Proof of Residence

habfan

I live in Lampang and when I went to change over from my expired 1 year drivers license to my 5 year I was short the Proof of Residence certificate.

Can you still obtain these at Chiang Mai Immigration?

If so what proof will I need for my proof? I remember that 2 passport photos where required the rest of the requirements are pretty much gone from my memory. I'm assuming you can get the forms at Immigration (if they're still doing them).

I'd also like to know from any members who have done this recently, since I'm driving in from Lampang can it be done in the same day?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I had the same problem last year. CM immigration did not want to know and told me to get a letter from the Brit consulate, as I did not want to become responsible for paying off the UK national debt I gave that a miss.

I snuck back to the traffic office in Maeteng and asked again , I think its an either or situation, and with an armful of papers they agreed. I think the yellow book was accepted as proof of residence, just be patient but insistent and don,t give up.

I also arranged to get a motor cycle license whilst I was at it ,that was hilarious especially taking the driving test.

The provisional I year License is about 100 Baht but when you get your new 5 year license it will cost you all of 500 !

good luck and enjoy

OP,

This is not difficult to do. It is unfortunate that reading ThaiVisa Chiang Mai too often leads to confusion rather than helpfulness, but there are some detailed threads on this matter.

The least expensive venue is the small kiosk office a few steps behind the main immigration office.

The process is simple, but it takes a couple of days (it varies a bit considering holidays and all) between when you submit your application and when you can pick up the letter.

You can get an application at that office. It is simple to complete. Take your passport (to copy the usual pages) and a couple of relatively recent photos if you have them. If not, visit the very handy shop next to the office to get one or both. Most importantly, you need some proof of where you reside. That can be a lot of things, most simply a copy of a lease, confirmation from a service apartment manager or landlord in letter form, et cetera. After all, that's what you are being asked for: proof of residence!

I have gotten a few letters of residence over several years from Immigration. I have never paid anything for any of them, Bt500 or anything.

The letter has a limited effective date. I believe it is 30 days, and that information may be printed on the letter.

You can go to your friendly consulate, too, if one is available in Chiang Mai to get a letter, but that will cost you a lot more!

There are numerous threads about residence letters on this site if you have further questions.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

It takes ten working days at immigration, but no cost.

Form can be downloaded on the internet, see main TV Visa page.

Need form, 2 x photos, proof of residence, (I take a letter from my landlord) and photcopy of passport pages (main page, last entry stamp and departure card)

It takes ten working days at immigration, but no cost.

Form can be downloaded on the internet, see main TV Visa page.

Need form, 2 x photos, proof of residence, (I take a letter from my landlord) and photcopy of passport pages (main page, last entry stamp and departure card)

Much simpler since they opened that tiny office at the back as you say.I got mine in 7 days and they printed a small slip and gave it to me to confirm that it was the date for pick up.Maybe it varies depending on number of applicants.

A small sign ,on the office,confirms no cost ,if its still there.

• Like 1

If it doesn't already have it just get your name put in the blue book at your house and apparently a copy of this is the same as a letter of residence !

Blue book is for Thai nationals only. Yellow book is for eligible foreigners.

I seem to recall foreigners mentioning the fact that they were listed in the blue book. Did you di that Alfie, and if so , what was required?

If it doesn't already have it just get your name put in the blue book at your house and apparently a copy of this is the same as a letter of residence !

I seem to recall foreigners mentioning the fact that they were listed in the blue book. Did you di that Alfie, and if so , what was required?

According to my wife's friend, her husbands name (farang) is in the blue book, anyway i'll be going tomorrow to do hopefully the same, so I will report back with the info.

I would be very interested to know if non Thais could be registered in the blue book. I always thought this was not possible. But I could be wrong ?

I'll let you know. I'm going to the Amphur tomorrow with my wife to get her a new bluebook and I'm going to ask if my name can be put on as well. She took my name when we were married so I'm going to give it a try.

I would be very interested to know if non Thais could be registered in the blue book. I always thought this was not possible. But I could be wrong ?

If you have PR then you are required to have your name in the blue book. Don't know of any other methods that it is allowed.

• Like 1

I'll let you know. I'm going to the Amphur tomorrow with my wife to get her a new bluebook and I'm going to ask if my name can be put on as well. She took my name when we were married so I'm going to give it a try.

We'll probably get different answers biggrin.png

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

Iv'e just been told that you need to have a Proof of Residence letter to take to the Amphur to change the blue book.

According to my wife's friend, her husbands name (farang) is in the blue book, anyway i'll be going tomorrow to do hopefully the same, so I will report back with the info.

Essentially a blue book is a list of the people that live in a private house so it seems reasonable to think that a foreigner, married to a Thai can be included.

Get a yellow book, done while you wait, saves all the hassle. Get your Mrs to chat the village/area head guy up to tag along...........thumbsup.gif

Sorry transam, the only person the wife chats up is me biggrin.png

Glad to hear it..........wub.png

Take the head guy along to get a yellow book, he is the key to plain sailing...............thumbsup.gif

Get a yellow book, done while you wait, saves all the hassle. Get your Mrs to chat the village/area head guy up to tag along...........thumbsup.gif

Sorry transam, the only person the wife chats up is me biggrin.png

Glad to hear it..........wub.png

Take the head guy along to get a yellow book, he is the key to plain sailing...............thumbsup.gif

Not necessarily as very seldom no two amphurs have the same requirements.

Edited by khwaibah

I am in the blue book (no Wife) and work here with WP

Do you own a condo? As condo owners aka farang get a blue book.

I am in the blue book (no Wife) and work here with WP

I have a blue book - it is called my Work Permit biggrin.png

I am just wondering what is the value of the Blue Tabian Baan book, given that you have a WP ? and that's good enough for PoR. I really see no advantages. I still have to make the 90 day notification report, my wife still has to report my living place to the immigration .....