Thai PM Yingluck set to face court as legal troubles intensify

webfact

Thai PM set to face court as legal troubles intensify

BANGKOK, May 6, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's besieged Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is due to appear in front of the nation's Constitutional Court on Tuesday facing allegations of abuse of power that could see her sacked from office.

The case, one of two potential knockout legal moves against her premiership, comes as Thailand's political crisis reaches a critical juncture with anti-government protesters still massed on Bangkok's streets -- although in diminished numbers -- and Yingluck's supporters also threatening to rally to defend her.

The complaint was filed to the court by a group of senators who said that the replacement of then-national security chief Thawil Pliensri after Yingluck was elected in 2011 was for the benefit of her party.

Under the constitution -- forged after a 2006 coup that ousted Yingluck's billionaire brother Thaksin Shinawatra as premier -- such an offence could lead to her removal and a ban from politics.

It was unclear whether Yingluck will attend as ordered by the court along with three others who are due to give testimony, including Thawil.

The court has not given a date for its ruling but a member of Yingluck's legal team urged the nine-member appointed court to give the case more time.

"We have asked for five more witnesses... the court has not yet made a decision on that request," he told AFP on Monday, requesting anonymity.

The court could also extend its verdict to key cabinet members who endorsed the decision to remove Thawil, potentially dislodging a layer of ruling party decision-makers with ties to Thaksin, who lives overseas to avoid jail for corruption convictions.

Six months of political street protests have so far failed to force Yingluck from office.

But observers say the legal challenges appear poised to end her administration.

Yingluck has also been charged by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) with neglect of duty in connection with a costly and bungled rice subsidy scheme that critics say fomented rampant corruption.

If indicted on those charges, Yingluck would be suspended from office and face an impeachment vote in the upper house of parliament that could lead to a five-year ban from politics.

"If the Constitutional Court does not rule against Yingluck -- which I think it will -- then the NACC will at least impeach her and she would have to step down while the Senate decides on convicting her," said Paul Chambers, director of research at the Institute of South East Asian Affairs at Chiang Mai University.

Critics accuse the Constitutional Court of rushing through Yingluck's case and allege previous rulings show that it is politically biased against the Shinawatras.

In 2008, the court forced two Thaksin-linked prime ministers from office.

The Constitutional Court in March nullified a February general election disrupted by protesters, leaving the kingdom in legislative limbo with only a caretaker government.

Thaksin-allied parties won every previous election for more than a decade, helped by strong support in the northern half of the kingdom.

Election authorities and the ruling party have agreed on July 20 for new polls to find a way through the political paralysis, which has chiselled away at Thailand's once-dynamic growth.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-06

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Decision day for PM edging closer
The Nation

EC to draft election decree, as Abhisit presents report and court hearing begins

BANGKOK: -- Many political players and stakeholders will make moves today in the rush to reach a solution to end the unrest that has loomed large over the country for months. The Election Commission will prepare the draft for a royal decree to call another election.

Opposition party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva will submit to the commission his plan to delay the poll and install a non-elected interim government.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, the protesters and all other political parties will also receive the plan in detail and have been asked to act on their parts in the plan.

EC secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong said that if the five-member commission agreed on the election decree, it would be submitted to the Cabinet without delay. The EC and the government last week agreed to schedule July 20 as the election date.

The EC members would also consider Abhisit's idea to break the political impasse, he said.

Abhisit asked the EC to change some laws and regulations to have harsher penalties for electoral fraud and prohibit populist poll campaigns.

Abhisit's plan requires political parties wishing to run in the next election to promise to support national reform and the next government would stay in power for only one year to carry out reform.

The Democrat Party leader on Saturday announced his plan which, if accepted, would mean the election set for July 20 would be postponed. He also asked Yingluck to step down, and asked for her answer before the Constitutional Court announces its ruling on her status.

On the legal front, the Constitutional Court scheduled today for witnesses to testify in the case involving National Security Chief Thawil Pliensri's removal.

The witnesses include Thawil, Senator Paiboon Nititawan - who brought the case to the court, former national police chief Wichean Potephosree - who replaced Thawil, and Yingluck. It is uncertain when the court will give its ruling.

NACC ruling on Yingluck soon

Meanwhile, the National Anti-Corruption Commission's investigation team will today conclude and submit to the NACC commissioners its report on Yingluck's alleged negligence relating to the government's rice-pledging scheme. It is expected the NACC will decide whether to indict Yingluck on Thursday at the earliest and May 15 at the latest.

If Yingluck is indicted, she must be suspended from work.

The ruling Pheu Thai Party's spokesman Prompong Nopparit said his party would meet to consider Ahbisit's 10-step roadmap today. Pheu Thai key members claim that the plan goes against the charter.

Mahidol University peace expert Gothom Arya urged Pheu Thai Party and other groups not to fully reject Abhisit's proposals, pointing out three points at least that all sides should be able to accept and uphold.

They are the rejection of violence, forging change in a constitutional manner and solving the crisis without dragging the monarchy into it.

Abhisit should not consider his proposals as written in stone but should be satisfied if some of the 10 points were accepted, Gothom said.

Separately, the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) massed yesterday afternoon in front of the statue of King Rama VI in Lumpini Park, their rally site, before marching to the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, next to the Grand Palace.

PDRC secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban led people to make a vow, offer flowers and light candles at the temple in honour of the King's coronation before leading supporters, in the coming days on what he called "the final fight".

Next Tuesday, Suthep and the PDRC will perform a ceremony to rid the Kingdom of evils. It will fall on Visakha Puja Day, with the group's declared "last battle" beginning the following day.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-06

closer, .... and closer, and .... many days, many weeks, many months and many many many years.... for more than 3 freaking, it's getting closer, closer and CLOSEEEERRRRR!!!!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

How close is that game gonna come???

