Toyota Innova Mods/Upgrades

We have a 2012 Toyota Innova Model V and are generally satisfied with it (used mostly for longer trips). Having looked at the alternatives (including Mada CX-5, Honda CRV, all of the "SUV's like the Fortuner, Pajero, etc etc), we have decided to keep it for the foreseeable future. We like it's ability to seat 7 comfortably, is really easy to drive, high passenger comfort level, and it's handling is more than adequate for our needs, While I had originally been looking for a diesel powered unit, they haven't been made recently.

That said, I think it's somewhat underpowered (we live in the mountainous North), burns too much gasohol (2 litre benzine-burner 9.8 km/l).

Has anyone done any mods/hop-ups or upgrades to an Innova?

Ask your local mechanic to put a 2JZ GTE engine in it.

Seriously, why would you consider power upgrades if you're not happy with current fuel consumption, the only thing that will happen is that will get worse.

Thanks - I DO understand my options are limited. Wait until the new model comes out in 1 1/2 years (hopefully with a CVT), or just grin and bear it.

We will wait and hopefully someone else will come out with a great 7-seaters in the meantime.