Phuket Pride Week’s Grand Parade to block beach road on Sunday

Lite Beer

Phuket Pride Week’s Grand Parade to block beach road on Sunday
Phuket Gazette -

1_201442521647109_eyjQfyPPBDYqNYmGVcUYmG

Past Grand Parades have been crowd-pleasers. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: Phuket Pride Week 2014 will go out with a bang on Sunday with its Grand Parade – the highlight of the eight-day event – marching down Patong’s beachfront road.

The beach road will be blocked during the parade, which starts at 3pm at Soi Tan and will present a plethora of floats, fantastically dressed people, street entertainment and music.

The Grand Parade has been a big crowd-pleaser for years, and hordes of people are expected to line the streets on Sunday for the wild and colorful spectacle.

Phuket Pride Week 2014 has been a fun week for those taking part – gay, straight or undecided. For more information about the week’s events, please click here.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Pride-Weeks-Grand-Parade-block-beach/29241#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-26

How photogenic the parade is? I'd like to get there to see the parade and take some photos.

However it's a long ride for me, so if the parade is just something like in the picture above, it's not worth of the ride.

For those who suggest that gays should not have their own parties, but are hiding behind the cloud of politically correctness, man up and say what you wish to say. Do give reasons for your opinions as well, so that you don't sound like Beavis and Butt-head. After that be prepared to hear what others might think of your state of minds.

Phuket seems to have less and less to proud about. Not a patch on the place it was a couple of decades ago. But what tourist destination in Thailand is? Phuket, Samui, Hua Hin (Pattaya was always pretty sleazy) - they've all become dirty, polluted, rip-off resorts, and dangerous with it.

Thais can blame the tourists - which they inevitably do - but it's their country and their job to preserve what's left of the real Thailand before it gets tossed out with the bathwater of commercial exploitation.

As someone who has lived here for over 15 years, it saddens and sickens me to see what the lust for money can do to a country and its people. They are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs and just can't see it.

R.I.P. L.O.S.

Phuket seems to have less and less to proud about. Not a patch on the place it was a couple of decades ago. But what tourist destination in Thailand is? Phuket, Samui, Hua Hin (Pattaya was always pretty sleazy) - they've all become dirty, polluted, rip-off resorts, and dangerous with it.

Thais can blame the tourists - which they inevitably do - but it's their country and their job to preserve what's left of the real Thailand before it gets tossed out with the bathwater of commercial exploitation.

As someone who has lived here for over 15 years, it saddens and sickens me to see what the lust for money can do to a country and its people. They are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs and just can't see it.

R.I.P. L.O.S.

Agree 100%,i first visited in 89,and came back many times before i came to live here,i first went to Koh chang in 95,it was a beautiful unspoiled place,went back in feb this year,what a change,i was very dissapointed,i know development of places such as this is inevitable,but it has been done badly,and looks ugly,also the previously crystal clear sea water was now very murky, i can only speculate that this is due to so much development right on the beaches,i would think twice about going to any of the islands now,maybe my next beach holiday will be somewhere cleaner,less polluted and with less scams,i live upcountry and while this is the real Thailand it is so damn hot from march through to june,still it is cheap at least,60 baht for a large bottle of beer,in Koh Chang a bottle in any of the bars resturants was twice that,now i understand they have to have a mark up,but double price,from tesco or 7/11,i think that is a real rip off,also one place i stayed wanted 50b for a bag of ice that up here costs 8,meals were overpriced a bit but not as bad as the beer,which i did not drink in resturants,but in supermarkerts and enjoyed on my balcony/patio at the various places i stayed,so they lost my money from that.

It's of no consequence to me with whom one fills their sexual desire, but I don't see a "hetrosexual" pride parade anywhere in the world.

Perhaps, if a minority group within the community would like more acceptence, maybe they should stop thinking they are so "special."

Sex has been a taboo subject in large part of the world for ages. Thanks to the Santa Claus religions and their laws, I guess.

I don's see any reason why there could not be a heterosexual pride parade, pretty much anywhere. You can just create one and ask for people to join in. It's that simple. I think most of the people would think What's the point?

