Bangkok Administration to increase more bike lanes and parking spaces

webfact

BMA to increase more bike lanes and parking spaces

151534-imagepng-223083-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- More bike lanes and public parking spaces for bicycles will be increased in an effort of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to safeguard biking in all areas of the capital.

Bangkok Metropolitan councilor Mr Thawatchai Piyanontaya from Sathorn district said that bicycle lanes in many areas of Bangkok still have problems, such as rough surfaces found on many bike lanes, ignorance by pedestrians who use them as sidewalks, inadequate public parking areas for bicycles, and occupation by vendors to sell food and products on bike lanes.

But he said after Wednesday’s meeting with BMA which all these problems were raised, the BMA agreed has to out guidelines to increase bike lanes to cover all areas, starting from outer areas of the city as the traffic is not as heavy.

For the inner areas, public bicycle parking areas will be provided, especially at BTS and MRT stations.

BMA considers safety to be the most important thing concerning the launch of bike lanes in Bangkok so it said this may require serious study in order to make bicycling in the city viable and with maximum safety.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bma-increase-bike-lanes-parking-spaces/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-24

Ain't gonna work.

I gave up biking in Bangkok after 3 accidents and countless near misses.

Too dangerous to deal with motorbikes, taxis, buses, cart vendors etc. not to mention the road conditions.

It's just a matter of time until you get hit.

• Like 2

from the OP " ignorance by pedestrians who use them as sidewalks". Yep just walk out in the road and dodge cars. Some parts on Sukhumvit road the entire walkway is marked as a bike lane. But on the bright side none of this will matter or enforced.

• Like 1

from the OP " ignorance by pedestrians who use them as sidewalks". Yep just walk out in the road and dodge cars. Some parts on Sukhumvit road the entire walkway is marked as a bike lane. But on the bright side none of this will matter or enforced.

Isn't it obvious? The sidewalk is dedicated to bicycles, except for the motorcycle contraflow system so that motorcycles do not need to drive on the road or even follow the traffic flow. Pedestrians should therefore walk on the road between the vendors' stalls and the buses.

On Sukhumvit they announced plans to build a skywalk most of the length, so the white skinned shoppers can shelter from the sun as they move between malls, and then they don't need to mix with the dark skins at ground level.

The municipal police can fill in the remaining gaps on the sidewalk with helpful booths where they can watch TV until they see a likely victim to fine for dropping litter.

If there is any space left at all, fill it will concrete lampposts, drooping electrical wires, and semi permanent sites for election posters because there will always be a need for more election posters.

Of course little will matter or be enforced, but please don't try to make it sound like there is no PLAN.

Can anyone name ONE on-road or on-sidewalk designated bicycle lane in Bangkok that's safe and well-used??? I can't.

The only places I know around BKK that are safe to ride are the enclosed bicycle tracks in parks such as around Benjakiti Park near Asoke and some others similar. No street traffic allowed in those locations, so the only thing to worry about is pedestrians, and at Benjakiti, there's separate tracks around the lake for pedestrians and cyclists.

"BMA to increase more bike lanes and parking spaces..."

I view this topic with disbelief and great cynicism. A few years ago, the answer for Bangkok to follow the global trend for bike lanes was to divide footpaths in Sukhumvit down the middle with a bicycle symbol on one side (box ticked)...this for footpaths already full with pedestrians, food stalls and ...motorcycle taxis.

An area where bikes themselves need to be regulated in my view is the parks. I enjoy the excellent park near Seacon. However, I have noticed a huge increase in bike traffic, often with bikes going too fast and too close. Because often one cannot hear bikes when they come from behind, I think there is a real risk of serious accidents involving the majority of park users, i.e. the people out for a walk or run, often families with young children.

I myself was hit by a cyclist head-on when he changed direction at the last moment for a reason unknown to me. Both of us went down. I was running, and with the combined speed this could have been serious. I think if bikes are to be part of park life, there has to be provision and adequate control - e.g. divided paths (these are much wider than Sukhumvit pathways) or separate, exclusive bike tracks plus signage.

• Like 1

Thawatchai Piyanontaya cited '... ignorance by pedestrians who use them as sidewalks ...' Is this prat taking the p..s? Or simply demonstrating breathtaking ignorance of his own?

No, that's you showing your breathtaking ignorance.

I wonder if they have considered banning bicycles from the streets altogether, that would eliminate the safety issues completely for both riders and pedestrians and drivers. It would also ensure that cyclists and their bloody bicycles did not occupy space on the BTS designed for foot passengers as there would no longer be anywhere for them to go.