How Many Of You Living In Thailand Wore Yellow Today?

camerata

Wearing yellow to honour the king  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At our ceremonies at the District HQ, I was struck by the note of seriousness.

It didn't have the air of a 'street party' by any means.

I am wondering if the big turnout for the 'show' was increased a bit by the recent 'reality' that the nation-family has put a big burden on the head of the family and, fortunately, he has risen to the occasion, at an age when he deserves to be relieved of big burdens.

I felt it was a national 'Thank You', with an unspoken 'Sorry to have been demanding of you, recently'.

Those are very nice sentiments indeed Martin. I remember the Golden Jubilee celebrations in 1996, when Thai politics were reasonably calm and Banharn Siripa-Archa was prime minister. During the day, the atmosphere was quite solemn, even though there was a huge parade down Rachadamnoen Klang and an almighty gathering of VIPs ( Royal Court and Military) on Sanam Luang. But, when the evening arrived and the fireworks started, that's when the Thai people in Bangkok really let their hair down. I recall standing in the middle of Sanam Luang with hundreds of thousands of other people, each one of us carrying a candle and, yes, I was wearing my newly acquired yellow shirt. Afterwards, at midnight, the atmosphere in Rachadamnoen Klang was awesome. I stood inside the Democracy Monument and was able to see the panorama of 1 million people paying joyful homage to their King. I will never forget that sight.

I felt it was a national 'Thank You', with an unspoken 'Sorry to have been demanding of you, recently'.

I honestly hope so.

But lets wait and see if after the celebrations the situation will continue at the point it stopped before them, or if we can see a true positive change here.

In that case i will gladly offer apologies for my slightly cynical posts here in this thread, as such a show would then have made real sense.

COLPYAT you are a troll!................ An arrogant ass, and a troll!

Now, don't start frothing, please...

My aplologies if my posts overwhelm you intellectual capacities. :o

Please....... learn to spell before you start telling me how smart you are...... troll.

Foreigners trying so hard to fit in with the locals here are, on the whole, viewed by Thais -- not with the respect and admiration that earlier posters are convinced they felt washing over them -- but as a bit pathetic, a bit of a joke. All those middle-aged white guys I saw today on Sukhumvit, bellies bulging in their yellow t-shirts, reminded me of the tourists who wai bar girls in Nana: out of sync and having no clue about it.

It's their country, friends. When we try to act like we are part of it, we mostly make fools of ourselves. If you don't understand that, you really don't understand much about Thais.

What a sad and pathetic outlook. :D

For the record, my yellow shirt was given to me by my Thai work colleagues... and it wasn't so much "admiration and respect" that they were giving me when I wore it... but more like appreciation and approval of my respect for their king and culture.

Without getting into a slanging match... you're the one that doesn't understand much about Thais. :o

Old Asia Hand is overegging a little to make a point, but broadly speaking he is the one who is right and you are the one who doesn't quite understand.If you really think your interpretation of your Thai colleagues' motivation is correct, you are probably incurably naive.

Foreigners trying so hard to fit in with the locals here are, on the whole, viewed by Thais -- not with the respect and admiration that earlier posters are convinced they felt washing over them -- but as a bit pathetic, a bit of a joke. All those middle-aged white guys I saw today on Sukhumvit, bellies bulging in their yellow t-shirts, reminded me of the tourists who wai bar girls in Nana: out of sync and having no clue about it.

It's their country, friends. When we try to act like we are part of it, we mostly make fools of ourselves. If you don't understand that, you really don't understand much about Thais.

For the record, my yellow shirt was given to me by my Thai work colleagues... and it wasn't so much "admiration and respect" that they were giving me when I wore it... but more like appreciation and approval of my respect for their king and culture.

Without getting into a slanging match... you're the one that doesn't understand much about Thais. :o

Old Asia Hand is overegging a little to make a point, but broadly speaking he is the one who is right and you are the one who doesn't quite understand.If you really think your interpretation of your Thai colleagues' motivation is correct, you are probably incurably naive.

In my humble opinion.

Old Asia Hand is an angry, twisted fellow who sees the worst in everything who would be pissed off no matter where he lived.

ColPyat is a true intellectual who likes to play Devil's advocate and beat his "opponents" into the ground politely with his superior intellect. Whether he actually believes in his positions, I'm still not sure, but I think that he is interesting.

Cassandra is simply a nasty TROLL looking to piss people off.

IMHO. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

In my humble opinion.

Old Asia Hand is an angry, twisted fellow who sees the worst in everything who would be pissed off no matter where he lived.

ColPyat is a true intellectual who likes to play Devil's advocate and beat his "opponents" into the ground politely with his superior intellect. Whether he actually believes in his positions, I'm still not sure, but I think that he is interesting.

Cassandra is simply a nasty TROLL looking to piss people off.

