need to rant, that's all

khunkeith

One of my pet hates is foreigners who preface their name, nickname, handle with the word Khun or Ajarn

I have not heard the term "pet peeves" since 2rd grade when my teacher, an grandmotherly type, used it ad nauseum and that was 50 years ago.

When I first started come regularly, a couple decades ago, I always stayed in the same hotel and the Thai's greeted with that name as they knew me and recognized me on site. I liked it. so, if it bothers you, tough shit. Get a life.

When I lived in Germany, I was greeted as Herr, and in Japan as with San after my name.

no worries buddy i know exactly what you mean.be a DiY man whenever i need something: mai mee...the shabby work of any handy man here i even can't beat it as an amateur,but you know what? who cares at the end things are working- just Thai in the way even if 5 guys have to show up at the end it is working....somehow???

One of the major perils in living in Thailand is the insincerities of the locals in regard

to just about any commitments, a complete disregards for ethics, not in the local's

vocabulary, asking some one to come and do/fix/take it's like a crap shot, you never

the outcome until they come, best advice, learn to live with it and around it, some how,

it works, not to sweat the little thing in life....

"asking some one to come and do/fix/take it's like a crap shot [sic]"

Shooting/flinging crap comes easily to some people.

I've had good service from 3BB. The last few times the technicians said the problem was in my building. I was skeptical, but they were proved right. I had someone install a new cable. He did it in slightly more than 24 hours from the time I requested it. All is working perfectly now.

Wanted to get some cabinetry redone in my bathroom. Someone recommended a guy from a local motorbike taxi stand. He took measurements, did some of the initial work at home and finished the job in a few days. Excellent job and reasonably priced. I've had him back a couple more time for some small jobs.

I had a problem with a newly purchased computer and the installation of the O/S (that I had done on my own). The technician from the place I bought it solved the problem within minutes and sorted out a few other issues I hadn't even noticed as well as installing several of my old programs that might have had compatibility issues with the new O/S.

A neighbor had an A/C problem. Their A/Cs are not newly purchased, but Numchai in Pattaya had someone out. He spent some time completely cleaning the units one day and was out the next day to complete the servicing. All is well now.

The workmen in my building always respond very quickly if there's any problem ... plumbing, electrical, internet or cable connection. I mean the same day and often immediately.

I know there can be times when there are frustrating delays and you end up sitting at home waiting for someone to come out, but there are also many times when things go very well. Possibly they respond better to customers who aren't producing a continuous high-pitched whining sound.

Most of the jokes about repairmen coming to your home and customer service are generated in Farang Land, for good reason.

header.jpg

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/customer_service

One of my pet hates is foreigners who preface their name, nickname, handle with the word Khun or Ajarn

I have not heard the term "pet peeves" since 2rd grade when my teacher, an grandmotherly type, used it ad nauseum and that was 50 years ago.

When I first started come regularly, a couple decades ago, I always stayed in the same hotel and the Thai's greeted with that name as they knew me and recognized me on site. I liked it. so, if it bothers you, tough shit. Get a life.

When I lived in Germany, I was greeted as Herr, and in Japan as with San after my name.

In Thai culture, if you call yourself, or even write "khun" before your name, it is not correct. It is for other people to call you khun....... or write khun before your name. Probably ok here on the forum, just sayingwai2.gif

• Like 1

After living here for twelve years, i know exactly how you feel. i have just learnt to take everything in my stride & let things go with the flow.

• Like 1

In Thai culture, if you call yourself, or even write "khun" before your name, it is not correct. It is for other people to call you khun....... or write khun before your name. Probably ok here on the forum, just sayingwai2.gif

this is the only place I call myself that. I liked when the Thai's called me that when I first started visiting. I thought it was fun. I still do.

TV knackered go to any little lan that repair TVs

And done probably same say.

Got a Samsung 32 inch in back room the sound kept going up and down ..

Fixed 400 baht .

You want to deal with main dealer. Your kids will leave uni first.

If they string you along go the next shop. In Thailand there's always a next shop near by.

Near me there's 5 pharmacy s in 10 metre range.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sadly mate you'll just have to roll with it. I had to wait 4 days for the painters to show up recently. The upside is that when they did finally make it they did a belting job and that has been my experience all round.

Yeah but they charged you twice what they said they would. JUst joking...

I've had good luck but the wife handles all affairs for the household as well as utilities and banking. Works perfectly and all's online.

I think your problem is not with Thai people, but with your appliances... Everything is broken? maybe time for new? Be sure to buy from a GOOD reputable store and good appliances (not those cheap chinese made with no warranty...)

One of the major perils in living in Thailand is the insincerities of the locals in regard

to just about any commitments, a complete disregards for ethics, not in the local's

vocabulary, asking some one to come and do/fix/take it's like a crap shot, you never

the outcome until they come, best advice, learn to live with it and around it, some how,

it works, not to sweat the little thing in life....

Too bad you think that. It is international. Farang for much of their time in life and Thailand do not relate very well to others. The world does not revolve around farang. Help out if you think it is such a cry baby hardship to have to be patient and empathetic.

I'm lucky, inasmuch as i have a degree in electronics and so i just google the manuals( If needed) and repair everything myself. I have seen enough shoddy workmanship to never trust anyone with my electrics.