I have known many gay and hetero people in my life. Some of the persons have had special skills No one's special skill has been being a gay, bi or hetero sexual. Sexual preference has always been just one parameter of their personalities. Far from being the most important one.

Some of the gays and lesbians have said they are gay, to get the question out of the air. Well done. Some have told the fact after some time. Then there are the people who I pretty much think are gay, but have never been able to say it out loud as they have been afraid what others might think. I could be wrong as well.

I guess one the reason to have the pride weeks is that the people who are still in the closet can see the community support and might then feel more free to talk about this parameter of their lives.

It's of no consequence to me with whom one fills their sexual desire, but I don't see a "hetrosexual" pride parade anywhere in the world.

Perhaps, if a minority group within the community would like more acceptence, maybe they should stop thinking they are so "special."

You don't see because you're not looking. Now you know:

post-37101-0-66486900-1398585324_thumb.j

post-37101-0-69540100-1398585221_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Are Tat promoting this,it could help 'lure' in more tourist,or was the whole thing their idea?

TAT has been promoting gay tourism through advertising campaigns for many years already. To be clear, they invite gay people to visit and spend money in Thailand, they certainly do not promote gay or straight SEX tourism. As far as funding Gay Pride events, I don't know. I somehow doubt it but it's a good question.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You don't see because you're not looking. Now you know:

attachicon.gif6a00d8341c730253ef01a3fce3b874970b-500wi.jpg

attachicon.gifUganda-Anti-Gay-Parade x400.jpg

An Anti Gay or Anti Homosexual protest is not a Hetrosexual Pride Parade.

But you're wrong. They labelled it as a Pride Parade DELIBERATELY to express the same whine that you made, that there are no straight pride parades, so they fixed that there. Anyway, go ahead and do your thing with a Straight Pride Parade in Phuket. Nobody is stopping you. But I can guarantee you that if you do, the MESSAGE people will take from that is a message of hostility and backlash against gay people and that will be reflected in your parade. You can bet the house on that. The reality that gay people are a small minority group can't be dodged. There is no point in an straight pride parade except to express anti-gay hostility. Pretty much all parades in the history of the world have been dominated by straight people. If you're looking for a BAWDY (mostly straight) parade with lots of lady bits on show ... try Rio Carnival ... sorted.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Sex has been a taboo subject in large part of the world for ages. Thanks to the Santa Claus religions and their laws, I guess.

I don's see any reason why there could not be a heterosexual pride parade, pretty much anywhere. You can just create one and ask for people to join in. It's that simple. I think most of the people would think What's the point?

I have known many gay and hetero people in my life. Some of the persons have had special skills No one's special skill has been being a gay, bi or hetero sexual. Sexual preference has always been just one parameter of their personalities. Far from being the most important one.

Some of the gays and lesbians have said they are gay, to get the question out of the air. Well done. Some have told the fact after some time. Then there are the people who I pretty much think are gay, but have never been able to say it out loud as they have been afraid what others might think. I could be wrong as well.

I guess one the reason to have the pride weeks is that the people who are still in the closet can see the community support and might then feel more free to talk about this parameter of their lives.

I agree with your post, but is throwing a Gay Party the answer for breaking down discrimination?

Like you said, "I think most of the people would think What's the point?" and that's what I think about Gay Pride Parade.

But you're wrong. They labelled it as a Pride Parade DELIBERATELY to express the same whine that you made, that there are no straight pride parades, so they fixed that there. Anyway, go ahead and do your thing with a Straight Pride Parade in Phuket. Nobody is stopping you. But I can guarantee you that if you do, the MESSAGE people will take from that is a message of hostility and backlash against gay people and that will be reflected in your parade. You can bet that house on that. The reality that gay people are a small minority group can't be dodged. There is no point in a straight pride parade except anti-gay hostility. Pretty much all parades in the history of the world have been dominated by straight people. If you're looking for a BAWDY (mostly) straight parade ... try Rio Carnival ... sorted.

