Deep Well Drilling

Hello, I want to drill a deep well near our house in North East Samui. The property is 50 meters above sea level.

Does anyone have (good or bad) experience with deep well drilling? Which companies are good and reliable, how much money do I have to expect to pay ? Water must be available as our next door neighbor also drilled and found water 70 m below his house.

Are there any legal regulations or can anyone who need water drill ??

regards,

Hans

Legally, you can only drill down 30 mtrs. Any deeper and you need a permit.

If you decide to drill deeper without a permit, don't think anyone will check, but, that is the law.

thanks,

can you advise any drilling company? I have heard Samui Depp Well company was reliable but very expensive ??

Do they come and try to find water with this copper wires or just drill down deep enough to find water ?

If you decide to drill deeper without a permit, don't think anyone will check, but, that is the law.

thanks,

can you advise any drilling company? I have heard Samui Depp Well company was reliable but very expensive ??

Do they come and try to find water with this copper wires or just drill down deep enough to find water ?

Yes they find the water first then drill.Depends what you call expensive,I drilled on the mountain with permit 170 metres down PM re cost.

thanks,

Yes they find the water first then drill.Depends what you call expensive,I drilled on the mountain with permit 170 metres down PM re cost.

thanks,

hi Khun Rooo,

I have heard from one farang near to our house he paid THB 220.000 to drill 70 meters. The price included also the pump, the whole electrical wiring etc. so everythting finished and included. But that sounds very expensive to me. When did you drill the 170 meters and were you pleased with your drilling company ?? Who was this, can you give me phone number please ?

Which area are you living in ? we are in the surroundings of Choeng Mon-.

Regards,

• 2 years later...

I'm using Samui Deep Well in Chong Mon on sea level ground and they have so far dug 140 metres into the ground and still haven't found water. The charge for the drilling goes up considerably every 20m beyond 100 metres so I am surprised and concerned about how this is progressing...

I'm using Samui Deep Well in Chong Mon on sea level ground and they have so far dug 140 metres into the ground and still haven't found water. The charge for the drilling goes up considerably every 20m beyond 100 metres so I am surprised and concerned about how this is progressing...

I have used them for 2 wells.They should have given you a fixed price,which is usually padded for any unforeseen probs.I'm curious to know what the charged you.

samui deep well charges about 200k (as of 2 years ago anyhow) and will drill as deep as necessary to find water. they take care of permits and everything. they give a one year guarantee on the flow rate and quality of the water but after that, you are on your own. i've heard of deep wells going salty after a few years as the sea water starts to fill in the space left by water removal.

you should drive around the area and find people with older deep wells and ask them how its working out.

a better alternative is a shallow well and/or rain gutters on the house and a huge underground storage tank (50,000ltrs+), it will cost about the same as a deep well but will never run into salty water problems and is far better for the environment.

steve

I was of the understanding that too much deep well drilling could prove very bad for the island as in fact, salt water moves in to fill the space. Now I wonder what would happen to the island if that happened all over and the water table turned salty?

• 2 weeks later...

220'000 THB to get (maybe) water?

An average household (2 persons) use about 10m³ water per month or 120m³ per year.

If i have water from the Thai government i have to pay about 15 THB per 1m³.

my calculation:

120m³ x 15 THB = 1'800 THB per year

Investment for a Deep Well 220'000 THB

220'000 THB : 1'800 THB = 122 years :o

if i need more water (4 persons, garden, carwash)

then recalculate with 25m³ per month........ = 49 years.

please explain me what is the benefit of making a Deep Well?

Farangs can lease land in Thailand for 30 years plus extend for 30 years more. (so far i know)

Who gives me the guarantee that i will have 100% water all the time during this 122/49 years?

Thanks for some more informations about Deep Well Drilling :D

Chayaphum, never stop to learn...

samui deep well charges about 200k (as of 2 years ago anyhow) and will drill as deep as necessary to find water. they take care of permits and everything. they give a one year guarantee on the flow rate and quality of the water but after that, you are on your own. i've heard of deep wells going salty after a few years as the sea water starts to fill in the space left by water removal.

you should drive around the area and find people with older deep wells and ask them how its working out.

a better alternative is a shallow well and/or rain gutters on the house and a huge underground storage tank (50,000ltrs+), it will cost about the same as a deep well but will never run into salty water problems and is far better for the environment.

steve

Samui Deep well have drilled 270m for me in Chong Mon though still have not found water.. They are now having trouble extracting the pump.. The price for this distance is 450 000 baht without the pump so its way over budget. The adjacent property have a well at 120m..

I like the idea of a huge underground storage tank.. what would be the most cost effective way of doing this ? We are considering the concrete rings used for Sink Wells.. Is this a good idea ? Is their a better alternative.. ?

Edited by ahernsv

If your property/ project is not in close proximity to the water main, drilling a well can be the cheaper more reliable option. Government water supply can be very unreliable in the height if the dry season.

