Buddhism/Meditation study

tlchurch1

Hello, I'm a high school English teacher in PA, USA, taking sabbatical next year to live in Bali in Sept/Oct and Thailand from Nov - May. I'll be in Chiang Mai area with my wife and three young children from November 2014 - February 2015. I'm looking for an opportunity to study Buddhism and meditation during the day (as opposed to a month-long or weekend-long overnight course). Any suggestions or connections would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Wow, sounds like a great adventure and I hope you have an amazing time.

I hate to bring this up but if you come to learn about Buddhism here you will most likely be very disappointed. What is called Buddhism here is all about money and power. I have spoken to many monks and very few have any idea about the topic. Of coarse they can do the chants which they perform for the locals before asking for money (Breaking Precept 10) but have never been taught about the history of Buddhism.

I had a discussion with the Abbot of a well known temple tell me that Buddha was the god that created the universe around 6000 years ago, he then came and lived a mortal life travelling around Thailand before meditating till he passed away. He then rose up 4 days later in front of his followers and ascended to heaven. This was backed up by the many nodding monks behind him.

In Thailand I have seen monks drinking, eating meat, going off with prostitutes and asking for money. Any of these things are against the teachings of Buddhism. What they don't realise is it is not a religion but a philosophy about how you live your life. hey just cant be bothered to follow any of the teachings cause they either don't know or it is too hard.

Having lived in Thailand for over 2 years now, I can't say I have met a single person I would consider a Buddhist. Not that I am saying they are bad people as I too love a steak and a few beers, but I don't claim to be one.

It reminds me of how India has turned religion into a tourist trap to sucker those that know nothing about the true ideas.

There are still many things to do here but don't expect any real spirituality

Again, have a great trip smile.png

Hit the nail square on the head.

• Like 2

In regards to TimCM answer:

Sadly its 100% true.

In Thailand everyone tells that they are buddhist, but in fact they are a strange mix between chinese animists and indian hindu.

Buddhist do not believe in ghosts.. (Just to mention the obvious one, we that live in Thailand all see daily..)

You will not find 1 thai person, that does not believe in ghost, and they most likely also have a house shrine/alter close or in there house.. This is not because they love buddha so much, and they want to show respect to his teachings.

This is mostly to protect from evil spirits that will come at night and kill you or something crazy like that..

Short story to clarify my point:

I was offered to buy a beautiful house in nong khai a few years back right next to a golf place, and on the shore of a beautiful lake. Everything i dreamed off, but there were a temple approx 100 meter away, right across the lake. Looked stunning! I could buy the house and everything for around 750-800.000b.

What happened.. My (now ex) wife told me she were afraid of the ghosts would fly over the water and kill her in her sleep!!

Completely insane.. She refused to live there.. I tried all the stupid excuses, about everybody knows ghost cant swim and so on, lol.. Nothing worked.. I then told her that she could give to her kid one day and make sure she had home when she were old, if i were dead, and so on.. Nothing helped. Flat out refused..

Buddhist... Not in a million year.

You want to learn about meditation.. Go to India.., or you could come to Thailand.. Learn meditation.. But understand, it is not buddhist meditaion you will learn. You will just learn about meditation, period.

I would also like my friend above, recommend dhamma.org They have a non religious meditation course.. But its like 10 days sessions.. Sleeping in the temple and so on.. Other than that, i think you would be better off in Bali or India.

Ohh.. Last but not least.. You guys remember a few years ago, when they had that thai undercover television show that videotaped thai monks having gay sex, and smoking yaba.. I lost almost all respects for thai monks that day.. The last im losing slightly every day, when i see a monk going shopping for a new iphone, when he does not have a job + he is a monk = You can not own anything!

<deleted> ... Cencuring myself in fear of ending in thai jail ..

• Like 1

The OP might be better off asking in the Buddhism forum where there are people who are actually knowledgeable about Buddhism to talk to.

Wow, what a Thai answer. I don't agree so you know nothing.

Could you share your wisdom about what it is that you know about Buddhism that was incorrect about what the other posters have said.

Could you name one of the Precepts that the locals follow?

If you don't follow the precepts, then you are not a Buddhist.

As for knowing nothing about Buddhism, I have studied spiritual beliefs for many and even lived in a Tibet monastery, so although I am not a Buddhist, I seem to be the Dali Lama in this country compared to the monks who only care about money.

• Like 1

The OP might be better off asking in the Buddhism forum where there are people who are actually knowledgeable about Buddhism to talk to.

Wow, what a Thai answer. I don't agree so you know nothing.

Could you share your wisdom about what it is that you know about Buddhism that was incorrect about what the other posters have said.

Could you name one of the Precepts that the locals follow?

If you don't follow the precepts, then you are not a Buddhist.

