Why is this forum so downright negative?

Tmymaimee

Yes, I know bad news is more exciting but I'm not talking about that. What I mean is when someone has something positive to say about their life or another person, its always the poster with 5000 or more posts that will reply with something negative. I don't care about that either. What I really want to know is whether the personality portrayed by these negative posters is an accurate reflection of their real life personality?

I only ask this because day to day in Thailand, I only seem to encounter positive, smiling happy foreigners and never some of the outright negativity displayed here. So who are these posters? Is there somewhere u can meet them in real life to see a bitter, angry foreigner?

I have a question for you.

Why do you want to go somewhere to see a bitter, angry foreigner?

I just don't understand, what you are seeking?

Having said that, I think you will find most of the really bitter people in here, only have themselves to blame (mostly, not always) and most of them are only overdue for a trip back to their own shittthole country, just to rehash their memory in why they came to LOS in the first place. Sadly for some, their reason for coming in the first place has since made them bitter LOL! It's a vicious circle. Ignore them and move on.

He wasn't really asking to meet..

I like where ur comment wound up, though..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience of foreigners in Thailand is that most are negative, sarcastic, unfriendly, complaining individuals. For this reason I avoid direct contact with ANY foreigner. Occasionally I run into a good ole joe who pleasant and offers interesting conversation....but this is rare. I have no idea why this is the case. Perhaps others will disagree with me, but like I said....this has been my experience with foreigners. Afterall.....they aren't living in their own country, so perhaps they are 'bitter' about something and it reflects in their everyday life.

You were'nt the bloke in Tesco were you,in Costas recent thread.

• Like 1

I think that there are a lot of unhappy foreigners/farangs in Thailand. They are the ones who avert their eyes at the grocery store. It is very rare for someone to look me in the eye and say hello when I am out shopping. The internet offers anonymity to these people and when they see someone happy their rage comes out and they want you to be as unhappy as them.

I think that there are a lot of unhappy foreigners/farangs in Thailand. They are the ones who avert their eyes at the grocery store. It is very rare for someone to look me in the eye and say hello when I am out shopping. The internet offers anonymity to these people and when they see someone happy their rage comes out and they want you to be as unhappy as them.

Ohh not this again. Are you one of the ones that goes about seeking out complete strangers to say 'hello' to?

There's a whole long drawn out thread here somewhere about that exact topic.

• Like 2

My experience of foreigners in Thailand is that most are negative, sarcastic, unfriendly, complaining individuals. For this reason I avoid direct contact with ANY foreigner. Occasionally I run into a good ole joe who pleasant and offers interesting conversation....but this is rare. I have no idea why this is the case. Perhaps others will disagree with me, but like I said....this has been my experience with foreigners. Afterall.....they aren't living in their own country, so perhaps they are 'bitter' about something and it reflects in their everyday life.

You were'nt the bloke in Tesco were you,in Costas recent thread.

no....sorry....i don't do Tesco....I'm a Big C follower

Yes, I know bad news is more exciting but I'm not talking about that. What I mean is when someone has something positive to say about their life or another person, its always the poster with 5000 or more posts that will reply with something negative. I don't care about that either. What I really want to know is whether the personality portrayed by these negative posters is an accurate reflection of their real life personality?

I only ask this because day to day in Thailand, I only seem to encounter positive, smiling happy foreigners and never some of the outright negativity displayed here. So who are these posters? Is there somewhere u can meet them in real life to see a bitter, angry foreigner?

For the record, I don't always reply in a negative fashion...but I do believe it's cause and effect...so here goes.

Young studs like yourself can't get over why your gal left you blah blah blah and keep regurgitating the same lines over and over again as if anyone really cares : we don't.

If you would like to meet in person, just head over to Soi get your head out of your behind and grow a pair, look around and say to yourself loudly - it's not easy being green...but if the shoe fits, hop to it. You'll be in good company.

Now on a positive note - it rained in the last 24 hours. Smile, it's not all that bad.

OP ... a lot of members like to give a complicated or an over simplistic reason for the negativity which is sometimes actually hostility ... but here is my take ...

It my opinion a lot of it stems from lifestyle ... many TVF members are in their mid to late 60's -- ranging upwards to mid and late 70's.... Many of them have little constructive diversion in their lives... routine sets in... paradise turns out to be not a paradise. Then on top of that comes alcohol - done daily - done too much... done repeatedly... and for some - and maybe too many - there is an assortment of drugs - prescription ones to use and abuse... All topped off with a sedimentary life style - no vigorous exercise. The physio-chemical outcome of this for a lot of TVF folks is a boring lifestyle, alcohol and drugs and probably an unhappy relationship... Plus the real zinger that bringing on grouchiness, negativity and even hostility -- a life style (coupled with a luck of the draw DNA structure) that brings about a depleted chemical in the brain called serotonin and another called dopamine ... Deplete these two chemicals with the life style I describe above and one becomes mentally depressed along with anxiety and irritability ... Add this all up and you have a typical spouting off old coot and crank who feels compelled to find the glass empty -- not even half full. Then there are the know it all young guys - who actually know much of nothing except arrogance... And last but not least there are the Brits ... God's gift to wisdom and knowledge - they think so anyway... who feel a compelling urge to 'correct' the miserable misunderstandings on every subject possible that everyone else has ... :)

• Like 2

Ohh not this again. Are you one of the ones that goes about seeking out complete strangers to say 'hello' to?

