Western MD in CM?

pingpingping

RAM has a bucket load. As above post, do you really need an white one. My limited experience with Caucasian MD's in Chiang Mai has been poor.

If not urgent, shop around...

Edited by lsk

The irony here is that in England exactly the same question is asked

"are there any western white doctors here"

Same answer....no!

Right, understood. In the USA you either get Indian, Chinese, Iranian, or Pakistani Doctors, etc. in the government health care system. Or in the private sector you get the well-educated Jewish Doctors that everybody wants but nobody can afford unless you have [expensive] private health insurance. There seems to be nothing in the middle.

P.S. I hope nobody takes offense to what I said. I did not mean it that way. If anything it's a compliment.wink.png

Don't really agree with you about nothing in the middle..you can join a HMO like kaiser and get good coverage..the private HMO market is significant..gov hospitals are small percentage of overall HC market...most closed their doors 20 - 30 years ago..the remaining like sf general offer good doctors as they are cutting their teeth before moving to private care...the problem is #s vs budget ...

To the poster who said most are western trained...not the same as western educated...

CB

Chiang Mai Ram Hospital has a nifty feature on their website where you can check out the CV of all their physicians and see which have western education: http://www.chiangmairam.com/NEW%20CMR/HOME%20Eng/home%20Eng.html

Click on the bar at the top that says "Physician", then on the bar on the left for the specialty of interest. You can click on each physician's name and check out their CV, education and professional experience.

• Like 1

Don't really agree with you about nothing in the middle..you can join a HMO like kaiser and get good coverage..the private HMO market is significant..gov hospitals are small percentage of overall HC market...most closed their doors 20 - 30 years ago..the remaining like sf general offer good doctors as they are cutting their teeth before moving to private care...the problem is #s vs budget ...

To the poster who said most are western trained...not the same as western educated...

CB

When my employer paid the 380 usd per month for me to be with Kaiser in 2007,

i had a choice of three middle easterners, and a Russian. Now it's 496 per month, with a 3500 deductible...and likely the same bunch of immigrants. Mom's oncologist is Viet, and dad's cardiologist is a jew...and they're on Medicare, however many good doctors will no longer accept Medicare or Medicaid patients.

Back on topic, perhaps OP could go see Dr Morgan on Hangdong road, west side, south of Tesco. Not sure where she was educated, but she is "westernized" and has a good doctor - patient manner. Some of the docs (not all) at the hospitals have the attitude of "I'm the doctor, do as I say, don't question me & don't expect me to explain anything to you." Others are the opposite. A bit hit 'n' miss.

• Like 2

Back on topic, perhaps OP could go see Dr Morgan on Hangdong road, west side, south of Tesco. Not sure where she was educated, but she is "westernized" and has a good doctor - patient manner. Some of the docs (not all) at the hospitals have the attitude of "I'm the doctor, do as I say, don't question me & don't expect me to explain anything to you." Others are the opposite. A bit hit 'n' miss.

I'll second Dr. Morgan, good expertise and patient manner. Doesn't mind questions or disagreement and she can be very helpful in a crisis too. Have been with her ever since she started up, no complaints yet, but as with all Dr's they are not perfect. The other person that springs to mind is an American Dr. at Sripat...Dr. Greg Greer if he's still there running his family practice.

RAM has a bucket load. As above post, do you really need an white one. My limited experience with Caucasian MD's in Chiang Mai has been poor.

If not urgent, shop around...

To the best of my knowledge there are no western doctors employed at RAM.

Dr Greer at Sriphat is one of only two that I'm aware of in all of Chiang Mai.

I'll second Dr. Morgan, good expertise and patient manner. Doesn't mind questions or disagreement and she can be very helpful in a crisis too. Have been with her ever since she started up, no complaints yet, but as with all Dr's they are not perfect. The other person that springs to mind is an American Dr. at Sripat...Dr. Greg Greer if he's still there running his family practice.

I had heard he had moved his private practice office. I use Dr. Morgan also but I have heard good things about Dr. Greer.

I just checked the pinned list says

Dr Greg Greer (a US doctor),

Sriphat Hospital (0)53 5394 6900/1

I was told he had moved about 6 months ago. Not sure if the list is still current. I know that occasionally the mod has to tinker with it.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

I think he wants a white one with an American accent. Sort of like Burt Lancaster in "Field of Dreams".

Maybe more like Kevin Costner playing a doctor. Burt Lancaster is too old.

Maybe he wants a Patch Adams....

• Like 1

Aren't all American doctors immigrants? Ethnicity changes with the times so be it.. I had all white or Jewish doctors at my time with Kaiser - 15 years.

Fortunately I was able to select my doctors at kaiser but that's a different matter. Never paid one cent over 15 years - great employer!

What's important is one can view the doctors profile re medical school residency training post grad work board certified etc...when given a choice of physician selection...that should drive your choice not ethnicity...

Doctors should not be forced to take Medicare pts; it's their choice as Medicare reimbursement can be profitable for some but not others based on DRGs...

Thanks to the people who gave me useful info...dr greer and dr morgan. I will look them up. I'm actually looking to see a urologist specifically.

I saw one at RAM, but want another opinion and to have dialogue with the dr.

This is off the pinned list at the top of the forum.

UROLOGY (Urinary/Reproductive)

Dr Pruk Kithirathrakan

Rajavej Hospital, 053 801999

Dr Jamroon Wattanasakult

Rajavej Hospital, 053 801999

Dr. Bunnakit

Sriphat, his own private clinic and occasionally at RAM

053 5394 6900/1