Flying Korean w/pet

Has anyone here flown Korean Air with a cat or dog that they are bringing in the cabin? I'm specifically trying to figure out how strict they are going to be about weighing the carrier (with pet inside). My cat plus the weight of the carrier is about 1 kilo over the limit. Normally carry on isn't weighed, but they seem strict about it when you look at the website. It's a 25 hour journey, so I'd really like to avoid putting him in cargo - that's just too long in cargo I think.

Thanks so much for any input.

(and yes, the carrier is about the lightest I can find, and no, I'm not going to put him on a diet - he is a healthy weight, so that would be cruel)

Well they definitely do weigh as it is on basis of weight that they charge you.

As to whether they will give you grief if it is over the website amount I can't say but would think not as long as the animal + case will still fit under the seat. Can't guarantee though. My cats have always been under the limit.

I've taken baggage that was over the limit by a little bit though and they've always let it through.

You can also try the trick of placing the carrier on the scale with a tiny bit of the end of it not fully on so as to lower the weight a tad. I do that often with my bags.

I am certainly with you re not wanting to put your pet in baggage, I have gone to great trouble and expense to never have to do that.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Well they definitely do weigh as it is on basis of weight that they charge you.

As to whether they will give you grief if it is over the website amount I can't say but would think not as long as the animal + case will still fit under the seat. Can't guarantee though. My cats have always been under the limit.

I've taken baggage that was over the limit by a little bit though and they've always let it through.

You can also try the trick of placing the carrier on the scale with a tiny bit of the end of it not fully on so as to lower the weight a tad. I do that often with my bags.

I am certainly with you re not wanting to put your pet in baggage, I have gone to great trouble and expense to never have to do that.

"I am certainly with you re not wanting to put your pet in baggage, I have gone to great trouble and expense to never have to do that."

Does anyone have experience with putting a dog/cat in cargo for a 25 hour flight? I'm moving to Chicago next year and my toy sized pomerinian is a bit above the weight limit for Korean. In addition, even if I could bring him into the cabin, the small carrier will certainly be tight for him. Some websites have suggested that cargo is actually ideal since it is darker and more quiet. This is my first time travelling with a dog, so I simply have no idea. I like the idea of him being with me in the cabin, but not cramped into such a tight container and getting stressed out by all the activity going on in the cabin (he is a barker and also has a slight respiratory condition when he gets excited). Another thing that worries me about cargo is what provisions are made during the transit at Incheon?

• 3 weeks later...

Oh please if anyone has any updates.. I too will fly with my cat from Thailand to America and am worried about the long flight.. I will fly to Denver so may have to fly a Japanease airline and have to put him in cargo. Do cats survive that long???
What if i keep him in the carrier and he howls the whole time?

Any feedback is welcome.