Strong earthquake jolts Tokyo

webfact

Strong earthquake jolts Tokyo
News Desk
The Yomiuri Shimbun

TOKYO: -- A strong earthquake, with an estimated magnitude of 6.0, jolted central Tokyo on Monday morning.

The quake, which struck at about 5:18am, measured lower 5 on the Japanese seismic intensity scale of 7 in Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo.

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, the focus is about 162 kilometres below the seafloor off Izu Oshima island.

The quake unlikely will cause tsunami, the agency said.

The quake registered an intensity of 4 in other areas of Tokyo and some areas in Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Tochigi and Gunma prefectures.

The earthquake was the strongest seismic intensity level measured in central Tokyo since the Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011.

No major damage has been reported, although there have been some disruptions in public transport systems.

The secretariat of the Nuclear Regulation Authority said the quake caused no trouble at nuclear plant facilities in Ibaraki, Niigata and Fukushima prefectures.

ann.jpg
-- ANN 2014-05-05

Got to feel sorry for the Japanese, they have really had there fair share of natural disasters over the last few years ! Hope everything is OK after this.

• Like 1

I hope the Japanese are being honest about it not causing any further damage at Fukushima. That's a pretty fragile situation as it is.

very wishfull thinkingsad.png

NY Times Reporter: Untold story of Fukushima is the radiation issue, gov’t doesn’t want us talking about it; A lot going on that’s never reported by media — Afraid of being imprisoned under Japan’s new secrecy law; ph34r.png All officials have to do is say the info is secret (AUDIO)

http://www.fccj.or.jp/news-and-views/club-news-multimedia/403-the-correspondents-table-march-podcast-talking-about-post-3-11-tohoku.html

Yep, it was quite a strong one, had a minor one 20 minutes before, but the one at 5.20 quite a shaker.

I only arrived on Saturday, they are a bit unnerving. Tokyo is waiting for 'The Big One' and when it starts shaking you're wondering, is this the one.

I have felt much bigger quakes in Tokyo, but they are all unnerving.

As far as I know, Tokyo, like L.A., is located in a location extremely prone to earthquakes. If the city suffers from a major quake with enormous damage,(which is historically overdue) the Japanese will need an awful lot of money to rebuild. Hence, they will take out every Yen they got stored in other parts of the world. That may lead to a wave of worldwide quakes…

I hope the Japanese are being honest about it not causing any further damage at Fukushima. That's a pretty fragile situation as it is.

Fukushima is a long way from Tokyo and although I was woken by the quake I'm in Tokyo.

It wasn't very big as these go, nothing even fell down and with other quakes things do

Don't forget that the epicentre was about 150km deep so the effect was nothing like the ChangRai quake though it was the same magnitude.

So all in all it was a usual tokyo quake, which happens several times a year.