hell are you discussing buying a DELL in the first place? You've written that you've seen a few, but rejected them because they have Linux. So which were the one's rejected?

Next time, just answer the question instead of wasting my time. You are just going around in circles and wasting everyone's time.

You obviously haven't read the posts properly. I want to buy a Dell laptop because I've had a few in the past and I love the fact that the come with onsite next business day support. So, I want to buy a Dell. Simple.

I have seen a few Dell laptops in Thailand, but they have all had Linux. I don't want Linux, so that is why I am asking where to buy Windows 7, because that is what I want. Once I have a copy of Windows 7, I'll then choose a Dell laptop and install Windows 7.

Is that simple enough for you to understand?

I'm asking where to buy Windows 7. I'm not asking advice on buying a laptop. So what models they are is irrelevant to the discussion.

You obviously haven't read the posts properly. I want to buy a Dell laptop because I've had a few in the past and I love the fact that the come with onsite next business day support. So, I want to buy a Dell. Simple.

I have seen a few Dell laptops in Thailand, but they have all had Linux. I don't want Linux, so that is why I am asking where to buy Windows 7, because that is what I want. Once I have a copy of Windows 7, I'll then choose a Dell laptop and install Windows 7.

I'm asking where to buy Windows 7. I'm not asking advice on buying a laptop. So what models they are is irrelevant to the discussion.

I've read the posts properly. It's just that you THINK that is the way it needs to be done...because of your limited knowledge. I KNOW how it works and so asked you specific questions. But you THINKING that you know better has simply wasted time, both mine and yours.

So good luck in your wild goose chase.

Seems a hostile environment whistling.gif That's what the "Windows guys" love I guess...clap2.gif

I just not keen on people who waste my time. He obviously knows very little, but finds it fitting to tell the people who do, that their questions are irrelevant or their knowledge null and void, because "he was told this..... or he read that...." when he simply does not even understand what he is reading.

So to move forward, I asked for immovable facts. Brand names and model numbers of the machines in question. Perhaps there are no Drivers for Windows 7 available for the DELL in question. That is just one consideration. But Mr Indecisive/Know it all/Nothing seems to think that he doesn't need to provide any salient info.

I've read the posts properly. It's just that you THINK that is the way it needs to be done...because of your limited knowledge. I KNOW how it works and so asked you specific questions. But you THINKING that you know better has simply wasted time, both mine and yours.

Yes, I'm sure you know better. Now run along and help someone who needs help. I don't need your help, so don't bother.

Yes, I'm sure you know better. Now run along and help someone who needs help. I don't need your help, so don't bother.

Yeah...of course you don't need help. That's why you are posting here. Just another *****. (Fill in the blanks for yourself).

Ha ha... Windows (operating system). Makes people productive. Evidence above. Must be hard with all the "activation" etc. stuff to keep you in the "legal" side thumbsup.gif

I have always bought laptops with Windows pre-installed. Dell laptops in Thailand all appear to have Linux installed.Once I have Windows 7 installed I can indeed work productively. If I bough a Linux or Mac OS I don't see how that would help.

Ha ha... Windows (operating system). Makes people productive. Evidence above. Must be hard with all the "activation" etc. stuff to keep you in the "legal" side thumbsup.gif

I have always bought laptops with Windows pre-installed. Dell laptops in Thailand all appear to have Linux installed.Once I have Windows 7 installed I can indeed work productively. If I bough a Linux or Mac OS I don't see how that would help.

Did you check for compatibility with Windows 7 or have you decided that it is irrelevant?

• Like 1

Did you check for compatibility with Windows 7 or have you decided that it is irrelevant?

Yes, they are compatible with Windows 7.

Careful. When installing Linux it's irrelevant, but now windows versions can matter.

Microsoft has cut a deal with the big computer manufacturers and there is now a bios made by Insyde Corp. which has the product ID in it. When you install Win 8 on it, there is no stop screen where you can enter the product ID. That is installed in the registry from the bios in enycryped form and you can no longer see the product ID in the registry.