Samui Deep well have drilled 270m for me in Chong Mon though still have not found water.. They are now having trouble extracting the pump.. The price for this distance is 450 000 baht without the pump so its way over budget. The adjacent property have a well at 120m..

I like the idea of a huge underground storage tank.. what would be the most cost effective way of doing this ? We are considering the concrete rings used for Sink Wells.. Is this a good idea ? Is their a better alternative.. ?

i think you will find you will hit a volume limit pretty quick with concrete rings. good for small volume, not efficient for big volume because of wasted land area.

i would use a poured concrete floor for sure and for the walls, either poured concrete or cement blocks.

poured concrete walls will be move expensive but stronger. if opting for cement blocks, lay a line of 6mm steel between every row.

remember that the hydrostatic pressure on a tank is directly proportional to the depth of the water only, not the volume. so the thickness of the wall needs to be greater at greater depths and less at shallow depths. this can save a bit of money. so for example, if you make a tank 3m deep, your wall thickness might be 20cm at the bottom tapering to 10cm in the middle then cement blocks for the upper half.

remember the whole thing needs to be rendered with cement on the inside for water tightness. use plenty of plasticiser on the render mix to reduce water content and reduce the chance of shrinking and cracking when curing.

one other thing, a round tank will be more structurally stable than another shape.

steve

i think you will find you will hit a volume limit pretty quick with concrete rings. good for small volume, not efficient for big volume because of wasted land area.

i would use a poured concrete floor for sure and for the walls, either poured concrete or cement blocks.

poured concrete walls will be move expensive but stronger. if opting for cement blocks, lay a line of 6mm steel between every row.

remember that the hydrostatic pressure on a tank is directly proportional to the depth of the water only, not the volume. so the thickness of the wall needs to be greater at greater depths and less at shallow depths. this can save a bit of money. so for example, if you make a tank 3m deep, your wall thickness might be 20cm at the bottom tapering to 10cm in the middle then cement blocks for the upper half.

remember the whole thing needs to be rendered with cement on the inside for water tightness. use plenty of plasticiser on the render mix to reduce water content and reduce the chance of shrinking and cracking when curing.

one other thing, a round tank will be more structurally stable than another shape.

steve

Appreciate the advice Steve.. thx

I had a similar problem in my house in Koh Phangan last year. Firstly I intended to build a ~200m deep well (then quoted 200k bahts). Instead I have decided to go for another option: 2 concrete tanks 12,000 liters each + additional 3 x 2000 l removable tanks: that is 30,000 capacity in total. I have a gutter system ... and that works great. 8 people can live there with a pool for almost one month without rain.

If necessary, order a water supply truck (around 500 Bahts for 5000l if I recall correctly).

200,000 B is already very expensive (islands' price!)... but 450,000 is a realrip off. Nowadays all prices related to construction are sharply down, so are the housing starts! ... I dont understand the logic behind this x2 price!

Edited by fleming

• 2 years later...

hello

about deep well company in samui:

take care these people are not fair..;

i ordered here in samui a deep well from them, first they let me belive that we could find water at around 60 meters deep or so

the price for that was ok

they came and dril and ruil until to find water at 250 meters down...

for that they wanted me pay 500 000 bahts with out the pump...

more than that one thing people often dnt know: there are three quality of water pipes for the same size, the difference is on how thich they are...

of course they puted the ceaper ones bad quaility ,thin plastic, after a few time one year or so those pipes breaks due to the vibrations,

we asked them to come and fix that , they did not because of the argument we had with them

in brief deep well is not a good solution, you cannot thing to be quiet for years with that, the best way , cheaper way and safe way to have water

is to build a huge reservoir , the size depending of your house or resort, to collect rain wanter, to pump in a normal well and to collect water from any place you can

like springs or selse as they do in koh phangan; they have some km of pipes that collect water from the hills ceap and safe: you two or three systems(rain,well, hills)

to collect the water and you can be sure that those trheee system will not leave you with out of water in the same time

with a huge reservoir you can have a suplly for some weeks... if you have only a deep well if the pump, the pipes ect breaks no water anymore... until you can fix it and that can take time and quiet a lot s of money especially when you have a company like deep well samui..

soory for my english, its not my mother tongue i hope i made my self understandable

have a nice day!

thanks,

some times samui deep well just through the pup to the bottom of the well which sucks up the sirty water if u cut 4 or 8 meters off the pipe from the bottom u might have better water

An average household (2 persons) use about 10m³ water per month or 120m³ per year.

my calculation:

Farangs can lease land in Thailand for 30 years plus extend for 30 years more. (so far i know)

Who gives me the guarantee that i will have 100% water all the time during this 122/49 years?

your calculation doesn't take into account the cost of truck loads of water for when the mains are not sufficient.

my calculation:

your calculation doesn't take into account the cost of truck loads of water for when the mains are not sufficient.

Nor does it take into account that Mains water not available to all, especially, hills or mountain.