Carefree culture leads to one thing: dark, lonely days ahead: Thai opinion

webfact

STREETWISE
Carefree culture leads to one thing: dark, lonely days ahead

Achara Deboonme

BANGKOK: -- A night on Phaholyothin Road followed by a visit to a nursing home in Pathum Thani shed light for me on how low-income poor Thais are preparing for the ageing society.

At a section on Phaholyothin Road, pubs and restaurants have sprung up around a lotus pond, a serene scene as the sun sets. Sitting at a table near the pond watching aircraft slide into the sky from Don Mueang Airport, I basked in the quiet cool of evening.

I was surprised by the menu, though. Despite advertising itself as an Isaan restaurant, its short list didn't include sticky rice. Another surprise followed when the food arrived: The taste was far from perfect. Well, the view helped. We finished with the food and asked for beer. Though signs advertised several brands, we quickly discovered our choices were few.

A question sprang up: What exactly does this place offer? It couldn't be the view - the eating area was messy, with tissues littering the pond's edge. It obviously couldn't be the food given the limited choice and the taste.

The answer arrived around 9pm, when a troupe of young girls in hot-pants and tight red vests showed up and the live band started to play. Shortly after that, men in their 30s and 40s began to appear. The girls, in their teens and early 20s, hung around their tables pouring drinks and sharing shisha pipes.

The night had just begun for them, but it was time for the over-40s to leave. Exiting, I wondered how often these guys visited the place and how much they paid each night. Average annual income is about Bt107,00 in Thailand, but more than half of us still earn less than Bt50,000 a year. And given our high level of household debt - over 80 per cent of gross domestic product - I wondered how much is being saved for retirement.

How much did these girls earn per month, how long could they do this job and how would they support themselves financially after that?

Most Thais shrug off questions about retirement plans. For many, getting enough food to fill their bellies each day is difficult enough. And those who earn more often prefer to leave that question unanswered for as long as possible. Which is not surprising, given our low level of savings of only about 30 per cent of GDP.

The high debt against low savings is a worrisome phenomenon, and not only in Thailand but in countries across the world. The issue is aggravated by the growth of the global population of people aged over 60. Some have saved enough to support their lives in retirement, but many others are not so lucky.

The UN estimates there are around 600 million people aged 65 or old alive today, or 8 per cent of the world's total population. By 2035, more than 1.1 billion people - 13 per cent of the population - will fall into that age group.

In Thailand, the number aged 60-plus is projected to increase to 14 per cent in 2015, 19.8 per cent in 2025 and nearly 30 per cent by 2050. That poses the big question of who will take care of these seniors.

A visit to a government-funded nursing home indicated that many will depend on the state.

The facility is home to 103 men and women aged 60 and over. The oldest is over 90 and some 30 residents are bedridden.

Just to feed the residents costs Bt13,000 per day, with more funds needed to pay staff and other expenses, though occasional donations from charitable individuals and organisations help.

Each day, the residents spend time sitting in the corridors enjoying the cool breeze and waiting for meals and any help they need from staff. In the evening, they watch television before the lights are turned off at 8.30pm.

Many low-income families can only dream of such a place for their elderly parents. "It's good. Free food and free accommodation," said one resident. Unsurprisingly, securing a place here is not easy. You have to prove that you have no relatives or that your relatives are unable to support you.

The number of us who will wind up in that position will only rise if so many Thais continue to live reckless lifestyles. It's common practice to ignore our outstanding debts and sign up for new credit cards. Little thought is given to how much we will have left when we reach an age at which we can no longer work.

The government can do something to promote saving, but it is also individuals' responsibility to initiate plans for their own future. Nursing homes are waiting, but the residents look lonely. Visit one and you realise that today's carefree and reckless lifestyles only guarantee a darker tomorrow.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-06

• Like 1

With the way things are here if you were a Thai male wouldn't you be cavorting with ladies wearing hot pants and if a suitably built lady wear them and earn some good money ?

I know that short sighted attitude is wrong because Mr. T will return and all can live happily ever after.

With the way things are here if you were a Thai male wouldn't you be cavorting with ladies wearing hot pants and if a suitably built lady wear them and earn some good money ?

I know that short sighted attitude is wrong because Mr. T will return and all can live happily ever after.

The Mr T crack is lazy thinking and self aggrandizing. Wow. You must really love yourself.

The Mr T crack is lazy thinking and self aggrandizing. Wow. You must really love yourself.

cheesy.gif at least i thin, and your excuse is ?

Putting emotional, sentimental and 'cultural' (brainwash) arguments aside -

Thai 'family first' super strong ties/obligations are stemming from a very simple fact:

No Social Security for 90% of population. Period.

• Like 2

Who's educating people on this matter?

The way most are educated here is to just do as you're told and go with the flow. Yet people are then supposed to apply logic and save for the future or a rainy day.

If this does come round to bite the people in the ass in charge, it will be a case of having your cake and wanting to eat it, too.

