Monks defrocked, get rehab for Phuket garden drug parties

Lite Beer

Monks defrocked, get rehab for Phuket garden drug parties
Eakkapop Thongtub

mk.jpg

Some of the monks hear the results of their 'purple pee' tests

PHUKET: Five monks were defrocked yesterday (April 30) and sent for drug rehabilitation after they were found to under the influence of drugs. Another 11 were disciplined by their abbot for inappropriate behaviour.

The action came after the owner of a garden reported to police that, after doing alms rounds in the early afternoon, 18 monks from Wat Thalang were in the habit of disappearing into his garden. He was suspicious about what they were up to, he told officers.

Police arrived at the garden, close to the airport road. In a tin hut they found cooking utensils and a large number of empty alcohol bottles. Two of the 18 monks managed to escape, but the other 16 were rounded up and taken back to the wat.

There, the abbot, Promprapatsorn, headed the investigation into the bahaviour of the monks, some of whom were apparently woozy from alcohol or drugs.

Police requested urine samples from them all. The “purple pee” results on five of the samples indicated the possible presence of drugs.

The monks said they had only been taking medication for illness, so the police took them to Thalang hospital to check their blood for narcotics. The results were positive, at which point the monks confessed to drug abuse and requested to be sent for drug rehab.

The abbot expelled the five from the monkhood. The other 11 were found not to have committed crimes or contravened the rules of the monkhood in any major way but, because they had been behaving “wrongly” he ordered them to return to their original temples in Isarn for training to correct their behaviour.

All 16 were from Isarn, the grilling revealed. They said they had traveled to Phuket because they could get good money from local people and tourists wanting to make merit. At home, they said, they had hardly any income.

The landlord waived the right to charge them for trespassing on his land.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/monks-defrocked-get-rehab-for-phuket-garden-drug-parties-46033.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-01

"They said they had traveled to Phuket because they could get good money from local people and tourists wanting to make merit. At home, they said, they had hardly any income."

I thought monks weren't supposed to touch or use money. I have heard this a couple of times.

My first impression of the monks in the picture is that they look tough and dangerous. I remember driving by a wat shortly after I moved to Thailand and seeing a monk leaning against the the archway to the wat, smoking a cigarette. He looked like a hoodlum and had a lot of tattoos. That was an eye-opener. After talking to people about this, I found out that people sometimes become a monk to avoid jail time.

• Like 1

Meth-head monks defrocked after Phuket raid
Phuket Gazette

1_201451152932992_hTGTYwomQpVrHjeJRLVLei
Five monks tested positive for the drug ya bah. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- Five monks from Northern Thailand were defrocked in Phuket and volunteered to go to a drug-rehabilitation camp after testing positive for ya bah (methamphetamine) during a Thalang Police raid yesterday.

Police were notified of the behavior of the group of monks by residents in Moo 5 of Thepkrasattri Sub-district.

“Residents suspected that the men were fake monks because they went out and collected food and money at 1pm daily, then allegedly returned to a shelter on the airport bypass road to drink and use drugs,” said Lt Suchart Leucha of the Thalang Police.

When police arrived at the two shelters the monks were using, they found empty beer bottles outside.

“We questioned 16 monks at the scene, and asked to see their documentation while we conducted urine tests – we could smell alcohol on some of them,” Lt Suchart said.

“They all had the proper documentation. They are from temples in North and Northeastern Thailand.”

The five monks who tested positive for ya bah were defrocked at Thep Wanaram Temple (Wat Manik), but not charged, as they agreed to go to rehab.

The remaining 11 were sent back to their temples in the north, said Lt Suchart

Lt Suchart declined to name those defrocked.

One of the monks explained to police that it was possible to raise much more money at tourism destinations than they could at temples upcountry, which inspired them to come to Phuket.

“We cannot allow this to happen in Phuket. It could destroy our tourism image,” Lt Suchart said.

— Thawit Bilabdullar

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Methhead-monks-defrocked-Phuket-raid/29309#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-01

"They said they had traveled to Phuket because they could get good money from local people and tourists wanting to make merit. At home, they said, they had hardly any income."

I thought monks weren't supposed to touch or use money. I have heard this a couple of times.

My first impression of the monks in the picture is that they look tough and dangerous. I remember driving by a wat shortly after I moved to Thailand and seeing a monk leaning against the the archway to the wat, smoking a cigarette. He looked like a hoodlum and had a lot of tattoos. That was an eye-opener. After talking to people about this, I found out that people sometimes become a monk to avoid jail time.

Yeah, don't trust people with tattoos - they are all criminals and hoodlums...facepalm.gif

What rehabilitation?

Send them to jail, so they can pray hard, when the inmates ask them to bend over.

Why make such a vulgar comment?

Do you really think they, or anyone, should go to jail for taking drugs?

Do you really wish such suffering on other humans?

Congratulations and thanks to the resident and police. Such actions are to be congratulated because the more "monks" of this type that are exposed and removed the better.

• Seeking cash donation
  • Seeking alms after midday
  • Eating after midday
  • Using substances that lead to mindlessness

Shall we say a major departure from the teaching and vinya

Now the authorities need to follow up by going to the home monasteries and conducting drug/alcohol tests

Let us hope that the disrobed make better use of the opportunities provided by rehab than they did of the teachings that they had

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You might be right but having a cigarette is widely accepted and my favourite monk smokes cigarettes and has hundreds of tattoos and he was a hit men 40 years ago. He is now in his 70's and a great monk.

• Like 2

What rehabilitation?

Send them to jail, so they can pray hard, when the inmates ask them to bend over.

Why make such a vulgar comment?

Do you really think they, or anyone, should go to jail for taking drugs?

Do you really wish such suffering on other humans?

why not? Guys like that (pretending to be monks) should be taught a hard lesson. Mai pen rai just doesn't cut it.

Even religion is corrupt on Phuket. biggrin.png

Where on this planet is it any different?

Agreed, but can seem in thailand the extent and parade of examples is endless.

The rest of buddist nations cannot be bothered to put it in the news

Even religion is corrupt on Phuket. biggrin.png

Not just in Phuket...the last fortress against moral decay and corruption in Thai culture...is in serious trouble...

But where did they get the idea to call it drug parties ? Seems the report only tells about this one incident ,or the guy that owns the garden knows of many more times they have been there but did nothing , or they decided to buy their booze at the store and not from him. that it is what made him file , rat out

• Like 1