England Vs Paraguay

britmaveric

unbelievable... don't know if to blame the US or Germany/FIFA. The England-Paraguay match has been delayed here (in the US) by an hour.

This is possibly due to two reasons... the Americans are cheap, and they want to blend 4-hours of soccer coverage together (the T&T-Sweden match comes on after), and/or the Germans/FIFA are stupid for scheduling matches an hour apart, even though the matches are held in different stadiums.

Doesn't Germany/FIFA realize that a hour of broadcast "downtime" is a waste of money for the broadcasters??? It is no wonder why the ABC network here in the US is delaying the match.

Oh well, I guess I will have to wait another 32 minutes to start watching the game. You folks in LOS probably don't realize how lucky you are to see the game live.

The Sun newspaper on-line is doing live streaming commentary for all games at:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006260665,00.html

Just click on the link. Unfortunately because the game tonight was delayed cos of the coverage of the days events for the king the commentary doesn't match our viewing.

Should be OK for games that start on time though.

Check it out!

England doing well - unlucky not to have scored a couple more by now.

Are we watching the same game? It is dead-shit boring. England have had two chances and the goalie stopped both.

Lampard and Gerrard (who I think is the best in his class) have sucked big time.

Boring, boring, boring. Own goal by Paraguay and England will be lucky to get the three points . . .

Listening to the English commentator, however, England has dominated, been dangerous, aggressive. The new ball is bad, the referee is biased, the heat is at fault . . . yaddah yaddah yadday.

Hugely disappointimng game with ten to go, and I had hoped for England to really triumph . . .

Well it is boring, 1st half far more exciting than the second. However England has dominated, but creativity has been lacking.

1-0 England, bit disappointed, thought we would have a few more goals. However a win is a win and I'll take the 3 points. :o

Edited by britmaveric

Well it is boring, 1st half far more exciting than the second. However England has dominated, but creativity has been lacking.

1-0 England, bit disappointed, thought we would have a few more goals. However a win is a win and I'll take the 3 points. :D

yes, it's worth 3 points, but what a boring game . . .

lampard - do you now see why the EPL is not the yardstick of quality football.

Mind you, not one player stood out qualitatively . . . At this rate even Germany would whoop England's butt. :o

From what I watched, 1-0 to England was probably a fair result. Although thanks to the Thai coverage, I missed the first 25 minutes of the game.

What I did notice was that the tempo of the game was so slow. It looked like the players were playing in the humid Bangkok heat and not in Frankfurt.

The second half never really got going. The highlight of the second half was when Paul Robinson hit the screens hanging above the centre circle. I think he was that bored that he decided to amuse himself by aiming his kick towards the screens. :o

Well starting off to be a fine match - Own goal by Paraguay!!!! :o

GO ENGLAND!!!!!! :D

Sad, needing the opposition's help to score a goal . . . :D

Betcha Sweden would have LOVED an own goal :D

That's the great thing about football at this level. Afterwards, watching all the so-called experts extracting their foot from their mouths.

Edited by lampard10

Well starting off to be a fine match - Own goal by Paraguay!!!! :o

GO ENGLAND!!!!!! :D

Sad, needing the opposition's help to score a goal . . . :D

Betcha Sweden would have LOVED an own goal :D

That's the great thing about football at this level. Afterwards, watching all the so-called experts extracting their foot from their mouths.

I watched the preview show 'Germany Tonight' on ESPN and soccer pundit, Dez Corkhill was slating Trinidad and Tobago saying they were 'rubbish' and that 'shouldn't be in the World Cup.' He also went on to add that Sweden would win 4-0 and that it will be a walk over.

How wrong was he? 0-0 against 10 men T@T. He must feel like a right t*t now. :D

Problem is, everyone expects fireworks every time from The England. They certainly were'nt <deleted> but could do with gelling a bit more. I'm glad Mr Rooney will feature.

