1 year ED visa extension test

Going for my 1 year extension tomorrow at chiangmai immigration. My school told me I may be tested. I have just finished a 1 yr course and have enrolled in a 2nd yr.

Just curious if anyone has been through any form of testing at chiangmai immigration.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not in Chiang Mai but here in Bangkok you attend the MOE after 12 months study and answer four simple questions in the Thai language.

คุณชื่ออะไร

คุณอายุเท่าไหร่

คุณเป็นคนชาติอะไร

สิ่งที่คุณอาหารที่ชอบทาน

I personally have never been tested at immigration.

Hope you find someone who can help in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

Not in Chiang Mai but here in Bangkok you attend the MOE after 12 months study and answer four simple questions in the Thai language.

คุณชื่ออะไร

คุณอายุเท่าไหร่

คุณเป็นคนชาติอะไร

สิ่งที่คุณอาหารที่ชอบทาน

This is an English language forum, it would have been useful if you had quoted the questions in English also.

คุณชื่ออะไร

คุณอายุเท่าไหร่

คุณเป็นคนชาติอะไร

สิ่งที่คุณอาหารที่ชอบทาน

What is your name?

How old are you?

What is your nationality?

What is your favorite food?

• Like 1

The answer to # 4 หอย

my experience re extending ed visas multiple times. limit conversation to thai language and you wont have a problem. although those questions are quite basic they never presented me with written questions.

• Like 2

I had to go to MOE for a in person interview with one of the staff at the school.

The school should set up everything for you.

After my interview the MOE sent paper work to my school showing I was approved for another year. Then I gave that to immigration for another 90 day.

But like I said the school set up everything, appointment, paperwork, etc.

I've heard of people being tested but never been formally tested myself while on the ED visa. Mind you I write as much info as I can on the immigration forms in Thai language. Actually, I have heard that some people get a real going over as regards to their language skills. I think it may depend on the general mood in the office, the particular officer you talk to or the manager in charge, your personal presentation and that of your photos and whether or not your school as a "good working relationship" with the immigration office.

I've heard of people being tested but never been formally tested myself while on the ED visa. Mind you I write as much info as I can on the immigration forms in Thai language. Actually, I have heard that some people get a real going over as regards to their language skills. I think it may depend on the general mood in the office, the particular officer you talk to or the manager in charge, your personal presentation and that of your photos and whether or not your school as a "good working relationship" with the immigration office.

Yeah I agree. Im enrolled at walen. I noticed all the chairs at immigration have the walen website on the back. Very sneaky to get advertising into a govt office. Fair to say they have a good relationship with immigration.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The last sentence doesn't make sense to me. Looks like the word order is all messed up.

No, it isn't. It just says: " What's your favorite food to eat?"

What's your favorite food would be: " อาหารโปรดของคุณคืออะไร"

I've stayed in Thailand for 2 years on an ED visa. The first 6 months I was never tested but after that grace period, I was tested every time I went to immigration for the 3 months extension. This was always a simple conversation in Thai with an immigration agent. Really nothing to be scared of, at least if you speak some Thai at all. That was at Pats immigration so it could be different depending on the location where you stay.

คุณชื่ออะไร

คุณอายุเท่าไหร่

คุณเป็นคนชาติอะไร

สิ่งที่คุณอาหารที่ชอบทาน

What is your name?

How old are you?

What is your nationality?

What is your favorite food?

One year for that? I knew how to answer those questions after the first week in Thailand.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Very VERY easy, too easy ! I read and understood the questions and can answer easily and I never even took a class...5555

There are , of course variations like

"Do big fish eat little fish"

"Is water wet"

" Where can you buy pineapple"

Be aware !

The last sentence doesn't make sense to me. Looks like the word order is all messed up.

No, it isn't. It just says: " What's your favorite food to eat?"

What's your favorite food would be: " อาหารโปรดของคุณคืออะไร"

Yes it is. It says, "thing that you food like to eat" - it's complete rubbish in Thai, makes no sense at all.

I don't understand why there seems to be so much angst about this issue. Surly people taking classes are actually leaning Thai language. I some how get the feeling that by and large these language schools are visa mills for those that are not old enough, are not married or don't want to get married. They primarily want stay in Thailand without the hassle associated with tourist visa's. My understanding is that this type visa is relatively expensive. I sure hope you are getting your monies worth and learning Thai.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't understand why there seems to be so much angst about this issue. Surly people taking classes are actually leaning Thai language. I some how get the feeling that by and large these language schools are visa mills for those that are not old enough, are not married or don't want to get married. They primarily want stay in Thailand without the hassle associated with tourist visa's. My understanding is that this type visa is relatively expensive. I sure hope you are getting your monies worth and learning Thai.

The "visa" is not "expensive" but the school fees may well be !

They primarily want stay in Thailand without the hassle associated with tourist visa's. My understanding is that this type visa is relatively expensive. I sure hope you are getting your monies worth and learning Thai.

When I was in a ED school, learning Thai, there was about only 1/4 of students at courses...

In my case it was not really expensive (less than 20'000 baht to stay here 1 year), and anyway far more convenient, comfortable and cheaper than any other visa option I could have found (Yes, I was not yet 50, not married,...)

PS: I used this school to learn Thai, but I am probably not as smart as some members here who are able to read and understand Thai after their first week in the country... wink.png

• 1 month later...

My friend just finished her interview at MOE last month.After the 1 yr ED Visa the officer allowed her another 6 months.It is possible that after her 6 months she can get another months?.Actually the officer told her that she get the beginner,intermediate lesson,so she need the last one(I forgot what the term)..

• Like 1