There's a whole long drawn out thread here somewhere about that exact topic.

I honestly couldn't care less, but I find it amusing that they need to turn their head when they pass in front of me to be sure they don't make eye contact.

Actually this forum is very tame compared to another one I used to go in in Phuket. Whenever a new poster would post something, all the regulars would set upon him like a pack of rabid soi dogs. It may have something to do with them being mostly sex tourists...very unhappy people for some reason.

Actually this forum is very tame compared to another one I used to go in in Phuket. Whenever a new poster would post something, all the regulars would set upon him like a pack of rabid soi dogs. It may have something to do with them being mostly sex tourists...very unhappy people for some reason.

I might have guessed that particular demographic you speak of would be very happy....who knew.

Don't think it's about unhappy folk, weeeeeell, perhaps some, think we ALL have frustrations and need a way of exhaling, a forum is one way without altering ones life, after all nobody close to me knows what l do here............whistling.gif .............smile.png

Today was really really great!

• The lady in the embassy was extremely helpful and very effective with my case smile.png
  • At lunch time my boss took me out for a meal as the quarterly review was better than expected rolleyes.gif
  • Wife just called and said to come back early for a cosy evening in giggle.gif
  • Mates discovered a new pub that we'll "review" at the weekend. thumbsup.gif
Edited by Morakot

From my experience there are plenty of foreign weirdos in Thailand , and being stalked by them in public places is not particularly appealing. I speak to people who I know, I don't speak to people just because they might be the same skin colour.

Oh you're one of those high society ex-pats.

People complain 10 times more than praise....if you have a bad experience you will tell 10 people and complain about it.

If you have a good experience you might tell 2 or 3.

TV knows what keeps the dollars kicking over....why do you think they do not delete or ban them all....it would be suicide.

Shallow i know....but thats them.

So this is you complaining about Thaivisa in a thread complaining about Thaivisa laugh.png

l had not noticed that

From my experience there are plenty of foreign weirdos in Thailand , and being stalked by them in public places is not particularly appealing. I speak to people who I know, I don't speak to people just because they might be the same skin colour.

Oh you're one of those high society ex-pats.

Let's not go too far - the last time I saw Toad he was 3 sheets to the wind in some place of ill repute, 2nd floor, of some plaza near nana - but I was drunk, may not have been him.

• Like 2

OP ... a lot of members like to give a complicated or an over simplistic reason for the negativity which is sometimes actually hostility ... but here is my take ...

It my opinion a lot of it stems from lifestyle ... many TVF members are in their mid to late 60's -- ranging upwards to mid and late 70's.... Many of them have little constructive diversion in their lives... routine sets in... paradise turns out to be not a paradise. Then on top of that comes alcohol - done daily - done too much... done repeatedly... and for some - and maybe too many - there is an assortment of drugs - prescription ones to use and abuse... All topped off with a sedimentary life style - no vigorous exercise. The physio-chemical outcome of this for a lot of TVF folks is a boring lifestyle, alcohol and drugs and probably an unhappy relationship... Plus the real zinger that bringing on grouchiness, negativity and even hostility -- a life style (coupled with a luck of the draw DNA structure) that brings about a depleted chemical in the brain called serotonin and another called dopamine ... Deplete these two chemicals with the life style I describe above and one becomes mentally depressed along with anxiety and irritability ... Add this all up and you have a typical spouting off old coot and crank who feels compelled to find the glass empty -- not even half full. Then there are the know it all young guys - who actually know much of nothing except arrogance... And last but not least there are the Brits ... God's gift to wisdom and knowledge - they think so anyway... who feel a compelling urge to 'correct' the miserable misunderstandings on every subject possible that everyone else has ... :)

I went through your list, I mean right through it and not one of the items on the list applies to me, although I will admit I don't always get my 10km jog daily anymore due to injury, so I just make sure I engage in extra sexual activity with either the wife or one of the girlfriends she allows me to have on the days I don't get the run in.

I do sometimes though get a bit negative when I read some of the remarks on the forum by any one of a few dozen douchbags that regularly post here but without a doubt I'm one of the more joyful and most loved here at TVF. If I'm somehow incorrect, don't despair, I don't give a rats arse. To save anyone unnecessary emotion, I have listed the members I think are douchebags on my profile page, so unless you're listed their, pull your head in.

Clearly you are right, you are a genius JDGRUEN, more people should be like me. ;)

• Like 2