Weather Warning: Tropical storms set to batter Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Weather Warning: Tropical storms set to batter Thailand

storm.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK:-- Meteorological Department has today issued a nationwide heat and tropical storm warning.

Meteorological Department warned on Monday of strong winds, thundershowers and high temperatures throughout the country.

The heatwave would continue to affect the upper region while the southeast wind bringing humidity from the South China sea would become stronger. The department warned people to be cautious in the strong winds.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-21

Get the latest weather forecast, province by province from Thaivisa

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 provinces to see summer storms; 42 provinces declared drought disaster zones

BANGKOK, 20 April 2014 (NNT) – The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) has warned 52 provinces to beware of sudden summer storms, while 288 districts in 42 provinces have already been declared drought disaster areas in need of assistance.

According to the DDPM director-general Chatchai Phromlert, there are 42 provinces, 288 districts, 1,765 sub-districts and 16,960 villages declared drought disaster zones in need of emergency assistance. The relevant officials have been assigned to arrange drought zoning and to survey affected agricultural lands, in order to design effective water management plans to meet the needs of each area. In the meantime, water distribution will be extended to cover all areas. The public is requested to cooperate by using water economically.

Meanwhile, 52 provinces across all regions have been advised to prepare for upcoming summer thunderstorms which will bring heavy rain, strong gusts of wind and extensive hail throughout the region, between the 21st and 26th April. While relevant officials are monitoring weather and storms closely, rescue teams with equipment are also preparing themselves to provide immediate assistance in cases of emergency.

Those who have been affected by drought or summer storms can contact the emergency hotline on 1784 around the clock.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-21 footer_n.gif

Weatherman warns of more tropical storms in 52 provinces

summer-storm-1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation today warned people in 52 provinces to brace for sudden severe summer storms, beginning today until April 26.

According to the department’s director-general Chatchai Phromlert, people in 52 provinces across all regions were advised to prepare for upcoming summer thunderstorms which will bring heavy rain, strong gusts of wind and extensive hail throughout the region, between the April 21 and April 26.

He said relevant officials are monitoring weather and storms closely, rescue teams with equipment are also preparing themselves to provide immediate assistance in cases of emergency.

Those who have been affected by drought or summer storms can contact the emergency hotline on 1784 around the clock.

Meanwhile, he said 288 districts in 42 provinces have already been declared drought disaster areas.

The drought stricken areas cover 16,960 villages in 288 districts of 42 provinces.

He said relevant officials have been assigned to arrange drought zoning and to survey affected agricultural lands, in order to design effective water management plans to meet the needs of each area.

In the meantime, water distribution will be extended to cover all areas. The public is requested to cooperate by using water economically.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/weatherman-warns-tropical-storms-52-provinces/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-21

at this point any rain is good

Kamala's water supply is drying up as trucks from Patong take their water from here.

In Korat the biggest reservoir for the province is losing 0.5% a day and is at 50% ....... at 22% the water left is unusable so realistically they have about 50 days of water left and the rice planting hasn't even started yet. That level will drop fast once they start planting and we can expect over 1% a day to be taken if it is given.

Not a cloud in the sky in Bangkok.

Not a single one James but then these storms can come out of nowhere. A pal of mine is a bit of a weather boff and he was saying yesterday when the weather finally breaks it's going to be messy....

Every night I get home after work, sit on my balcony and look north across the city, only to see mushrooming clouds a building afar. If I had a lasso I would grab one and bring it over head to whoville before they drift away ....guess I read to too much Dr Seus to my son.

• Like 2

Not a cloud in the sky in Bangkok.

Not a single one James but then these storms can come out of nowhere. A pal of mine is a bit of a weather boff and he was saying yesterday when the weather finally breaks it's going to be messy....

Bring it on! I wish that it would pour torrentially in BKK!

• Like 2

So what are the provinces? Any more info other than 52 and 42? Which adds up to 94, so some will be flooded and drought stricken?

This is typical. I always see these "warnings" yet no provinces are actually stated. Completely (and typically) ambiguous.

They haven't given any names of the effected provinces, true, but 52 is a fair proportion and so there is a good chance that yours could be one of them.

I was always told that steady continuous light rain is more effective at replenishment than a few heavy rain storms. Seems a bit odd to me, but I believe that if it is continuous then it soaks into the ground rather than runs away as in a torrential downpour!!

Also, storms often follow droughts so lets hope that the 52 cover the 42.

So what are the provinces? Any more info other than 52 and 42? Which adds up to 94, so some will be flooded and drought stricken?

There are not a total of 94 provinces. 42 provinces have been declared drought disaster zones. 52 are expecting storm. This includes some/all of the 42 that are drought disaster zones.

I often despair that there are so many people around these days that lack even a little common sense.

• Like 1

Here in central Lampang province we've been getting monsoon like storms pretty much every afternoon or early evening. Yesterday we had a nice shower and as I write there is a lot of thunder rumbling in the distance. Day before yesterday wind knocked down trees and we lost power in our village.

This is typical. I always see these "warnings" yet no provinces are actually stated. Completely (and typically) ambiguous.

There is no need for a long list because the local news in your area will alert you. The above is just general news. I think it should be obvious if you live in a province affected by drought. Do you really need to be told? As for the storms, just watch the local news or ask a neighbor.

What I love about Thaoland is Thai logic and aforethought! (Neither of them exist!) Just looked at the Thai Meteorological site and although it does state maybe there will be a few gusty thunderstorms in the north no mention of tropical storms and Nontaburial is absolutely right -and those are not the conditions we are experiencing - mai pen rai -lets hope they're right -maybe it'll swamp the local outside disquoteque that has been blaring out music till 5.30 am every day for months ever since the famous Rayong Brewery closed down (Thank God it was just as noisy!) Talking of which here's this month's spoof question for 64 bht . In a smallish town,how do you make a place which seats 300 people , has a staff of thousands , belts out the most dire music till 6.00am 7 days a week work!!!???

ANSWER Just keeping turning up the volume till it drives everybody bonkers hoping that the two Japanese business men who are still there will spend 10000 bht evry night on a bottle of Ballantines!

• Like 1