So , it seems the way to retire and be happy is to have many daughters who in turn have many daughters who go out in short skirts , hot pants and serve up everything to stupid young males who will give the said grand-daughters all their hard earned cash.. also add some more stupid Farangs, they too easy to give up their cash.. and often marry those loose young girls.. who of course love those old men.. and there we have it.. successful retirement.. But hold on.. thats what happens in Issan already ..! and I thought it was my idea..! cheesy.gif

Yet that is exactly why many people support him. They believe the BS that comes out of his mouth.

• Like 1

Before we start pointing fingers at 'Feckless Thais', this is a financial warning that does not make comfortable reading for a lot of expats.

I agree. I have numerous expat friends that have no health or long term care insurance that is valid in Thailand. I spoke to one very good friend and asked how he would pay for care if he fell and broke a hip. He didn't have an answer. No credit card, no health insurance and no plan.

I am fortunate to have both medical, dental and long term care insurance that covers me in Thailand. To speed coverage along, I also purchased another, affordable medical plan while here. Planning for me, when unconscious, is a poor option.

On the other hand, most Thai's may try and look at the glass half full. Let them come to Canada where I live and deal with 7-9 months Winter, depending what region, and see if retiring in Thailand, in the warmth and sunshine, sitting on a free beach with an ocean breeze is such a terrible thing after all, money in the pocket or not. Everyone wants a better life, it's natural, but sometimes comparing life to somewhere else is not such a bad thing. I love Canada, the overall civility of most people and everyone genuinely seems to care about their fellow beings, but these Winters suck on a large scale year after year after year.

Friend of mine came over for a visit years ago from australia and loved it here too, but his comment, like most that come from a fairly warm country was "can't be an easy country to live if your poor, homeless or both".

Edited by dude123

The Thai are fortunate in one respect. They cannot depend on the State to take care of them and so they tend to fend for themselves. It may look sloppy and unorganized to the western eye, but it is by and large effective. The west on the other hand is about to receive an economic kick upside its head that renders MANY average western citizens destitute. They are/will be completely dependent on the State, and that in my opinion is a very unpleasant and dangerous place to be. If I am living in the lower strata of society, give me rural Thailand over U.S. suburbia over the coming decade without question! All the debt slaves in the west that THINK they have retirement savings are about to find out they really do not. It is already happening, like a slow motion train wreck for those that have their eyes open to see...................

The same story could be written about many countries- especially my native USA. Got a dollar? Spend it! Then, as age 62 stares you in the face, cry about how you won't be able to retire, and the government (other taxpayers) must help you in your time of need...

The Thai are fortunate in one respect. They cannot depend on the State to take care of them and so they tend to fend for themselves. It may look sloppy and unorganized to the western eye, but it is by and large effective. The west on the other hand is about to receive an economic kick upside its head that renders MANY average western citizens destitute. They are/will be completely dependent on the State, and that in my opinion is a very unpleasant and dangerous place to be. If I am living in the lower strata of society, give me rural Thailand over U.S. suburbia over the coming decade without question! All the debt slaves in the west that THINK they have retirement savings are about to find out they really do not. It is already happening, like a slow motion train wreck for those that have their eyes open to see...................

Yes. Fudged low inflation rate reports to keep interests rates at historic lows come to mind right away against the savers. Food, gas, hydro, all risen dramatically, but not according to the latest inflation stats. I'm thinking interest rates will never rise again. Good for people in debt and dissapointing for people who worked hard all their life to kick back and draw from their dwindling nest egg.

Thai 'family first' super strong ties/obligations are stemming from a very simple fact:

Social Security is a new invention. One that's draining the middle classes in the form of taxes. The family first system is way, way older and IMHO works better. No middlemen getting their pockets lined.

• Like 1

Before we start pointing fingers at 'Feckless Thais', this is a financial warning that does not make comfortable reading for a lot of expats.

I agree. I have numerous expat friends that have no health or long term care insurance that is valid in Thailand. I spoke to one very good friend and asked how he would pay for care if he fell and broke a hip. He didn't have an answer. No credit card, no health insurance and no plan.

I am fortunate to have both medical, dental and long term care insurance that covers me in Thailand. To speed coverage along, I also purchased another, affordable medical plan while here. Planning for me, when unconscious, is a poor option.

Obviously a belt and braces man.

It pays to look ahead but not always at the expense of the present. As someone whose name escapes me once said, "If you give up smoking, drinking and chasing women you don't actually live longer, it just seems like it." thumbsup.gif

Cheers!

Edited by bigbamboo

Social Security is a new invention. One that's draining the middle classes in the form of taxes. The family first system is way, way older and IMHO works better. No middlemen getting their pockets lined.

Agree with you DrTuner. There are many factors for the family first system. I have not tried to knock it, just responded to OP.

As to "...dark, lonely days ahead..." -

- we all know how the life game ends;

- usually it is a dark tunnel with no lights on the other side;

- death is a lonely business, nobody shares it with us;

- getting old, sick, frail is not what I call an unfair advantage;

- being financially dependent or destitute is not making exit easier;

etc., etc., etc.

On the other hand what is so clever or special about Thai opinion?

Long before I came here in my country they used to say:

"It's better to be young, healthy and rich than old, sick and poor". giggle.gif

Edited by ABCer