Weighing our visa options.

I want to move to Chiang Mai with my non-Thai wife.

I am 50 and she 49, currently we live in Penang Malaysia.

We both have Dutch passports.

What would be the easiest way to secure our long term stay in Thailand?

I think for me there are 2 options:

- Get a Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” here in Penang.

- Get an extension of stay based on retirement in Chiang Mai.

But how about my wife?

In case I get a Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” here in Penang can she get a dependent visa there at the same time?

In case we choose to get my extension of stay in Chiang Mai can she get her's as well? Or does she first have to go to an embassy or consulate outside Thailand?

Thanks,

Paul

You would both apply for a non-O visa, giving you a stay of 90 days.

After 60 days in Thailand you woud apply for an extension of stay based on retirement and your wif would apply based on being your dependent.

For the extension you would need to show:

- 800,000 baht in a bankaccount in thailand for 2 months (3 months every next extension)

OR

- an income of 65,000 baht a monht certified by your embassy

OR

a combination of money in the bank and yearly income togehter totaling 800,000 baht.

Your wife would need to show that she is married to you. English langage marriage certificate or English translation of that, certified.

• Like 1

You would both apply for a non-O visa, giving you a stay of 90 days.

Thanks Mario, I wasn't aware my wife, being bellow 50, would be eligible for a non-O visa. Would hers be based on marriage?

The process you describe looks like the way to go, we are able to meet the financial requirements.

As Mario said, you would be getting a Non-Imm O, not an O-A. Usually you have to apply for an O-A in your home country or a country in which you have some legal residence status.

Your continued stay in Thailand beyond the life of the visa would be based on an extension of stay from Immigrations. So the visa, followed by an extension of stay is really one option, not two.

As Mario said, you would be getting a Non-Imm O, not an O-A. Usually you have to apply for an O-A in your home country or a country in which you have some legal residence status.

I have a legal residence status in Malaysia but getting a non-o and proceed from there seems less hassle free then the O-A option.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed broken quote

The OA visa would not be a good option for you because your wife does not qualify for one also. Immigration cannot do a dependent extension for a OA visa entry. She would only be able to get a multiple entry non-o visa and would have to make border runs every 90 days for a new entry.

• Like 1