Getting a Thai visa in Cambodia

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been previously covered...

I am living in BKK on a tourist visa. I am UK national 50+, GF is Filipino less than 50.

We want to live here and will be travelling to Cambodia next week for 10 days. Siem Reap then PP.

1) What is the best visa to apply for when there? (apart from retirement visa)

2) Better to apply in Siem or PP? Address?

3) What docs do I need to take with me? (I have a rental contract and BKK bank account)

4) Do I need to make an appointment or just go there?

I understand i can qualify for a retirement visa if I put 800,000 baht into a bank here for 3 months.... Then I can take it out. Right?

But for each annual re-renewal, do I have to put it back in again?

How about if I buy a condo worth more than 800, 000.... does that count?

Thanks guys

The only location to get the visa is in PP. It takes up to 4 days to get it unless you use an agent. No appointment is necessary.

Your girl friend can only get a single entry tourist visa.

If you are considering applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement (it is not a visa) you can apply for a single entry non immigrant O visa for being 50 or over. Even if not sure about doing the extension the non-o is better than the single entry tourist visa because it gives you a 90 day entry.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement if you have 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or have 65k baht income proven by a letter from the embassy or a combination of the the two totaling 800k baht.

Yes you take the money out of the bank after you get your extension. But you would have to put it back in 90 days before you apply for the 2nd extension.

• Like 1

When using the combination method, do you need the 60 days then? I have been reading here that they don't care about the 60 days for the combination

I only mentioned the 60 days for the 800k baht in the bank option not the combination.

At most immigration offices the money only has to be there on the date you apply using the combination option.

Thanks Joe, and good to know. So if my pension is 600000 in 12 months, then I only need to have 200000 in my savings account. And it doesn't matter if they only have been there a couple of weeks. I stay in Bangkok, so that's the place I will do it in.

Thanks Joe, and good to know. So if my pension is 600000 in 12 months, then I only need to have 200000 in my savings account. And it doesn't matter if they only have been there a couple of weeks. I stay in Bangkok, so that's the place I will do it in.

Correct

But you need to remember that your income will be based upon the exchange rate on the date you apply so you should have a little extra in the bank to cover any changes.

Bangkok does it by the rules so you will not have a problem doing it there.

Thanks,

Do I need to show that my pension is coming to Thailand. Or to my savings account in Kasikorn bank. Or do I just get the income letter/proof from my Swedish embassy. Using my Swedish pension papers?

Edited by larsjohnsson

Thanks,

Do I need to show that my pension is coming to Thailand. Or to my savings account in Kasikorn bank. Or do I just get the income letter/proof from my Swedish embassy. Using my Swedish pension papers?

Just the income letter should be enough.

The only time you would need any other proof is if they wanted to see a back up to your letter (Bangkok does not ask). The best back up is a bank book showing some money coming in but your pension papers could also be enough.

Hi Guys,

thanks for your advice,

I have a pension in excess of 800,000 baht/year.... is that enough or do they only count the first 600,000 then request 200,000 in cash deposit as well?

should I speak with immigration here in Bangkok before my trip or go to the Embassy abroad first and get the single entry "O" visa before re-entering Thailand?

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Guys,

thanks for your advice,

I have a pension in excess of 800,000 baht/year.... is that enough or do they only count the first 600,000 then request 200,000 in cash deposit as well?

should I speak with immigration here in Bangkok before my trip or go to the Embassy abroad first and get the single entry "O" visa before re-entering Thailand?

Cheers,

Keith

If you have 65k baht or more income (780k baht annual) you don't need any money in the bank. You prove the income by getting a income letter from your embassy.

If you can prove the income and have 15 or more days remaining on your current entry you can go to immigration and apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry

Then after 60 days apply for the one year extension of stay.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

thanks for your advice,

Cheers,

Keith

If you have 65k baht or more income (780k baht annual) you don't need any money in the bank. You prove the income by getting a income letter from your embassy.

If you can prove the income and have 15 or more days remaining on your current entry you can go to immigration and apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry

So, no need to go to an Embassy abroad at all?

Hi Guys,

thanks for your advice,

Cheers,

Keith

As long as you 15 days remaining on your entry when you apply you don't need to leave. You will need to go to your embassy for the income letter. To save a trip back to the embassy you should get two letters. One for the visa application and one for the extension application.

If you want to make a trip out of the country after getting the 90 entry prior to getting the extension you would need to get a re-entry permit to keep the entry valid.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

thanks for your advice,

Cheers,

Keith

As long as you 15 days remaining on your entry when you apply you don't need to leave. You will need to go to your embassy for the income letter. To save a trip back to the embassy you should get two letters. One for the visa application and one for the extension application.

If you want to make a trip out of the country after getting the 90 entry prior to getting the extension you would need to get a re-entry permit to keep the entry valid.

Thanks so much for your help and advice.

One last question... once I have the retirement visa how will that affect my Filippino GF? can she get a long term visa too? How about if we are married?

Cheers,

Keith

If you were married she could get an extension as your dependent. She would need to get a non-o from one of the nearby embassies or consulates to apply for it.

If not married the only thing she can get is tourist visas. Or go to school and get a ED visa then an extension.

If you were married she could get an extension as your dependent. She would need to get a non-o from one of the nearby embassies or consulates to apply for it.

If not married the only thing she can get is tourist visas. Or go to school and get a ED visa then an extension.

OK thanks, you've been a great help.

Cheers,

Keith