So, now you are talking about reverse discrimination.

Reverse discrimination is still discrimination.

What about a "Farang Pride Parade." We are a discriminated minority in this country. cheesy.gif

The original political purpose of Gay Pride Parades was to seek visibility, to show gay people even EXISTED. Now they serve different purposes in different countries in the world. From just celebratory PARTIES to dangerous political events where the marchers risk being violently assaulted or arrest.

• Like 1

But you're wrong. They labelled it as a Pride Parade DELIBERATELY to express the same whine that you made, that there are no straight pride parades, so they fixed that there. Anyway, go ahead and do your thing with a Straight Pride Parade in Phuket. Nobody is stopping you. But I can guarantee you that if you do, the MESSAGE people will take from that is a message of hostility and backlash against gay people and that will be reflected in your parade. You can bet that house on that. The reality that gay people are a small minority group can't be dodged. There is no point in a straight pride parade except anti-gay hostility. Pretty much all parades in the history of the world have been dominated by straight people. If you're looking for a BAWDY (mostly) straight parade ... try Rio Carnival ... sorted.

What about a "Farang Pride Parade." We are a discriminated minority in this country. cheesy.gif

Again, you're wrong. A gay pride parade is not anti-straight. But you can be sure a straight pride parade will be seen as a backlash event against gays, and will be anti-gay. That's just the way it is. The same type of thing as a WHITE POWER parade would be seen in the USA. Anti-minority group, almost by definition.

Again, go ahead and have your Straight Pride Parade. Really, you can. Why whine about not having it and just DO IT if that's what people want?

Edited by Jingthing

I agree with your post, but is throwing a Gay Party the answer for breaking down discrimination?

Like you said, "I think most of the people would think What's the point?" and that's what I think about Gay Pride Parade.

I guess one of the points is to simply have fun with group of people who have similar interest?

Then there is always raising awareness of the ancient laws of many countries, which still do not grant the same rights for gay couples compared to the hetero couples.

I guess one of the points is to simply have fun with group of people who have similar interest?

Then there is always raising awareness of the ancient laws of many countries, which still do not grant the same rights for gay couples compared to the hetero couples.

Well, is it "Gay Pride" parade or a protest against anti gay laws? It looks more like party to me, but I take your point.

Again, you're wrong. A gay pride parade is not anti-straight. But you can be sure a straight pride parade will be seen as a backlash event against gays, and will be anti-gay. That's just the way it is. The same type of thing as a WHITE POWER parade would be seen in the USA. Anti-minority group, almost by definition.

Again, go ahead and have your Straight Pride Parade. Really, you can. Why whine about not having it and just DO IT if that's what people want?

So, if there is a "straight parade" it will be viewed as anti gay, but if there is a "gay parade" I don't see anyone viewing it as anti straight.

Mmmm, makes you wonder who is more discriminatory. smile.png

What I would really like to see. and take part in, is an "Anti Tuk-Tuk Parade." This would unite both gay and straight people. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Well, is it "Gay Pride" parade or a protest against anti gay laws? It looks more like party to me, but I take your point.

I don't know. Generally people have different levels of motivations when they do what they do. I guess this is also a mixture of different agendas, one of those simply having fun?

So, if there is a "straight parade" it will be viewed as anti gay, but if there is a "gay parade" I don't see anyone viewing it as anti straight.

What I would really like to see. and take part in, is an "Anti Tuk-Tuk Parade." This would unite both gay and straight people. biggrin.png

Because gay pride parades are NOT anti-straight. But I showed here a straight pride parade, as anti-gay as you can imagine. Again go ahead and try and see what happens. The proof is in the pudding. Again, nobody is stopping straight people from having Straight Pride parades anywhere in the world. So instead of whining about it and dissing gay people who do have pride parades, go ahead and have your bloody Straight Pride parades.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't know. Generally people have different levels of motivations when they do what they do. I guess this is also a mixture of different agendas, one of those simply having fun?