Very close,... see you tomorrow, in a week, in a month, .... or maybe after the 20th July ELECTION-COLLECTION,.... maybe next year.... maybe next 2 years,... the following two years .... next 10-20 years????

.... NAAAAHHHH, forget about it, it's getting boring,.... let her go to Hawaii already,.... thank you folks, bye bye... giggle.gifgiggle.gif

Edited by MaxLee

I see once again the prefix of caretaker has been dropped, so she is back as PM again.

The same seems to apply to the cabinet ministers.

In there eyes only.

I also note that :

The ruling Pheu Thai Party's spokesman Prompong Nopparit said his party would meet to consider Ahbisit's 10-step roadmap today. Pheu Thai key members claim that the plan goes against the charter

So they haven't as yet met to consider Abhisits plan yet have dismissed it out of hand.

• Like 2

I see once again the prefix of caretaker has been dropped, so she is back as PM again.

In there eyes only.

I also note that :

The ruling Pheu Thai Party's spokesman Prompong Nopparit said his party would meet to consider Ahbisit's 10-step roadmap today. Pheu Thai key members claim that the plan goes against the charter

So they haven't as yet met to consider Abhisits plan yet have dismissed it out of hand.

Early on Sunday i checked the website of the other newspaper and there was the story that PTP would consider Abhisit's proposals but an hour later the BBC's Jonathan Head was reporting PTP had dismissed them... ?

closer, .... and closer, and .... many days, many weeks, many months and many many many years.... for more than 3 freaking, it's getting closer, closer and CLOSEEEERRRRR!!!!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Very close,... see you tomorrow, in a week, in a month, .... or maybe after the 20th July ELECTION-COLLECTION,.... maybe next year.... maybe next 2 years,... the following two years .... next 10-20 years????

.... NAAAAHHHH, forget about it, it's getting boring,.... let her go to Hawaii already,.... thank you folks, bye bye... giggle.gifgiggle.gif

Waste of space....the PM and the post.

• Like 2

I think none of these actions will make a difference here. Only getting YL out of office is not enough. The PTP have a plan already to keep their party in power. One of which has been said was should YL lose her cases that they would appoint Chalerm as interim PM until elections.

Im certain that the PTP have already made a plan to stay in power and control of the Gov. They have proven time and again that they will use any means needed to get their way.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I don't know what you are on, but you should quit!

It is a fact that she will have to face the music, and that the result will be nasty for her and her clan...

Now, it does not matter how long this has been predicted, and how many days or weeks it will take from now. The end is near, and we will know after how the fate of this country will turn.

Hawai, Dubai, or a nice cell in a jail, is one possible outcome. Another option is that the reds get mad and go for broke.

Near future will tell...

I think none of these actions will make a difference here. Only getting YL out of office is not enough. The PTP have a plan already to keep their party in power. One of which has been said was should YL lose her cases that they would appoint Chalerm as interim PM until elections.

Im certain that the PTP have already made a plan to stay in power and control of the Gov. They have proven time and again that they will use any means needed to get their way.

IF PTP still exist when all the court action has been taken, I would say IF the PTP get in power again select Chalerm for PM and that will be curtains for them for all time, so select him I dare you stupid lot, and they are loony enough to do it.cheesy.gif

• Like 2

"They have proven time and again that they will use any means needed to get their way."

Even so, Chalerm as PM seems a bit excessive. Although good comedy value is assured.

I don't think Hawaii would be good. People in Hawaii enjoy 3 things Thai people don't like.

1. Fun in the sun.

2. Swimming.

3. Playing in the rain.

Why are you fixated on Hawaii? You keep on harping on about it, but why?

In there eyes only.

I also note that :

If you look closely, I'll think you'll find the articles are written by employees at AFP and "journalists" at The Nation, it's not a caretaker government press release. Therefore your pointless little dig about the government as if there were some great conspiracy afoot, "In there (sic) eyes only" is just that, pointless.

Likewise you appear to have some difficulty with understanding free speech. Whilst it is confusing at times, there are no laws about individual members of the government making comments that differ from the "official" government comment and that the two can co-exist. This phenomenon is not restricted to the PTP.

Edited by fab4

If she get sacked, the really mess will begin.

So does that mean do not allow the mess, not let justice get in the way and leave her alone, to mess up again ??? If she does not get fired a bigger MESS will take place believe me.

• Like 1

In there eyes only.

I also note that :

<snip>

Likewise you appear to have some difficulty with understanding free speech. Whilst it is confusing at times, there are no laws about individual members of the government making comments that differ from the "official" government comment and that the two can co-exist. This phenomenon is not restricted to the PTP.

Is this change in party policy approved by Thaksin?

• Like 1

<snip>

Is this change in party policy approved by Thaksin?

Oh, my good lord you're funny. I forgot that everything the PTP does has to be approved by Thaksin in certain peoples eyes. I get it now, haha.......................... Next

Really no big deal if Yingluck goes as long as the caretaker government stay till the election and not allow the fascist get their chance of an appointed PM. The caretaker government can select a new interim PM. Yingluck deserved her break from politics.

• Like 2

Waste of space....the PM and the post.

As the locals put it, 'heavy on the land" (useless to one's country). She sure is. Downgraded the place quite a few notches, she did.

Edited by gemini81

...please tell me reports that she has asked for a reprieve.....to go visit the earthquake areas......cannot be true....

....that would be too ..............

They are that low they will get into any nook and cranny to escape from reality.