Purchase Cologne in Chiang Mai

nocturnalK

Hi,

I'm staying in the Old City, and I've been trying to find a place to purchase authentic cologne. I've visited the Central department stores at Kad Suan Kaow and Central Festival. Both places are severely overpriced.

Specifically, I'm looking for Issey Miyake brand, but that doesn't matter too much. I can settle with any of the other major brands as long as it's fairly priced.

The Issey Miyake bottles I found at Central department stores were priced more than double what they are in the United States.

Are there any discount cologne dealers in town? Or any place that can give me a fair price?

Any help is appreciated.

Perfume is different to aeu De toilette which is different to cologne: although men's cologne is closer to eau de toilette. Cologne tends to be more alcohol based and going up the line to oil based perfume. Cologne generally is a morning thing and perfume for the evening. Really all comes down to intensity. For a while I did some work for Carl Largerfeld - when Chloe was making a big push into the market. It was a very interesting time for me. I did a tour of the 4711 works in Cologne - nearly passed out, the smell was so strong. In an attempt to add to the OP's question: apart from the obvious I wonder if Boots might stock low end stuff. As for Issey Miyake and others like it you will most likely only get these through the big stores. Typically perfume houses in effect rent space within a store - stock and staff are usually covered directly by the perfume House itself. As terminatorchiangmai suggested you might try online - but watch out for copies. If it is too cheap it is most likely a scam.

This is one of those things you want to bring with you instead of buying in Thailand. Most things imported from outside of ASEAN are hit with a big import tax; I know perfumes are, I assume colognes are the same. It's also supposed to be held at the post office until taxes are paid if ordered online, but I don't know how vigilant the Post is at doing this.

• Like 1

I use Kiehl's cosmetics (now owned by L'Oreal) and it is three times more expensive here than from Kiehl's online shop in the States. I like Lagerfeld Men's cologne by the way. A classic fragrance!

you can go to shops here, select your fragrance from a menu, the clerk will bring up the formula on the computer and mix it up for you. cost about 160 Baht plus the cost of the bottle you choose. you will never tell the difference from the "real" thing. years ago the wife bought some French perfumes when she was in either Malaysia or Singapore - i forget now. then she went to a shop in town and ordered Thai versions. she put the fragrances on little cards and asked several of her friends which were "real" and which were Thai versions. not one person could tell the difference. if you want to waste your money on "real" versions that's up to you.

you can go to shops here, select your fragrance from a menu, the clerk will bring up the formula on the computer and mix it up for you. cost about 160 Baht plus the cost of the bottle you choose. you will never tell the difference from the "real" thing. years ago the wife bought some French perfumes when she was in either Malaysia or Singapore - i forget now. then she went to a shop in town and ordered Thai versions. she put the fragrances on little cards and asked several of her friends which were "real" and which were Thai versions. not one person could tell the difference. if you want to waste your money on "real" versions that's up to you.

Can you name a few shops that do this please?

Can you name a few shops that do this please?

from a bottle i found in the house: Lanna Scenty Co., LTD. 053-326248-9, 082-8299518 www.fumesland.com (which i guess is the website from the parent company in BKK)

Edit: here is the address and map to the place. appears to be right on the moat. http://www.fumesland.com/%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%93%E0%B8%88%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88f13.htm

i should mention that the wife gave me some bottles of men's cologne as gifts that she got from either this shop or others and i too, can't tell the difference from the "real" thing. you can also bring fragrances in and they will re-create them for you. she had a customer who liked the smell of the fabric softener they use in Thailand and wanted 10 litres to be exported. this shop (or the Bangkok factory) re-created the fragrance for her.

Edited by Oscar2
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...