As for knowing nothing about Buddhism, I have studied spiritual beliefs for many and even lived in a Tibet monastery, so although I am not a Buddhist, I seem to be the Dali Lama in this country compared to the monks who only care about money.

Which part of my advice to look in the Buddhism forum to find people who know about Buddhism in Thailand confuses you?

As far as following the precepts the Venerable Khemadhammo said "there's no such thing as a 'good Buddhist' - some are just further along the path than others".

• Like 1

life is suffering." Buddha didn't speak English, so he didn't use the English word, "suffering." What he said, according to the earliest scriptures, is that life is dukkha. "Dukkha" is Pali, a variation of Sanskrit, anything temporary is dukkha, including happiness.

The Buddha taught there are three main categories of dukkha. These are:

1. Suffering or pain (dukkha-dukkha)
  2. Impermanence or change (viparinama-dukkha)
  3. Conditioned states (samkhara-dukkha)

I like to post on TV, since this is part of my suffering or pain. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

BOOK SUGGESTIONS, Please.

Wed 7 May 2014, 9:22 am

Hiya ForumMates!

I am not sure where to post his question. Can anyone recommend a book teaching basic mindfulness meditation for beginners in the THAI LANGUAGE? Ideally, something pragmatic and practice-centered, rather than philosophy and religion-driven. Is there a shop (Asia Books?) where you order online and get delivered in Thailand?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't believe your story about the monk at all. What a load of rubbish.

Having said that- sure there are some rotten apples in every bunch of humans be they part of an organised teaching structure or not. To slander the whole Thai country and it's religion based on (by your own words) 2 years of drinking beers and a couple of conversations with monks and media reports of random behaviours, really shows you to be a total ignoramus & troll.

Wow, sounds like a great adventure and I hope you have an amazing time.

I hate to bring this up but if you come to learn about Buddhism here you will most likely be very disappointed. What is called Buddhism here is all about money and power. I have spoken to many monks and very few have any idea about the topic. Of coarse they can do the chants which they perform for the locals before asking for money (Breaking Precept 10) but have never been taught about the history of Buddhism.

I had a discussion with the Abbot of a well known temple tell me that Buddha was the god that created the universe around 6000 years ago, he then came and lived a mortal life travelling around Thailand before meditating till he passed away. He then rose up 4 days later in front of his followers and ascended to heaven. This was backed up by the many nodding monks behind him.

In Thailand I have seen monks drinking, eating meat, going off with prostitutes and asking for money. Any of these things are against the teachings of Buddhism. What they don't realise is it is not a religion but a philosophy about how you live your life. hey just cant be bothered to follow any of the teachings cause they either don't know or it is too hard.

Having lived in Thailand for over 2 years now, I can't say I have met a single person I would consider a Buddhist. Not that I am saying they are bad people as I too love a steak and a few beers, but I don't claim to be one.

It reminds me of how India has turned religion into a tourist trap to sucker those that know nothing about the true ideas.

There are still many things to do here but don't expect any real spirituality

Again, have a great trip smile.png

The DK book centre has many.

Many are produced as not for profit/ purpose to help people- so are inexpensive at around 50bht. They have in English too if anybody interested also.

English is down stairs middle left side.

(I mean the DK book centre along from tapar gate- duangamon book centre)

BOOK SUGGESTIONS, Please.

Wed 7 May 2014, 9:22 am

Hiya ForumMates!

I am not sure where to post his question. Can anyone recommend a book teaching basic mindfulness meditation for beginners in the THAI LANGUAGE? Ideally, something pragmatic and practice-centered, rather than philosophy and religion-driven. Is there a shop (Asia Books?) where you order online and get delivered in Thailand?

Thanks for any suggestions.

The first or the third Friday of every month I think it will be - Starting next month. There will be free English language meditation teaching ("for peace, happiness, insight, wisdom through the observation of ones breath.") a form of Vispassana. Held at the new Dharma centre in Koom Keaw Palace - next from the Vista Hotel (an old traditional Thai wood building with lots of ornate carving and a big elephant statue under a sala roof is what u will see if looking in side the land and across the car park from the street)

The practice/ instruction will be lead by Ajarn Ad the abbot of a meditation focused temple out side town by a couple of hours past hangdong. The temple is called Piyabodok. There they live a traditional way. No mains electric. No gadgets or other stimuli. Just practice. Wake up at 2:30am. Sleep at 9pm. Sleep on the floor. No mattress or beds. No eating after noon. Practice all day long. Eat only the good from alms. It is very good. I stayed there before.

Master Ajarn Add speaks good English and excellent instruction & method- good results.

Such a conditions for stay are too difficult for many people he recognises so he makes now the Dharma/ meditation centre in the city to try to help as many people with the mindfulness / meditation practice as possible.

• Like 1