Dirty Money in Thailand..

BKK Blues Brother

Yes Banks are cautious of less than perfect or even age of notes.

( US 100 bills must be the newer types no small head Benjamin's smile.png )

If you can go find a currency exchange like Super Rich or Sakol

They will take pretty much any note as long as not completely wasted

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

They will not take damaged or old money,

When your bank back home takes old or damaged money they send it to the central bank or what ever they call the agency and exchange it for new, Difficult for banks in other countries to do.

I had the same problem with USD $100 bills, even the bank I have an account with in KKC would not take them,

I trued several banks and had the same problem, Finally tried Super rich and they exchanged them. They also had the best exchange rate.

Now before I come to Thailand I go to my bank and exchange all my money for new bills.

• Like 1

It is so not only in Thailand. Even worse in Indonesia, Laos and Myanmar. Bring only new and clean banknotes, not torn. Otherwise problems, when you want to change them. In Indonesia you get even a better exchange rate when the banknotes are brandnew.

• Like 2

If you think that they are fussy here, in Thailand, then you would not like the Banks in India--they really do not like any damage on foreign bank notes--in the past, [before I knew better] I had notes that had to come back to the UK with me when banks refused them- and these were notes with only minor damage.

Wow, when i travel and i get a few thousand dollars from the ANZ bank, i will go through each note and check them out, i had that problem once, on a weekend had to pay for something and decided to exchange aud into thai baht, the bank checked every note and refused 3 x$50 notes that were torn or written on,, so i will ask for new notes or check the ones i have when i with draw money overseas, in saying that, the last time i got $3000 cash to take with me the lady at the counter told me to wait a minute, went somewhere and came back with crisp new notes,, maybe they know the situation overseas...

• Like 1

It always bugs me when they do this....... I ask for new notes when I withdraw from my UK bank nowadays, it just saves that little bit of grief in the bank........

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The best way is to meet some travelers who are on their way back to the UK to spend those pounds. You can both check the rates on xe or whatever site and actually trade at market rate--better for everyone in the end. Usually, in countries that don't use a particular currency only want PERFECT bills even though back in your home country people would accept them without batting an eye.

Her creditcard blocked ?

Is the Op really making all this up? This thread was started yesterday evening and the last one was:on the 19th this month, where he was so upset that she went to see her sick parents in Thailand.

Why would you want baht, when in the UK? Or does the OP have a Lear Jet already to go back and forth?

She's left me with the children and gone back to her family!

2014-04-19 05:16:44

Where do i start?

I always bring as much cash as I can when I come and it is always new or at least 'fresh'. I leave the dirty stuff for the shops in my little old town. Although I must say that I never see written on or torn notes, so perhaps there is some law in France. The only time I had trouble was on the Burmese side in Mae Sai. I was on the visa run and in those days they would only accept NEW US$. I went as usual to a bank in CM and got my brand new note. At the Immigration he was going to refuse it because it had a PINPRICK in it. Men all over the world , no matter what nationality are completely put out if a woman starts crying. I put on my best cinema act, didn't exactly manage a tear, but I looked as though I was going to flood the room at any moment. He couldn't get rid of me quick enough. I of course realise that most of you are men and that tears would not be seemly.

yes i have,

ive tried to tell them that there ok, but if there writen on or torn, they dont like them,,

jake

Banks and currency exchanges want to be able to sell foreign currency that they buy. If they accept your dirty, torn cash they won't be able to pass those notes on to other customers, so what would they do with it?

• Like 1

It always bugs me when they do this....... I ask for new notes when I withdraw from my UK bank nowadays, it just saves that little bit of grief in the bank........

Why not travelers checks??

Her creditcard blocked ?

Is the Op really making all this up? This thread was started yesterday evening and the last one was:on the 19th this month, where he was so upset that she went to see her sick parents in Thailand.

Why would you want baht, when in the UK? Or does the OP have a Lear Jet already to go back and forth?

She's left me with the children and gone back to her family!

2014-04-19 05:16:44

Where do i start?

<deleted>

Read the thread's properly if your that bothered.

People sniping on here, put me off posting.

Why not travelers checks??

It's only backup money(not large amounts) in my case BlueSky, I transfer most of my money into my kBank account........ Although I always get round to using it at some stage.

Edited by chasggg