Stop paying AC costs. New Way.

gypsyrodeo

OK, made a quick one this morning after going to a shop and buying 8" fan and 2 1/2 " elbow.

Found an old cheap cooler that I used.

Sitting here now enjoying some cool air blowing on me.

But, I want to get a solar panel as I have a 12V fan.

I want to use it for camping.

Will need a battery too I guess.

But, we love camping, it just gets too damn hot in Thailand much of the time.

Thanks for the thread.

My neighbors are already envious.

ps. bought a block of ice that perfectly fits the cooler for 20 baht.

Now, to see how long it lasts.

IMG_4437.jpg

Where did you buy this fan?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think it works just fine.

Just a bit messy and will only cool a small area.

Use dry ice rather than ice which is -78.5°C and doesn't leave a mess, nothing to clean up or drain afterwards. wink.png

I had that idea but then realised it would cause death.

I've put dry ice in my mouth and tumbled it around quickly to create "smoke" that i puffed out in smoke rings as a party trick..have been doing it for years…how does it cause death?…dry ice lasts a LONG time and may be exactly what is needed…i just don't get this death thing

You will get this death thing quite quickly when you find yourself in a room full of carbon dioxide.

• Like 1

I do think it works just fine.

Just a bit messy and will only cool a small area.

Use dry ice rather than ice which is -78.5°C and doesn't leave a mess, nothing to clean up or drain afterwards. wink.png

I had that idea but then realised it would cause death.

I've put dry ice in my mouth and tumbled it around quickly to create "smoke" that i puffed out in smoke rings as a party trick..have been doing it for years…how does it cause death?…dry ice lasts a LONG time and may be exactly what is needed…i just don't get this death thing

ACcording to Wikipedia, concentration of 7-10 % of CO2 in air can cause suffocation. Considering that there's a fan blowing and it's unlikely that the room is airtight, I don't think there's much of a danger. But it's going to be quite costly.

Edited by quidnunc

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sad to say that the dry ice experiment for styrofoam cooler didn't noticeably improve temperature..when compared to regular ice results….my son and i have worked on this project together,,he has left for the states..if anyone out there wants to collaborate with me…just let me know

post-143564-0-27717400-1400293870_thumb.

• Like 1

I has made simple calculation for small condo room 32 sq. meters with height of wall 3 meters (Vair = S*h = 32*3 = 96 m3)

I suppose, we would like to cool air in this room from 32 to 26 degree (Δtair = tair1-tair2 = 32-26=6°C).

I suppose, we would like to heat ice from 0 to 20 degree (Δtwater = twater2-twater1 = 20-0=20°C).

And we would like to know how much bottles of ice we need?

This is heat balance equation:

Qair = Qwater

Cair*mair*Δtair = Cwater*mwater*Δtwater

mwater = (Cair*mair*Δtair)/(Cwater*Δtwater)

mwater = (Cair*Vairair*Δtair)/(Cwater*Δtwater) = (1,0061*96*1,2*6)/(4,19*20) = 8,2 kg of ice

So, for cooling small condo room, we need about 6-7 bottles 1.25L of ice.

equation irrelevant!

reason: main factor not taken into consideration.

main factor: heat transmission from outside and heat generation inside the condo room during cooling period.

p.s. i am too modest and polite to mention a fistful of other flaws in the equation.

attachicon.gifL-dog vvvs.jpg

Little things like latent heat of state change?

Why not add salt to the ice.....it makes ice cream freeze.

Main flaw is the refrigerator is where it can affect the cooled space.

Ice is useful. Murdoch University uses off peak power to freeze ice in a big underground tank and the lecture theatres are cooled by air blown over this ice.

http://www.calmac.com/benefits/documents/IB-182TechnicalIntrotoCoolStorage08_06.pdf

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

I'm sad to say that the dry ice experiment for styrofoam cooler didn't noticeably improve temperature..when compared to regular ice results….my son and i have worked on this project together,,he has left for the states..if anyone out there wants to collaborate with me…just let me know

You buy the beer I bring the Styrofoam Cooler

and we can coolabeerate laugh.png

13 words , 14 typos, maybe I need to lay of the beerlaugh.png

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

problem solved…i drink a lot of beer anyways…before drinking ill place the ice cold beverages in the STYROFOAM ac to cool my room..when the beer gets warm ill pretend to be german and drink them

Edited by gypsyrodeo
  • Like 1

You buy the beer I bring the Styrofoam Cooler

and we can coolabeerate laugh.png

13 words , 14 typos, maybe I need to lay of the beerlaugh.png

will the ice chest be full of ice?

Edited by gypsyrodeo