Local boats ignore teens and leave them to drown in Chao Phraya River

webfact

Local boats ignore teens and leave them to drown in Chao Phraya River
By Coconuts Bangkok

td.jpg?itok=mh9av9u6

BANGKOK: -- Two boys drowned yesterday in the Chao Phraya River after two local boats refused to assist them.

Bang Kho Laem district authorities discovered the bodies of Raya Puangsatorn, 13, and Sarin Sae-kwong, 20, who drowned near the Pasi Pier in Khlong Toey district yesterday afternoon.

According to their friend, 16-year-old Pongsatorn Pongprayoon, the three boys met by the river to swim and get relief from the heat.

Raya jumped in the river first, but as he swam, he could not keep up with the rapid water.

The two other boys dived into the river to help their friend, but all of them found it difficult to survive on their own, according to Sanook.

Two local boats passed by as the boys were drowning, and Pongsatorn, the only survivor, said he called for help, only to be ignored. [read more...]

Source: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/04/23/local-boats-ignore-teens-and-leave-them-drown-chao-phraya-river

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-04-23

• Like 1

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there are so many kids swimming, jumping off bridges and acting up in the klongs in Thailand maybe, just maybe, the boats guys thought it was all a game?

Or they are running their boats on illegal LPG cooking containers etc so don't want to attract attention. Or are not Thai, or...

Edited by VocalNeal

I find it difficult even to imagine this happening where I am from.

I would say the same for Thailand, if it weren't common knowledge that this is part of the culture.

What I can't figure out is why this is part of the culture.

It's all part of the 'I don't want to get involved' and 'mai pen rai' attitude.

It is Thainess.

Nobility and chivalry here is pretty thin on the ground.

The right person needs to be passing.

• Like 2

There is a chance that the boat operators were not aware of the difficulties the swimmers were in, especially considering the noise of their engines.

Judging by the shadow in the very last frame, the person taking the video had companions who also ignored the boys' plight. How could they appear to be so laid back under the circumstances? I'm wondering if this is some kind of hoax. Have the bodies of the drowned boys been recovered? As the survivor swam to the shore, the head of one of the other swimmers reappears quite a distance from where he went down and then disappears again, towards the top of the frame. The camera then remains focused on the survivor. Is it possible that the others swam to safety out of view?

• Like 1

Pretty sad......The Thai apologists will have a hard time spinning this one... How in god's name

could a boat drive past a drowning person ??

In fairness, did the boats know they were drowning? Did the boats even realize the people were there?

I am not trying to excuse wrongful behaviour, but know one knows what really happened.

This is a valid point but would depend on how close or otherwise the boats were to the deceased.

If they were in anyway close I'd like to think or at least hope those on the boats could tell the differnce between the screams of swimmers having fun and those of swimmers in distress and screaming in terror.

on the other newspaper, it says the bib interviewed them (boat drivers) and they said they thought the kids were just playing, they see kids everyday in the river....

I think if they looked at them they would of seen the distress on their faces. Find it hard to believe nobody heard their screams!

I expect a lot of you guys have experienced the same thing as I have. Drive by a bad accident, want to stop and help and I'm told no, no you may have big probem. That is something I have never gotten used to here and never will.

• Like 2

Actually it appears the boats were approaching at high speed to provide help, and that they were female single person with high noise motors so am sure could not hear much (although they both stopped in water to look from 20 or so meters away). But by this time only one (survivor) was likely viable to them and he appeared to be in control and male so no contact was made? Best I can explain it - it seems they were going to provide help as one boat pasted on one side and the other on the other side and did stop to apparently check.

on the other newspaper, it says the bib interviewed them (boat drivers) and they said they thought the kids were just playing, they see kids everyday in the river....

I saw a news story on the TV in this and it did look like they were just going round them to avoid hitting them. One did look behind and make to turn, looked unsure if was prank or not. The kids were very close to the shore as well. This version does ring true from what I saw, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1