Best True PrePay Sim for Data?

VisaEd

In my 7-11 there seems to be a lot of True sim cards on offer.

Are they all the same and if not, which is the best one for getting a good deal on pre-pay data usage for my phone?

I’d mainly be using the phone for checking emails and light web browsing, and also sending the odd text, not so much for calling. I need a small sim card too.

Any suggestions on a good True sim card to ask for?

Thanks

SIMs and mobile data plans are generally independent of each other; you can layer any data plan on to any SIM.

That said, there may be some promotional SIM/data packages which may be advantageous, say for a one-week stay the Tourist SIM. It really depends on your exact situation and requirements.

We'd really need to know how long you are staying, what your budget is and what your monthly data usage might be.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/sim-truemoveh/prepaid/all

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/toppings/iplay/entry/654

Thanks for the info. I plan on being here for the foreseeable.

I'm not sure how much data I would use - perhaps I should start out on a low package and see how I get on?

Although looking at those links, there are lots of packages that look similar but different.

Where it says "3G max speed 500MB" does that mean I get 500MB of data downloads at 3G speed?

Something like "Net 399" likes look a good packages to start on? Am I right?

Thanks

Where it says "3G max speed 500MB" does that mean I get 500MB of data downloads at 3G speed?

Yes, but upload and download. After which your speed might be limited.

Something like "Net 399" likes look a good packages to start on? Am I right?

Yes, this might be a good package to start with, assuming that is within your budget. Many people can get by with 1 GB/30 days assuming they have WiFi at work/home to supplement their usage. It offers unlimited usage which means after 1 GB up/down at 3G speeds, you can continue to use mobile data without additional expense, albeit at a greatly reduced rate of speed ( 128 Kbps ).

Thanks I will give that one a try then. I do have WiFi when in doors so hopefully this will be enough for casual browsing when out and about.

Thanks for your help.

The unlimited True wifi included also helps take pressure off the data if there's one near you or where you go to. The ones labeled @truemove H or similar will log in automatically after you enter your password, like a home router. The ones labeled @ TRUEWIFI or similar require pulling up the webpage and logging in. But I think will log in automatically after. I may have those backwards, but one will log in automatically. Just have to actively sign in the first time on both. Save the login info in the browser screen.

Also, the lower speeds are not as bad as they seem. 128 Kbps is like EDGE, but I think that used to seem really slow due to phone hardware. On my S3, I didn't really notice it being much slower after it dropped. Definitely seemed much faster than I remember EDGE being.

Last trip I spent 2 weeks trying to conserve my 1GB of full speed because I was tethering my Win 8 tablet to do work and was expecting it to crawl after the drop down. I had even called them to ask if I could upgrade to the next plan and they said I could not, but there was some kind of speed up plan I could layer 1GB at high speed onto the 399 baht plan. Decided to wait and see. Once it came, it didn't change enough to bother me. Noticeably slower, but not enough to get in the way of most things on the Win 8 tablet tethered to the phone. Some facebook games were the only things that had problems, so not the end of the world. Phone was even less noticeable. I ended up using another full GB in a week because there was no True wifi where I was staying.

Oh, and the true wifi works on another device, so I was able to take the tablet to a true wifi hotspot and login with the same info as the phone, at the same time. Not sure that's allowed under the terms, but I didn't do that very often.

^ Good point about the complementary unlimited WiFi included in that Net 399 plan.

You may also be presented with an option to purchase an additional 1 GB for 150 THB after you reach your cap, and before you plan would automatically renew.

Thanks for the info. I have a quick question:

I bought a 49 baht pre pay sim card for True - with Sabay on the box in Thai.

Then I put 100 baht on it.

Then today when I went out, my phone connected to a mobile data network (True I presume) and I was able to load websites etc.

The H and H+ symbol was displayed on my phone.

I checked my balance after and it had not depleted.

