how to make friends/meet other people that live here

ilovebkk12345

Get a Thai girlfriend, she will introduce you to her brothers, former boyfriends and their cousins. Make sure your wallet is full.

thanks for the good ideas! i expected lots of negative/useless replys haha

"Make sure your wallet is full."

Well that quoted reply has all the hallmarks of the useless sort, but there is a touch of value in it. Do go a bit slow. Some of the people eager to "make new friends," and they don't need to be Thai or Thai girls or their relatives, may aim at exploiting your need for companionship. If you're used to life in big cities, you probably already have that caution in place, but if you come from a small town background, take it slow. Tourists, drunks and couch potatoes aren't the only sort of farang or Thais you want to avoid.

I can wholeheartedly recommend that you apply to join the Inter Nations society. That's the right place to meet expatriates residing in Thailand.

The e-mail address is: www.internations.com

Might need to check the link unless you are looking for property

Yeah, not a great start. I presume they both meant http://www.internations.org/bangkok-expats unless they were actually trying to sell him a house or something :)

Mind you I have no idea if it's any use, it won't let you browse without signing up first- seems to be a forum rather than scheduled events like meetup...

so you don't have FB,not work and no school.sound like you must have a ton of money so go out and buy some friends.

lol. its all savings. worked hard for many years, saved up, sold everything i owned, then came here.

i use bkk as my base. then i HAVE to travel around every 3 months (coincidence???)

i will check out some groups on meetup

thanks

Bangkok like any big city in the world can be a very lonely place if you do not have a few close friends...

So not being a expert on the subject,maybe I can make a few suggestions.

Always be open and honest with the people you meet,be respectful,polite, and smile a lot,believe me it does' help.

If I may give a example,(OH must say to you I just a tourist to Thailand for the last three years,am not there for "sex" just to enjoy life and learn about the culture of the country)

So,first time in Bangkok get running stomach ,go to local pharmacy for medication,the lady who owns the place was very nice,helpful and gave me medicine.

Next day I go back and thank her,she very happy and introduce me to her small son and family who where in the shop at the time.

So after that, every time I pass the shop just go in and say hello,once people get to know you they happy to see you and like to talk.

OK,there no romance here,just someone who know's you likes to see you.........

Have met Chinese,Vietnamese people the same way,OK they are not close friends but they always glad to see you, and you can go for a beer,dinner and just have a nice talk.

Other ways to meet people in Bangkok is join "Linkdin" or "Internations Bangkok" and even "Expat Forums Thailand"

I will be in Bangkok for the whole month of May,if you want to meet up just give your email address,maybe we can meet and I will be able to introduce you to expats living in Bangkok just like yourself..............

What I think is important, apart from companionship, one needs someone to be there for him, meaning, one person to call if one needs help. i would suggest people who live alone to perform 'marriages of convenience, so to speak, for truly practical purposes If one is sick or incapacitated for any reason and needs help. This can be done through TV by 'advertising' so one can let be known that the condo where he/she resides is decent and there are vacancies. Remember, young or old, fit or frail being alone in a 'difficult' country is fraught with danger. One just needs a friend to rely on in case of a true emergency. Of course this must be a two-way street. Taking care of a drunk or someone who abuses substances or his body cannot be the first choice for this 'partnership'. As for me, having past middle age I constantly think of this. If of course you live in a serviced apartment or hotel then the problem is less severe.

A lot of the meetups are sort of scammy, seems like many are run for profit.

At your age you will never have any friends in that bracket, everyone will sooner or later wash out.

Jus sayin

Oh they can earn a lot of profit from the activities? They dont charge much!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm also in the same boat! I'm 36 and moving to Nonthaburi in a couple of weeks from Phuket. I'll have a wonderful job, wonderful house, wonderful girlfriend......................and ZERO friends. I do go out with my coworkers on occasion, but rarely anything more than work related functions. Nonthaburi is boring for farangs as it is. It takes quite a while for me to get to the BTS or subway and then the ride to town. I'm going to be bored out of my mind.