Bad News For All Uk Visa Applicants

From yesterday 8 June the discount we have been receiving on visa applications lately has stopped and the official Embassy exchange rate has risen from 70 to 75 to the pound.

In layman's terms a settlement visa is going to cost around twenty pounds more in baht.

This is all legal and approved by parliament which permits the Embassy to add up to ten percent over the market exchange rate.

From yesterday 8 June the discount we have been receiving on visa applications lately has stopped and the official Embassy exchange rate has risen from 70 to 75 to the pound.

In layman's terms a settlement visa is going to cost around twenty pounds more in baht.

This is all legal and approved by parliament which permits the Embassy to add up to ten percent over the market exchange rate.

Who receives discount on visa applications?

Topfield is referring to the embassy exchange rate. The embassy rate was 70 to the £ when the going rate was c. 71-72 and a settlement visa therefore cost 18200 when, at the bank exchange rate, it would have been c. 18720 (a "discount" of 520 baht). Now the embassy has increased its rate to 75 to the £, a settlement visa costs 19500 and is more expensive than it would be if the official rate were applied.

Scouse.

The fee for a settlement visa remains the same as it has for a number of years: £260.

As the fee is paid in local currency, obviously the various embassies have to choose a particular exchange rate. Due to the constant fluctuations in currency markets this rate will sometimes be above the 'official' rate, sometimes below.

Of course, they could use that particular days 'official rate. but then the visa fee would be popping up and down all the time, and applicants turning up would have no idea how much they would have to pay.

Better, IMHO, to select a rate based on current trends and stick to that rate for as long as possible, which is what I think they do.

Selecting a rate on current trends is fine but is 75THB to the GBP not at the top of the curve with it only really reaching 76 once in the last three years with the average below that according to www.oanda.com. (a wild guess of 70 as an average)

PS: I did not download the data given but just ran an eye over it but I would guess its not far out

I agree with the above point however it does provide a minor problem for me.

Last time I was in Thailand I had a banker cheque raised for the spouse visa at the old rate.

My wife will not make an application until next month but I was getting everything sorted out for her.

If the Embassy took credit or debit cards it would be alot easier really. They did when I paid them for the affirmation to marriage so why not for visa ?

Yes i do agree. Years ago you could pay by cash or credit cards or debit cards. I think they did away with the cash option first followed by the credit and debit cards. Apart from making yet another thing for the applicant to worry about , does anyone know a valid reason why the Embassy have decided to accept only bankers drafts ( or is it cashiers cheques? .. even that is unclear to most applicants .. i thought they were the same thing and i used to work in a bank !!) ?