Any anciens de la legion?

healthbkkbkk

Just a quick shot in the dark but are there any veterans from the Legion here?

Some years ago I was standing at a crosswalk when I heard a familiar voice. I looked to my right and there standing next to me was a Legionnaire I had served with. We had both been wounded and shared the same hospital bed many decades ago. He was only here for a short time but it was good to see someone from the old days.

I can't be the only one in Thailand, can I?

Edited by healthbkkbkk

Met some LEIs a few years ago. But you will that the majority of expats here are former SAS, Green Berets, LAPD Swat members and retired Rangers.thumbsup.gif

You guys ever get to keep the nom de guerre? Always wondered about that.coffee1.gif

I was a Legionnaire a long, long time ago so I'm not up to date as to how things are done today.

Did I hint some sarcasm in your post?

The so called "nom de guerre" term wasn't used in my time but I suppose you are referring to the law of anonymity.

Only under extreme circumstances could a Legionnaire keep his Legion name but then it was usually changed again when sent back to civilian life IF one remained in France but this was very rare so to answer your question: no at 99.99%.

Strange that I've never encountered anyone claiming to have been any type of former Special Forces in Thailand. I have known a few active members on station here though.

I also meant to say hospital room and not hospital bed.

Edited by healthbkkbkk

Met some LEIs a few years ago. But you will that the majority of expats here are former SAS, Green Berets, LAPD Swat members and retired Rangers.thumbsup.gif

You guys ever get to keep the nom de guerre? Always wondered about that.coffee1.gif

I was a Legionnaire a long, long time ago so I'm not up to date as to how things are done today.

The so called "nom de guerre" term wasn't used in my time but I suppose you are referring to the law of anonymity.

Only under extreme circumstances could a Legionnaire keep his Legion name but then it was usually changed again when sent back to civilian life IF one remained in France but this was very rare so to answer your question: no at 99.99%.

Strange that I've never encountered anyone claiming to have been any type of former Special Forces in Thailand. I have known a few active members on station here though.

When you go diving, half the divemaster in Pattaya claim to be professional frogman, navy seals, underwater fighter, etc etc.

Most are just professional liar. But that is the reason that if anyone mention some professional forces the jokes come in, as they automatically assume that it is another of these....

(Like in some countries with draft army, you can than add some time, called something translated to "time-soldier" and most just do the walking around with the new drafts, and later when they finish and are unemployed and than get dive master, this changes to hardest guy of the most special force)

When you go diving, half the divemaster in Pattaya claim to be professional frogman, navy seals, underwater fighter, etc etc.

Most are just professional liar. But that is the reason that if anyone mention some professional forces the jokes come in, as they automatically assume that it is another of these....

(Like in some countries with draft army, you can than add some time, called something translated to "time-soldier" and most just do the walking around with the new drafts, and later when they finish and are unemployed and than get dive master, this changes to hardest guy of the most special force)

I didn't know these things so now I understand.

My apologies to Somtamnication for thinking wrong about his post.

• Like 1