IMHO. :D

Excuse me UG, but you are giving way, way, WAY to much credit to ColPyat, he to is an angry little man/women who has decided to disagree to get attention to him/herself. As to his politeness, well he isn't, he/she is rude and condescending, they seem to think they are above us all......... As to his beliefs well what direction is the wind blowing today? No, ColPyat is a lot like OldAsianHand, just a younger version who can type faster...........yea, a younger troll!

Edited by Diablo Bob

No, ColPyat is a lot like OldAsianHand, just a younger version who can type faster...........yea, a younger troll!

Being disliked by you is a compliment. Thank you very much. :o

Don't compliment yourself....... I don't dislike you, I don't know you........

What I do know is that you like to argue....... I know you are a troll.........

Aren't we going astray by following up on an over-generalisation?, viz:

"It's their country, friends. When we try to act like we are part of it, we mostly make fools of ourselves. If you don't understand that, you really don't understand much about Thais."

This could be said of some expats anywhere.

But there is also a 'happy medium' of being seen to be trying to 'marry' our farang notions to the Thai ones, with respect.

There is bound to be an instinctive wariness by the Thai about the farang---they all know how the farangs who have fetched up on their shores in times past have been "Get in, get it and get out" merchants. And there was that damned governess and her book.

Also, those Thais who have studied abroad don't seem to have had a great welcome.

From the perspective of history, the Western nations are mere upstarts when compared to Siam.

So we need to be very careful to avoid giving the impression that of the attitudes of the arrogant nouveau-riche.

Or, as somebody put it on here, "...retirees chasing a bit of tail in the sun"!!

From the perspective of history, the Western nations are mere upstarts when compared to Siam.

Sorry, but i do have to contest this.

Before the Sukhothai period (14th century) not much is known about Thai history. Not exactly a very ancient culture compared to most western cultures.

And before anyone says something about Ban Chiang being one of the oldest known bronce age sites - this culture has not much in common with the later occupants of the area now known as Thailand, and was most likely a completly different ethnicy that was pushed away by later incursions.

Martin, I really think that you should have done some prior research into this before you ventured into making this assertion. If you had done so then you would have refrained from making this outrageous statement. Unlike ColPyat, who seems to revel in showing us how enlightened and knowledgeable he/she is, I will leave it to you to determine the facts of Siam's history yourself.

NOT jumping into the "who is a troll" section ... or even making any suppositions about who is an idiot .....

I just got in a bit ago from Muang Thong Thani .. Impact ... the show for the people about the King there was AMAZING .... (yes yellow everywhere you looked)

Then down to the Grand Palace to hang out until the King left ... the spontanous applause and cheers that the Thais made around me was AMAZING! When the King waved to the people it was truly a special moment!

Followed by a great riverside dinner (GW would be proud ... we only spent 200 baht for 2 people) we then caught the firewoorks from beside the Grand Palace ....

Great day even though the 2:20 minutes just getting out of the traffic jam was a pain!

Exactly. My Thai colleague couldn't believe anyone would think that Thais look down on foreigners who show respect for the king.

Most of my Thai friends do have a healthy portion of cynicism about symbolic shows such as masses wearing yellow shirts in order to show all how how much the love the King. Not that they do not respect the King, which they do obviously. But generally, they show their respect by more substantial actions in their everyday lifes, such as spending a major portion of their lifes working for the community.

They don't though buy into this romaticising notion of perceiving Thailand so many Farang here, and Thais themselves do. And this present craze is for them symbolic of this mistaken perception of Thailand. Yesterday night we had a bit of a chuckle between us about the dicrepancies between this sudden show of love, and reality of those troubled times.

My friends here see, and have shown me over the years, a more balanced picture of Thailand, many beautyful sides, and also the very ugly sides. They don't expect me to "show respect and appreciation" by empty gestures such as donning a yellow shirt, and professing my love and respect with so many words.

Would they look down on me if i decide to wear a yellow shirt? Hardly. But they would think it a bit odd if i have to resort to such symbolic gestures.

Do you intend on being published someday? If so, will it be under fiction or drama? :o

I just got in a bit ago from Muang Thong Thani .. Impact ... the show for the people about the King there was AMAZING .... (yes yellow everywhere you looked)

And i just got back from another gangland shooting, two injured 17 year old kids. Not exactly *amazing*...

And i just got back from another gangland shooting, two injured 17 year old kids. Not exactly *amazing*...

ColPyat, don't be so deflective and irrelevant. Your post has no bearing on, or connection with, the topic at issue. Have a look at this latest (this morning) piece of news from the BBC.

Manchester Shootings

These incidents happen globally.

