After market air filters - do you use one?

bkkjames

K&N all the way - IMHO, of course! thumbsup.gif

The K&N CAI filter I installed on my gasoline engine was the most 'noticeable'. You could actually 'hear' the engine breathe! I am looking to have one installed in my diesel powered MU-7. Until that time, with the OEM sized K&N filter I have installed in the MU-7, I can sense a smoother idle ... like adding a refined set of headers.

There is a difference that I equate to a somewhat smoother running engine. It's nothing earth shaking, though, but coupled with other engine tweaks, all work together to give better performance.

if your just doing a swap & using the standard airbox then K&N is the best. They can be cleaned and last a long time. Not sure if you will feel any noticeable difference will but will let her breathe a bit easier which is always good.

Unless you're installing a proper cold air induction kit that actually takes in cooler air away from the engine compartment there won't be any measurable differences. You will probably lose a couple of bhp with a Hurricane due to it taking in the hot air from around the engine. You will think that you have more power though due to the increased intake noise.

so you are saying something like a snorkel + hurricane would be better than hurricane etc by itself?

I would think a truck stock filter is probably over engineered to do it's work horse job, plus these engines operate at very low RPM so a stock filter is good enough..

K&N are great on a ride where power comes with high RPM, cleanable and it lasts for life.

• Like 1

The way it works on my car, is there is an isolation 'box' around the air intake and the bonnet has a vent in it already, so what ends up happening is the air going into the intake is cooler than the general air in the engine bay, plus the air intake itself is much less restrictive than the original manufacturer spec.

Depends a bit on the car, mine has a supercharger, but any turbo or supercharged engine if you can get more air going in, and reduce exhaust backpressure, if the ECU is able to 'know' that you get a substantial change in power; depends on the car, certain models of car have a lot of tuner parts around them, in my case there are guys bumping power from standard 160+ HP up to around 250 HP (major changes); just fiddling the air, exhaust and the pulley ratios of the supercharger gets it around 185-190HP easy (tested on a dyno).

This is the general idea of the box; on my car (would be model and supplier dependent) because it is feeding through from outside, the box has sides and a bottom, and is only open at the top with a seal to the bonnet.

http://www.knfilters.com/cold_air_intakes

That is a K&N in my avatar, 6.8 ltr engine that red lined at 6800 RPM, that is a lot of air to pull in, but the car would run the same times with or without that filter when not using nitrous injection, good advert for the filter eh. thumbsup.gif

Unless you're installing a proper cold air induction kit that actually takes in cooler air away from the engine compartment there won't be any measurable differences. You will probably lose a couple of bhp with a Hurricane due to it taking in the hot air from around the engine. You will think that you have more power though due to the increased intake noise.

so you are saying something like a snorkel + hurricane would be better than hurricane etc by itself?

What I am saying is that if you position it so that the Hurricane is able to take in cooler air than in the engine compartment you might make, literally, a couple of bhp extra, if you're lucky. But don't kid yourself, a 2 or 3 bhp extra will not be noticeable to you as a driver. The increased intake noise will be though and when you put your foot down you will think you're moving a lot quicker just because it sounds as though you are.

Do you really want to waste money on an air filter? All it will do is filter out the combustable material from the air on the roadways the engine could burn.....effectively costing you money not saving you money. whistling.gif

Edited by BSJ

I have used a k&n in my honda civic for 200K kms. Never a problem. Noe I use on in my suzuki swift. I find it more noticeable in that (never on a dyno though). I found the fuel economy to me marginally better over stock.

For a pickup I would use a snorkel and a k&n drop in. I doubt a cold air intake (one close to the road) would help here, as its so hot. Maybe air going into a snorkel will be slightly cooler than that close to the road or in the engine bay. I wouldn't expect much performance improvement - I like it because it will practically last forever - just clean and oil it yourself.

• Like 1

Have done that before, after much research, I will not do it again.

The way after market filter increases hp is because they have bigger pores and letting in more air, plus more dirt, and that goes into your engine, which is to say your engine will have more problems than with oem filters.

The way after market filter increases hp is because they have bigger pores and letting in more air, plus more dirt, and that goes into your engine, which is to say your engine will have more problems than with oem filters.

Your vehicle seems to have problems with a number of things, batteries, now filters. Why not blacklist the filter shop also?

Hmmmmmmm, strange I had a K&N on my ride for around 15 years, perhaps more with no issues. K&N breaths better cos it doesn't use paper, uses oil as the muck grabber in the media the filter is filled with.

In the topic of snorkels on pickups I have seen a few getting around BKK with the top intake facing backwards,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

They don't want water being scooped in in forward motion perhaps. Remember the engine pulls in air from anywhere.

In the topic of snorkels on pickups I have seen a few getting around BKK with the top intake facing backwards,

They don't want water being scooped in in forward motion perhaps. Remember the engine pulls in air from anywhere.

most of the better one's have built in water release gizmo aka holes but i doubt they can handle a storm we get here.

most of the better one's have built in water release gizmo aka holes but i doubt they can handle a storm we get here.

Id face it forwards in the dry season and backwards in the wet season:) The ones I've seen have an adjustable inlet.