pickpocket on the BTS

CaptHaddock

Had a little girl of about 6 try it once. She ran into the crowd when I looked, but kept coming back when she thought I wasn't looking. The other passengers were concerned for her and didn't know what was happening.

What kind of idiot would do this? How low can you go? Just a another day in Thailand without money? I gave some guy 100 thb in a Foodland felt sorry he got ripped off by someone.He said he need 300thb for taxi fare to C.C. office. I spoke with him in English and Greek.Seem dume about understanding my Greek.

And I caught a (foreign) guy trying to lift my wallet at a crowded market in Pattaya a few weeks ago (posted in a different thread). Got to watch carefully, as they sometimes operate in pairs and probably have "contingency" plans in case things go wrong.

Not surprised you got targetted. Anybody seen with a wallet is an instant easy target. Only an idiot would carry a wallet, presumably in your back pocket, and then wonder why it gets nicked. In Thailand you should carry money in shorts with several zipped pockets and spread the cash around the pockets. No pickpocket will touch you. And yes, the good ones always work in groups of at least 3 people. The stolen item is moved quickly away and you will never know. When I was in India some of the boys showed me how they steal from tourists and I can assure you they are very good and fast. You will never stop a woman from carrying a hand bag with lots of goodies inside. They are the best to steal from.

"carry money in shorts with several zipped pockets" However, not all of us dress like tourists who wander away from the beach...

• Like 2

in bangkok, as is in any big city, you should be taking basic precautions - especially if you are a tourist. be self aware, make sure your bag is closed, if you're in a crowd move any bag to the front of your body, dont keep your wallet in your back pocket. with the increasing number of motorcycle bag grabbing dont carry your bag on the road side of your body, if it has a strap put the strap over your shoulder. sounds like a lot to think about but this awareness quickly becomes second nature

you're never going to stop the professional pickpocket but a few simple and basic precautions will deter the casual thief

• Like 1

What kind of idiot would do this? How low can you go? Just a another day in Thailand without money? I gave some guy 100 thb in a Foodland felt sorry he got ripped off by someone.He said he need 300thb for taxi fare to C.C. office. I spoke with him in English and Greek.Seem dume about understanding my Greek.

Give these bludgers nothing and take em nowhere,its all a con.

Overly negative That post removed. Please don't paint all with the same brush.

Why not post the negative responses? This is "supposedly" an ADULT forum. "Although "freedom of (opinionated) expression can often be taken as offensive, it can also be a source of "open" clarity.

I presume the deleted reply targeted "Black-skinned" foreigners, Nigerians or Africans in general. Thats the "opinionated" way of the world these days. If a member chooses to display his "ignorance" of reality, by making absurd racial remarks, on this forum, then he should be allowed to make as much of a "fool of himself", as much as he chooses. So be it.

Again, we are supposedly adults here, so why not just let reality be what it is. Monitoring every single "perceived" offense, only enflames a bigot's desire to express their stupidity, through other, different channels. Let it be an open forum, whistling.gif K?

Interesting......just talking to a friend yesterday who had a French guy try to pickpocket him on the BTS. Be aware folks.

How do you know he was French?

Did you engage in full conversation?

or

Did he have a blue/white striped top on with onions hanging around his neck??

Also the OP said on the BTS but actually at the station. There is no BTS Silom line, so is it MRT Silom or BTS Sala Dang? Sorry to nit pick but half a story is half a story.

He must have worn a beret

Anyway, forewarned is forearmed.

Obviously a description would provide more "forearming"? Was this at a particular station? At a particular time of day? Anything useful at all?

As it is, advising people to be aware of their surroundings, and the possibility of pickpockets, is well, hardly novel or useful.

People bump into me, and and I occasionally bump into other people, especially in crowded public transportation situations. Some might even raise their hands as an act of apology for the inadvertent contact. Hardly makes one guilty of a crime.

Unless they were trying to take something out of your pocket as was happening in this case.

There is a gang of Middle Eastern working the BTS, I know personally of one pickpocket theft by an Arab at Asok.

Interesting......just talking to a friend yesterday who had a French guy try to pickpocket him on the BTS. Be aware folks.

or

Also the OP said on the BTS but actually at the station. There is no BTS Silom line, so is it MRT Silom or BTS Sala Dang? Sorry to nit pick but half a story is half a story.

"Did you engage in full conversation?"

These gangs will engage you in brief conversation and while you're distracted one of their fellow thieves will be in your pockets.

Did you engage in full conversation?

or

He didn't make any mention of the Silom line, that was you. He did say the Silom BTS and there is only one Silom BTS station so yes, you are nit-picking and a half.

Edited by MMarlow

Overly negative That post removed. Please don't paint all with the same brush.

Why not post the negative responses? This is "supposedly" an ADULT forum. "Although "freedom of (opinionated) expression can often be taken as offensive, it can also be a source of "open" clarity.

I presume the deleted reply targeted "Black-skinned" foreigners, Nigerians or Africans in general. Thats the "opinionated" way of the world these days. If a member chooses to display his "ignorance" of reality, by making absurd racial remarks, on this forum, then he should be allowed to make as much of a "fool of himself", as much as he chooses. So be it.

Again, we are supposedly adults here, so why not just let reality be what it is. Monitoring every single "perceived" offense, only enflames a bigot's desire to express their stupidity, through other, different channels. Let it be an open forum, whistling.gif K?

If you don't like the forum rules then don't participate, simple, this is a forum, not an Adult forum as you put it.

By the way, I think you need to make use of inverted commas more often, there's nowhere near enough in your post.