Btw, the referee was a c*nt.

Problem is, everyone expects fireworks every time from The England. They certainly were'nt <deleted> but could do with gelling a bit more. I'm glad Mr Rooney will feature.

I wonder who created these "huge" expectations they cant make it up to now... :o

It wasn't me though who predicted England to win this years cup. :D

KY

That's because the players, media and coach talk themselves up to feverpitch . . .

As for the referee . . . well, in the end he is always good to blame.

Umm, you forgot the weather.

That's because the players, media and coach talk themselves up to feverpitch . . .

As for the referee . . . well, in the end he is always good to blame.

Umm, you forgot the weather.

:o

My analysis of the game...

(i missed the first 10 minutes of the game, god bless thai tv...)

The first half was good, nice pace, some good attempts and some great saves, the ref seemed to be biased against England and took a disliking to the tallest player on the pitch. Nothing outstanding really and certainly nothing to write home about but england did hold their own.

Second half was dire, some bad decisions by the england coach left us playing a defensive game with no real opportunity to attack. England was lucky to scrape through with a 1-0 score. The ref certainly had something against Crouch and i think he was trying to find an excuse to red card him.

Maybe due to injuries the england coach didnt think he wanted to field an attacking side and wanted to test the ability of the midfield and defenders.

My two biggest questions for the game were...

Why was Owen sub'd off? Why wasnt Crouch sub'd off?

Summary, we showed a good defence and a strong midfield, we didnt have an opportuntiy to show what our attacking side could do (are we that reliant on Rooney???) It must have been decided at half time that a 1-0 lead was enough.

In reply to the "germany will kick our arse" comment above... I'm looking forward to seeing what Rooney and Owen, with the likes of Lampard and Beckham supporting, can do with the tissue paper defence the Germany side fielded, i think we can expect some outstanding origarmy, maybe some swans, a paper aeroplane but definately a boat or two.

Our defense was strong enough to challenge the best of Germany also, not too many holes in there.

Watch out Germany, we have a paper swan with your name on it :o

(Apologies for my spelling indiscrepencies, its been a hard weekend and the dictionary side of my brain isnt fully functional yet)

it was dire.

like watching man city v.aston villa.

Up yours, you knob jockey. How can you call any Man City match dire. Being a blue, let me tell you, it's like a fcucking roller coaster ride. We could be 4-0 up with 5 mins to go and we still could end up losing :o

As for England. A lot of people are forgetting what Paraguay have done in recent times. I think they beat 8 European teams and Argentina. They are not a bad side and will give Sweden a good run. 3 points is good and i'd sooner have those, than play wonderful pretty football and lose :D

Summary, we showed a good defence and a strong midfield,

Why I like good journalism:

From Peter Berlin’s article,

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/10/spo....0609enland.php

"While the English were uninterested and sloppy, the Paraguayans were toothless and inept."

During the game my wife said, “The Paraguayans look disorganized.” I replied, “¡Dios mío!"

This, from a China-based blogger, not me...

Edited by talatnat

Summary, we showed a good defence and a strong midfield,

Why I like good journalism:

England gets some help to defeat Paraguay:

://http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06...feat Paraguay:

"While the English were uninterested and sloppy, the Paraguayans were toothless and inept."

During the game my wife said, “The Paraguayans look disorganized.” I replied, “¡Dios mío!"

Any article that starts with "The English Soccer Team" isn't worthy to report on the great game. It's football i tell ya, FOOTBALL :o

Any article that starts with "The English Soccer Team" isn't worthy to report on the great game. It's football i tell ya, FOOTBALL :o

Hey, I am a Yank, and hel_l be damned, for me there's only one "football." :D

Any article that starts with "The English Soccer Team" isn't worthy to report on the great game. It's football i tell ya, FOOTBALL :D

Hey, I am a Yank, and hel_l be damned, for me there's only one "football." :D

But why is it called football when you throw it :o