I don't think this is true of home built computers where you buy a motherboard as a single item.

This won't happen if you install Win 7 on that same computer. You'll get the stop screen for your product ID and can validate. The risk is that there will be no drivers for your new box for Win 7. Most mass manufacturers are building for Win 8 and see no need to provide a driver for a laptop which should come with Win 8 installed.

I bought a new Toshiba Satellite laptop which came with 8 installed. I decided I didn't like it and wiped the drive to install 7. The problem was that I used the clean command from the dos prompt and wiped all partitions including my recovery partition. I activated and formatted the drive and installed 7.

THEN I discovered that there are no drivers for 7 for this new laptop. I had no choice, stupid me, but to order a recovery USB stick from Toshiba for $US40 and put my computer back to where it was. I had to send the exact model and serial # to get the stick.

The laptop had 8 pro and I had a disk so I first tried that. No go because the installer looked to the bios for the prod. ID and installed it, and it didn't match my disk.

Bottom line is that if you buy a new laptop and buy 7, you may not find drivers so checking for 7 compatibility IS an issue.

• Like 1

UEFI with CSM or BIOS? Have you seen the Windows 7 Driver and Application disc or seen them available for download via the DELL website? Since you don't know the model numbers, how can you know this? Oh...."you were told...".

Anyway, I've wasted enough of my time on this nonsense.

I would happily get Windows 8.1 if I could get it to work like Windows 7. But I have set Windows 8.1 to classic look, have start button like it used to be,etc, but some things still open whole screen and then I have to swipe screen to get rid of it.I find it really slows down my work and i lose concentration and focus. When you're working in the zone, the last thing you want is these stupid screens breaking your train of thought. When working on a Windows 8.1 laptop I find I'm having to concentrate more on Windows than the work I'm actually doing.

I understand your annoyance and I hate the tile interface too. It is indeed an abomination.

Classic Shell (free) will get round most of the problems with Win8. If you find that some applications are still opening in the full-screen/tile mode (pdf and photo viewers for example, or Skype), just install a suitable replacement such as Adobe Reader for pdf, Skype desktop, any photo viewer you like. Then uninstall the tile app from the Start screen. I never see full-screen apps on my Win8 laptop and I never see the start screen either, and it suits me fine.

If you really want to get Win7 then several shops in Tukcom Pattaya have it, so I dont imagine it would be hard to find in a shop in Bangkok.

You can use an OEM version without any problems. You will be able to re-use it on future PCs also. The only thing you wont get is MS support, but who would waste time calling MS for anything anyway? They dont have any answers.

• Like 1

Careful. When installing Linux it's irrelevant, but now windows versions can matter.

Microsoft has cut a deal with the big computer manufacturers and there is now a bios made by Insyde Corp. which has the product ID in it. When you install Win 8 on it, there is no stop screen where you can enter the product ID. That is installed in the registry from the bios in enycryped form and you can no longer see the product ID in the registry.

I don't think this is true of home built computers where you buy a motherboard as a single item.

This won't happen if you install Win 7 on that same computer. You'll get the stop screen for your product ID and can validate. The risk is that there will be no drivers for your new box for Win 7. Most mass manufacturers are building for Win 8 and see no need to provide a driver for a laptop which should come with Win 8 installed.

I bought a new Toshiba Satellite laptop which came with 8 installed. I decided I didn't like it and wiped the drive to install 7. The problem was that I used the clean command from the dos prompt and wiped all partitions including my recovery partition. I activated and formatted the drive and installed 7.

THEN I discovered that there are no drivers for 7 for this new laptop. I had no choice, stupid me, but to order a recovery USB stick from Toshiba for $US40 and put my computer back to where it was. I had to send the exact model and serial # to get the stick.

The laptop had 8 pro and I had a disk so I first tried that. No go because the installer looked to the bios for the prod. ID and installed it, and it didn't match my disk.

Bottom line is that if you buy a new laptop and buy 7, you may not find drivers so checking for 7 compatibility IS an issue.

