Cancelled British Passport

buzzz51

If by cancelled you mean it has the corner cut off, then I have used mine many times in the past without problem.

In later years I just took a colored copy of my actual passport front page, laminated it and use that as an ID card. Never had any problems with that either.

If you are staying in Thailand, you are instructed NOT to send your passport with renewal forms etc. So your old passport would not have the corner clipped. Many of us have to renew well before the expiry date due to filling the thing with visas. The cancelled doc should NOT be valid as it is 'cancelled'. However, as the recent issue with the stolen passports on MH370 has shown, 'cancelled' does not necessarily mean invalid (we assume those stolen passports had also fooled Chinese visa issuers).

Strictly, of course it is NOT legal to use the cancelled doc. But for Thai legal or domestic flight matters, it is very unlikely indeed not to work.

I have sometimes carried a photocopy of passport for use as ID, prepared to tell anyone the real doc was at an embassy getting a visa. However, in more than 10 years in Thailand I have never been asked for ID..........

As an interesting aside an expired / cancelled UK passport can be used to enter or leave the UK - of course the airline will reject it but UK immigration have no problems as it proves you are a UK national.

• 2 weeks later...

What a stupid question

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What an idiot of an answer, maybe you should go and work for HMPO as my question has caused a real stir that they cant even answer!!!!!

Just for you and to be clear I will let you know about the situation me and countless other expats are in:

Fly from Samui to BKK to apply for a new passport, at that point your old passport is immediately cancelled this is in the words of HMPO so theres no saying thats not correct because it is, but you are permited to keep the old passport for ID perposes, Ive now been advised that it is illegal in Thailand to used a cancelled passport for ID and this is punishable by imprisonment. I then I have to fly or get a bus back to Samui on a canceled passport running the risk of it being checked thus running the risk of being locked up. Then in 4-6 weeks time do the BKK run again to collect my new passport putting myself at risk of facing prison again and all this until i raised the issue with HMPO was encouraged by them.

So, mr Cleaver happday6089 whats your smart answer now? what would you suggest i do?

Buzzz51

Hi just did 2 UK passport renewal applications on Friday May 2 also witnessed 3 others being renewed, none were physically cancelled or cut at the Trendy office, it seems about a 7 day lag till the passport is actually electronically cancelled in the UK, suppose the cutting is done after you pick up the new one at Trendy. You should be fine to fly domestic, I have used my Thai D Licence for id on domestic flights.

Hope that helps.

BW.

Edited by bigwilly
  • Like 1

Got a driving license? If not your old/"cancelled" passport won't actually be cancelled until it arrives in the UK so you have some time to spare. And in any event I have never seen more than a glance at the my passport on a domestic flight, they don't enter it into any kind of database to check anything.

• Like 1

Thanks to mostly all for your helpful comments, however my main point here is not what your able to do or get away with its the fact that HMPO are advising me to break the law!!!

I have a string of emails from HMPO assuring me that they are looking into my predicament but as to date no firm answer and ive been emailing them for two months!!

• Like 1

Any official photo ID is okay for domestic flights. I was in a situation where I lost my passport for a week or two and Thai were happy to accept my work ID card. Luckily the lost item eventually turned up.