Any idea what I was connected to and how? I know I can turn off use mobile networks on my phone - but if I get some kind of free mobile internet with my SIM then I am happy to use it!

Any ideas?

Thanks

The SIM/promotion/plan likely has some small free/complementary allotment of data included, 90 MB in the case of that SIM I believe. After that you'll start paying (your pre-paid balance will be reduced); not sure exactly but a quick review makes it look like 2 baht/MB.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/sim-truemoveh/prepaid/entry/2378

But what does the '1 baht per day' refer to?

Not sure exactly but to me it looks like you can call some/any/all on-net (other TrueMove H numbers) numbers between 05:00 - 17:00 (or 23:00 and 17:00, not sure) unlimited (up to 60 minutes) by paying 1 baht/day. or maybe 1 baht for the first minute?

In any event, I'm pretty sure it is some promotion related to making voice calls.

• 1 month later...

I've been using the 1GB plan for about 20 days now and have used 337MB of it so far.

I've used 7.34GB from my home WiFi and other WiFi connections.

I've been keeping the data connection off and only turning it on when needed for the most part. Although I did need to do a bit of tethering with my computer a couple of times when out and about.

I only ever see the H or H+ signal on my phone - does that mean anything in particular?

But so far so good, although if I didn't have my home WiFi connection I would've burnt through it quickly.

As an aside, on the additional packages from True on this page:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/toppings/iplay/entry/654?ln=en

If you signed up for the Unlimited Facebook for example, and had no other data plan, would you need to turn 'mobile data' on on your phone to use the Unlimited Facebook?

If so, how could you stop your phone from using the data for other usages such as checking email in the background etc.?

Also, does anyone know the USD code to turn on international roaming on a pre pay True sim?

Thanks.

I've been using the 1GB plan for about 20 days now and have used 337MB of it so far.

I've used 7.34GB from my home WiFi and other WiFi connections.

I've been keeping the data connection off and only turning it on when needed for the most part. Although I did need to do a bit of tethering with my computer a couple of times when out and about.

I only ever see the H or H+ signal on my phone - does that mean anything in particular?

But so far so good, although if I didn't have my home WiFi connection I would've burnt through it quickly.

As an aside, on the additional packages from True on this page:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/toppings/iplay/entry/654?ln=en

If you signed up for the Unlimited Facebook for example, and had no other data plan, would you need to turn 'mobile data' on on your phone to use the Unlimited Facebook?

If so, how could you stop your phone from using the data for other usages such as checking email in the background etc.?

Also, does anyone know the USD code to turn on international roaming on a pre pay True sim?

Thanks.

I've wondered about that part as well on the Facebook, Line, Youtube, etc. The mobile data will have to be on, so the activity other than the specific app, would seem to act like any other data request without a plan. Unless they actually will set it up so that everything other than the specific app just doesn't go through. Except then, anyone who wants to do some browsing or email, then wouldn't get it and maybe they'd be willing to pay the going rate.

For the roaming, go to the Truemove H website, and click "International Services" pull down, then roaming. You'll get to here:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/international_services/roaming_services/all

There are other links that are helpful in there like finding out the price for services while roaming. The registration is toward the bottom, in the middle.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/international_services/roaming_services/entry/646

USSD Code *112*1#

When I did it, I can't recall how they say that it is activated, but I did it a few times just to be sure. There's some message about services being activated, but there's no way to independently check it, such at the Truemove H website. The account info just doesn't seem to be available for prepaid.

Not sure if this helpful as I don't know your background. But try and go postpaid. 18 months ago could not get postpaid without work permit. Now all of a sudden they allowed it.

Pay 700 a month. 3GB 3G/4G and unlimited wifi ( just about any public place seems to have true wifi on sukhumvit and Sathorn).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thanks for that code - I typed it in and got a message in Thai so will see if its worked next time I am abroad.

Thanks for the tip on post pay. I will take a look at it, can you sign up online?

Thanks.