ColPyat has turned into a "one trick pony" doesn't matter WHAT the subject matter is .. he switches it to his belief in machete wielding gun-toting gangs in Samut Prakarn

On ThaiVisa we call these postings ... Attempts at Hi-Jacking a thread. These strange postings are just indicative of who/where he says he is ... in yet another thread he tells us about his "friendS" that have spent real time in Thai prisons. ((personally NONE of my "friends" have ever been to anything than a local precinct ...))

Tonight is supposed to be the Biggest fireworks display EVER if I read correctly ... yet again I will be stuck in traffic at 10pm for a couple of hours! Ugh!

But the traffic will certainly be worth it to be wearing my yellow shirt and in a crowd of 100's of 1000's and getting some great pics!

Your post has no bearing on, or connection with, the topic at issue.

I do see things in context, and as we have conversed about realities in face cultures and discrepancies between image and reality, this was somehwat relevant. Even more relevant is following quotes from a Reuters wire:

Despite repeated calls by the world's longest serving monarch for a negotiated end to the crisis, they appear to be going unheeded in the campaign to oust Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

"Should they stubbornly hold on to power after the royal anniversary, we will organize mass rallies to kick them out," said Suriyasai Katasila of the People's Alliance for Democracy, the group leading the street campaign against Thaksin.

Nice, everbody professes their love for H.M. the King.

But i believe H.M. the King would be far better served if people would actually start listening to what he has to say, and not circumvent him by misinterpreting, or ignoring his advice. So, excuse my cynicism regarding the spectacle of the yellow shirts.

Everybody jumped on me for saying:

"From the perspective of history, the Western nations are mere upstarts when compared to Siam.

So we need to be very careful to avoid giving the impression that of the attitudes of the arrogant nouveau-riche.

Or, as somebody put it on here, "...retirees chasing a bit of tail in the sun"!!

I have the impression that, as of the 14th century, Sukothai was a very highly culturalised, prosperous, big capital city.

But London wasn't. Nor Paris. And Germany hadn't unified, and USA, Australia etc hadn't got going.

However, a few centuries later, they developed a real 'head of steam', which Siam didn't.

I am but a retired engineer, and have no claim to historical knowledge or perspective.

So I will appreciate explanations of the error of my layman's impression.

I have the impression that, as of the 14th century, Sukothai was a very highly culturalised, prosperous, big capital city.

But London wasn't. Nor Paris. And Germany hadn't unified, and USA, Australia etc hadn't got going.

However, a few centuries later, they developed a real 'head of steam', which Siam didn't.

I am but a retired engineer, and have no claim to historical knowledge or perspective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_history

This gives you a good overview and the timeline of recorded history, dating from about 3500 BC with the Sumer. As you can see there, beginning of classical history of western civilsation is generally dated at 776 BC. Before the existance of Thailand you had the greek city states, the rise and fall of the Roman Empire, the founding of the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation. And with that philosphers, scientists, emperors, works of art and literature still known today - all that makes a culture and civilisation.

London was founded by the Romans in the first century, Paris by the Celts in 250 BC, and were already important cities in those times.

Thailand, or Siam, is not an ancient civilsation, unlike China and India. Long before the Thais made an appearance - the were the civilsations of the Khmer, the Mon, the Burmans, and the ancient Hindu kingdoms of Indonesia.

Edited by ColPyat

Martin, this is completely off-topic but let me explain a few things to you... as you requested.

Romans: Aqueducts, roads, concrete (yes, concrete), drains, hot baths, under-floor heating, cellars, sculpture, coins, columns..Think of the Parthenon, the Colosseum, the Forum, Hadrian's Wall etc. etc.

Greeks: Astronomy, mathematics, sports, scupture, water screw etc. etc.

Scandinavia: Navigation, ship-building

Throughout Europe: Libraries, public baths, arenas, universities and other major educational institutions, literature, the Arts, architecture, jurisprudence, liturgical and scriptural studies, trading and banking institutions, cannons, spectacles and artesian wells etc. etc.

And all of this pre-dated the dawn of Sukhothai and the wearing of yellow shirts. :o

OK. From the perspective of Ancient History, I was wrong.

Not being a historian, and being an engineer, both tend to predispose me to lok at the past starting with yesterday (big) and working back (each bit getting smaller). So half-a-millenium back is about all that registers with me.

I guess my history teacher who started with the cavemen and worked forward couldn't hold my attention, because I can't even remember if said teacher was a Sir or a Miss.

I guess my history teacher who started with the cavemen and worked forward couldn't hold my attention, because I can't even remember if said teacher was a Sir or a Miss.

I have a similar problem with my maths, physics and chemistry teachers.

I am one am one those people who are utterly convinced that electricity originates from the plug, and that any mathematics needing more than ten fingers is for nerds. :o

Edited by ColPyat

I have a similar problem with my maths, physics and chemistry teachers.

I am one am one those people who are utterly convinced that electricity originates from the plug, and that any mathematics needing more than ten fingers is for nerds. :o

What are you people on about?