Bangkok Bank app PITA setup when using a new phone

kasikorn and Krungsri both easy can put in account details and telephone number and away you go, app installs.

Bangkok Bank you need a new ID so have to go to a branch, 30 mins later done, but not possible if abroad?

Also, BB always seem to be short staffed. One person working, in no rush, chatting, while several customers patiently wait, I left went to another branch 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

New phone, unchanged phone number?

Wish I could remember how I did it.

But I didn't need to visit the branch.

Was it with using the debit card number?

And the PIN that I use is identical with the ATM PIN.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

New phone, unchanged phone number?

Wish I could remember how I did it.

But I didn't need to visit the branch.

Was it with using the debit card number?

And the PIN that I use is identical with the ATM PIN.

3 options, one was enter account details (for Thais although it's in English), one was User ID that needed a new setup, 3rd one can't remember, don't recall a card number option. Phone number same

Edited by scubascuba3

Changed phone just before Xmas & got the app installed/working with details (needed to get a reminder of my Customer Number & set-up a new Pin number, It was a 4 digit Pin not my usual 6 digit pin number) from the ATM. 

Things could have changed with the new App version, especially as they've added the facial recognition part to it so clearly updated the security. 

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes that's it, wouldn't let me take a screenshot. First one branch had to use, 2nd one no good as no card, 3rd one for Thais

Wow! Learning things today. My Bangkok Bank ATM cards expired end September. Haven't bothered to ask for new ones because I can make cardless cash withdrawals from ATM's. Might be a good idea to ask for new physical cards?

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Wow! Learning things today. My Bangkok Bank ATM cards expired end September. Haven't bothered to ask for new ones because I can make cardless cash withdrawals from ATM's. Might be a good idea to ask for new physical cards?

That's 300 baht, only if you need it, maybe if going abroad might be worth it just in case

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2023 at 2:30 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Yes that's it, wouldn't let me take a screenshot. First one branch had to use, 2nd one no good as no card, 3rd one for Thais

Why exactly did you have to go to the branch? Did you not have (or remember) your User ID?

I've changed phones with Bangkok Bank before and I simply logged in on the new phone using my (existing) User ID. I think they sent an OTP by SMS to validate, but that was it, no visit to the branch required.

9 hours ago, Caldera said:

Why exactly did you have to go to the branch? Did you not have (or remember) your User ID?

I've changed phones with Bangkok Bank before and I simply logged in on the new phone using my (existing) User ID. I think they sent an OTP by SMS to validate, but that was it, no visit to the branch required.

When? How old is your info?

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

Yes that was the case for me. I only had the account for a year and never signed up for the iBanking (browser based online banking) account because the app is just fine. But without the iBanking account (which is the first option in the mobile app registration screen I posted above), it doesn't work.

So last weekend I went to the branch and they explained to me that I can actually do it myself at their ATM, there's an option to register for iBanking account. It gives you a temporary ID (some x long digit number) and you set a 4 digit password. Then you can use that to activate the mobile app, and you can use iBanking where you can change the password to something more complex and also change the random digit string to a new user name.

So strictly speaking 'branch' visit (with associated waiting time) not needed, can do self-service at an ATM. But it requires obviously that (a) you're in the country and (b) you still have the same mobile number that they have on record for your account.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

When? How old is your info?

How about answering my question first, before coming back with questions.

The reason why your experience and mine seems to have been different is that I already had a User ID. I tried to figure out why you didn't have one at the time you switched phones, which might help explain why you had to go to the branch.

I don't think the procedure has changed recently, but for what it's worth, the last time I moved the Bangkok Bank app to a new phone was in March.

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

How about answering my question first, before coming back with questions.

The reason why your experience and mine seems to have been different is that I already had a User ID. I tried to figure out why you didn't have one at the time you switched phones, which might help explain why you had to go to the branch.

I don't think the procedure has changed recently, but for what it's worth, the last time I moved the Bangkok Bank app to a new phone was in March.

If you go onto the app there is no user ID, if you find it let me know. The app has changed since March

Can confirm.  Just got a new phone 2 weeks ago.  Same sim, same number, even ported over the app for Bangkok Bank.  Had to go in to branch, bring my ATM card, they went outside with me to ATM, did some stuff there, came back in, more paperwork.

They were quite nice about it but yeah, took a good 20 minutes or so.

The app HAS an option to do it by providing info about your ATM.  But even after I provided it correctly, it gave an error and said to go to a branch or call a number or something along those lines.  There was no directions that I saw, saying to actually go use an ATM and get a temporary PIN.  Maybe that works but I wasn't aware of it.

Edited by QuantumQuandry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Can confirm.  Just got a new phone 2 weeks ago.  Same sim, same number, even ported over the app for Bangkok Bank.  Had to go in to branch, bring my ATM card, they went outside with me to ATM, did some stuff there, came back in, more paperwork.

They were quite nice about it but yeah, took a good 20 minutes or so.

The app HAS an option to do it by providing info about your ATM.  But even after I provided it correctly, it gave an error and said to go to a branch or call a number or something along those lines.  There was no directions that I saw, saying to actually go use an ATM and get a temporary PIN.  Maybe that works but I wasn't aware of it.

Yes so further evidence it's a real issue, imagine being abroad, got a new phone and needed to use the app, disaster

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes so further evidence it's a real issue, imagine being abroad, got a new phone and needed to use the app, disaster

You need to apply for ibanking user id. Do that in branch.

I changed my phone in May this year using option 1 and i was in the UK.

• Thumbs Up 1

if you didn't set your own user ID, you can request one from their ATM, it's then good for that phone's installation, you can change it to your own username and for the next installation on another phone you won't need to visit ATM or branch, providing you remembered your details 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1