Dell still sells laptops with Windows 7 installed, even in the UK. I have already called them and discussed it.

Once I have chosen a laptop I'll double check,but I don't expect an issues at all.

I would happily get Windows 8.1 if I could get it to work like Windows 7. But I have set Windows 8.1 to classic look, have start button like it used to be,etc, but some things still open whole screen and then I have to swipe screen to get rid of it.I find it really slows down my work and i lose concentration and focus. When you're working in the zone, the last thing you want is these stupid screens breaking your train of thought. When working on a Windows 8.1 laptop I find I'm having to concentrate more on Windows than the work I'm actually doing.

I understand your annoyance and I hate the tile interface too. It is indeed an abomination.

Classic Shell (free) will get round most of the problems with Win8. If you find that some applications are still opening in the full-screen/tile mode (pdf and photo viewers for example, or Skype), just install a suitable replacement such as Adobe Reader for pdf, Skype desktop, any photo viewer you like. Then uninstall the tile app from the Start screen. I never see full-screen apps on my Win8 laptop and I never see the start screen either, and it suits me fine.

If you really want to get Win7 then several shops in Tukcom Pattaya have it, so I dont imagine it would be hard to find in a shop in Bangkok.

You can use an OEM version without any problems. You will be able to re-use it on future PCs also. The only thing you wont get is MS support, but who would waste time calling MS for anything anyway? They dont have any answers.

I am still experimenting with my gf's Windows 8.1 laptop. If I can get all the issues sorted out then I might get Windows 8.1 instead.

But my main issue this week was that I can't find genuine Windows OS here. Every shop I asked in said they would install fake Windows. That is the real issue, not any compatibility issue that many are going on about. So even if some think I should get Win 8.1, I still can't get it in this town.

But I will be in Bangkok in a few days time, so everything will be sorted. Luckily my Sony is just about working again so I can wait a few days.

Thanks to those that helped. Issue resolved.

Dell still sells laptops with Windows 7 installed, even in the UK. I have already called them and discussed it.

Once I have chosen a laptop I'll double check,but I don't expect an issues at all.

The machines sold in the UK are not the same that are sold in Thailand..... what is wrong with this man? Going back to me asking the exact model numbers. The Driver compatibility is but one issue.

Starting to see how you've just wasted time by being belligerent? Ignorance might be bliss, but not on a Tech forum.

I am still experimenting with my gf's Windows 8.1 laptop. If I can get all the issues sorted out then I might get Windows 8.1 instead.

But my main issue this week was that I can't find genuine Windows OS here. Every shop I asked in said they would install fake Windows. That is the real issue, not any compatibility issue that many are going on about. So even if some think I should get Win 8.1, I still can't get it in this town.

But I will be in Bangkok in a few days time, so everything will be sorted. Luckily my Sony is just about working again so I can wait a few days.

Seriously? What a timewaster! Where is that 'ignore' button?

Seriously? What a timewaster! Where is that 'ignore' button?

"Anyway, I've wasted enough of my time on this nonsense." cheesy.gif

Dog-with-bone_zpsc5b86c9f.jpg

The machines sold in the UK are not the same that are sold in Thailand..... what is wrong with this man? Going back to me asking the exact model numbers. The Driver compatibility is but one issue.

Starting to see how you've just wasted time by being belligerent? Ignorance might be bliss, but not on a Tech forum.

What is wrong with you? I have already spoken to Dell in Thailand. I will buy a laptop when I get to Bangkok next week. I don't need your help, so no need to offer it. I have everything sorted out to my satisfaction. It might not suit you, but that's your problem. Deal with it.

Also, shops in Thailand already successfully install Windows on the laptops with Linux. It's not an issue, so stop pretending it is.

Where's the ignore button? No-one's asking you to read or contribute to this thread. So just ignore it. You don't need a button. Or are you incapable of doing something so simple? Maybe you have some psychological issues that need resolving.

So I'll tell you once again. I have all the info I need, so no need for any more input from you.

Edited by davejones23
  • Like 1