As I said, gay pride events have different meanings in different countries at different times in history. Also of course for the people attending, they can mean different things. For example, for a young person just coming out from a non-tolerant family, they can be a way to feel part of larger group of people who are accepting.

http://www.economist.com/news/international/21595034-more-places-are-seeing-gay-marchesor-clever-substitutes-pride-and-prejudice

• Like 1

Because gay pride parades are NOT anti-straight. But I showed here a straight pride parade, as anti-gay as you can imagine. Again go ahead and try and see what happens. The proof is in the pudding. Again, nobody is stopping straight people from having Straight Pride parades anywhere in the world. So instead of whining about it and dissing gay people who do have pride parades, go ahead and have your bloody Straight Pride parades.

I'm "whining" about it and "dissing gay people" - really?

Seems you have more to say about than I have.

I have a question for you.

If a society gave 100% complete equal rights to gay people, and I suggest many western societies now are, would gay people still have a parade, and if so, why?

As I said, gay pride events have different meanings in different countries at different times in history. Also of course for the people attending, they can mean different things. For example, for a young person just coming out from a non-tolerant family, they can be a way to feel part of larger group of people who are accepting.

My opinion in today's Thailand is that such pride events (which are NOT a big deal in Thailand and never have been) are mostly about a PARTY and also somewhat of a political visibility thing as gay Thais do not enjoy equal civil rights under the law (but it's not a severely oppressive country either).

Nearly 500 gay-pride events took place in 2012 and the total for 2013, when tallied, is sure to be greater, according to InterPride, a network of groups that run them. Nine out of ten were in Europe or North America. They included seminars, films and parties, with a gay-pride march as the centrepiece of most. The way the march looks—and whether one is allowed at all—is a barometer of gay rights in a country, says Evelyne Paradis of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA), an umbrella group.

http://www.economist.com/news/international/21595034-more-places-are-seeing-gay-marchesor-clever-substitutes-pride-and-prejudice

BTW, this movement started in the U.S.A. in the 1970s!

Edited by Jingthing

If a society gave 100% complete equal rights to gay people, and I suggest many western societies now are, would gay people still have a parade, and if so, why?

Yes they would. For the PARTY. Just like Irish have St. Patrick's day parades in some countries. In the U.S. Irish used to be HORRIBLY discriminated against, now they are not, but they STILL have the party parades.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yes they would. For the PARTY. Just like Irish have St. Patrick's day parades in some countries. In the U.S. Irish used to be HORRIBLY discriminated against, now they are not, but they STILL have the party parades.

Cheers.

Ok. No problem. So, it really is more about a party than a political statement or protest. i understand it may be a personal statement by some.

One should not be discriminateld against based on their sexuality. I'm not homophobic.

I hope all who attended and/or took part, had a great time.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

I can't really speak for Thai gay people and Thai gay civil rights activists and to what percentage their very limited Gay Pride events are all about a party, but that's my opinion of what they are here, mostly about a party. Thais have their own ways as we all know. Thai politics around GLBT issues is quite different from western countries for many reasons. One huge difference here is that the general culture here doesn't seem to distinguish between gay men (which seems to be seen here as a kind of western import) and transgender men (ladyboys) while in the west those lines are firmly drawn. So whatever political GLBT civil rights struggles that do exist here are just going to be very Thai style.

This article sheds some light on that point:

http://www.thedatereport.com/dating/modern-love/what-the-complicated-love-lives-of-thailands-ladyboys-tell-us-about-gender/

There are few things as challenging as talking to Thais about homosexuality. Thailand has a reputation as an especially gay-friendly country, so why, even when language was not an issue, did my interviewees seem so utterly confounded by my questions? Well, because it turns out I was the confused one. Turns out, in fact, there’s very little homosexuality in Thailand, so to speak.

In Thailand there are a lot of ladyboys, or katoey, and toms, as in “tomboy.” Without official data, the only way I can describe this is to say that, at least in the big cities, it’s noticeably common; you see them everywhere, even portrayed in popular media. Ladyboys are more common than toms, who have appeared on the scene more recently.

Edited by Jingthing