Over the years I have bought many "tools" and learned to do things, fix stuff or totally phuck up just about everything... including cutting my own hair and cooking my own food...hahaha
I figured if that rock head can do it, so can I.

Nobody works on my motorcycle or bicycles.

This does not include the excellent mechanic that did the difficult work on my truck or the air con dude.

Reliance upon others has usually left me frustrated, unimpressed and disappointed... very generally speaking.

I've lived in a few countries in Asia and apart from Hong Kong, they are much the same. That said, my brother lives in the UK. Computer broken, calls for repair, makes an appointment, takes a day off work, as they won't come out at the weekend.......and no one turns up......twice. Like many other changes in this modern world where people seem to care less and less, I'm sure it's the same just about everywhere, except Gemany perhaps......?

I asked my Thai friend about a plumber, he laughed and said "I'm a plumber, my wife's a plumber, you're a plumber". I have

learnt to fix my external water pipe which leaks periodically and I regularly clean drains as my family like to push

everything down the drain rather than remove it outside, items such as rice, food scraps, rubber bands, hair you name it. I

live fairly remote, if someone is coming have to ride out to the main road to show them the way in. I generally take

appliances to the repair shop. I have a Samsung washing machine and since I vowed a year ago not to have it repaired again andjust junk it if it stops, I have kept it going myself. Now it has only one water level setting. It's been the worst but I've

also had the TV, the fridge and the oven in once each. On three occasions mice have been blamed for cutting wires, so much so that I've made sure they cant enter the house via the water pipes or the washing machine via its drain pipe. Can't get an

electrician so when my safety cut out failed and the local who is not an electrician but was an apprentice to one told me to

buy a new one for 5000, I just wired the power open so no safety cut out now. My household pump is about to fail again but

it's workings are beyond me, however my family can fix this, they have been living with pumps all their life.

It could be where you live, I used for my sins live near Pattaya and could never get anything fixed.

I moved out to mid Thailand and thing's believe it or not are first rate.

Aircon: same day service only a phone call needed, I have had problem's with my Comp: on a few occasions they come within an hour if they cant fix there and then take it away and within a day or two it's delivered back and reinstalled As I got all my comp: stuff from the same small shop they don't even charge for labour only part's. As luck would have it never had a fridge go wrong. Have three + two freezers, but I never buy a Samsung anything after the first Samsung TV I got that never stopped playing up.

my last time to buy anything Samsung either. Everything Samsung or Sony I have bought in the last few years has had problems. I live far from any large city, at least one hour. I think it's just how they are here. Iwould not live in Pattaya ever though. when visit friends there, I am ready to leave after 2 or 3 days. I love it up north but, it's just trying to get service people to come when they say gets on my nerves.

I am about to go out and buy some blocks of ice for my coolers.

As always we all have different experiences, over the past decade or so I've had very few problems or issues with any Samsung products and tend to pick them over any other manufacturer.

Having said that, the "quality" or "reliability" of ANY manufacturer nowadays has gone downhill . . . Apple for example used to be excellent (5+ years ago), but now they just build cheap crap and charge a lot for it.

Remember one thing in Thailand.

Just because someone has a shop with TV Repair, DVD Repair, Air Con repair, Mechanic, Dentist, Pharmacist, it doesn't actually mean that they have any training or qualifications as such. It only means one thing.

At some point in the past they had enough money to buy the sign.

:)

khunkeith, on 04 May 2014 - 16:41, said:
Rorri, on 04 May 2014 - 16:32, said:

They obviously know that bad luck follows you... just look at how many problems you have.... in 5 years I haven't had any failures. Trust the Thais... go get some good luck... Oh, all I said is in jest.

all is good except for finding qualified repair people that show up when they say they do. Everyone I know that lives here has the same problems. that's why it was a rant. Rant means no solution. It's just about blowing off steam. I have a friend that has lived here 16 years and speak fluent Thai and has the same problems. The only solution is to get used to it instead of getting angry about it.

Oh boy, you really have to be careful mentioning "qualified" as most know "qualified" here is not the same as "qualified" in our home countries. This is one reason why things don't get fixed locally, also as a friend found out, you are told can not be fixed, need buy new one, well he brings his oven to "Mr Fixit", me, and all that needed fixing was a faulty connecter inside the oven. Not many genuine "qualified" tradesmen here.

tolsti, on 04 May 2014 - 18:59, said:

OMG, you really have issues, we are so worried by you....get help.

• Like 1

After living here for twelve years, i know exactly how you feel. i have just learnt to take everything in my stride & let things go with the flow.

I can't be bothered getting flustered with such things.

It takes awhile and you need to talk to other expats to get good reccomendations. I had an excelent AC guy who would show up when he said he would and would do the job for the price quoted. He was not cheap by Thai standards but his work ethic was great and he always cleaned up. Don't mind paying for quality service. Took me three attempts however to get the roof totally water proof!

tolsti, on 04 May 2014 - 18:59, said:

OMG, you really have issues, we are so worried by you....get help.

there is always a troll. If I was an admin on this site, at first sign of a troll comment, suspension. Lot's of great and helpful and understanding people here but, trolls pop up now and again.

It took me TWO MONTHS to get 3BB and my apartment technicians to fix my internet. They kept pointing their fingers at each other. I finally called my landlady and told her if it wasn't fixed I was gone. It was fine the next day.