1.2 Million Baht Police Raid at South Pattaya IT Center

webfact

1.2 Million Baht Police Raid at South Pattaya IT Center

copy-3.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Fifty Officers from the Police Region 2 Intellectual Property Rights Unit conducted a raid of the Tuk Com IT Center on the South Pattaya Road on Monday evening and seized an estimated 1.2 Million Baht’s worth of counterfeit goods and arrested 26 people.

The raid was led by Police Colonel Teeraphon, the head of the unit and a total of 351 individual items were seized including Smart Phones and Phone cases featuring patented brand names.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/127180/1-2-million-baht-police-raid-at-south-pattaya-it-center/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-05-06

Wondering the motive and incentive for the "police" -- (In quotes as I would never consider the Thai Extortion Squad as police...

Just the normal monthly smoke and mirrors to make it look like they are doing something . . . in the meanwhile, life goes back to normal after they leave and they continue to receive the bribes to turn a blind eye to all the illegality.

• Like 2

Wondering the motive and incentive for the "police" -- (In quotes as I would never consider the Thai Extortion Squad as police...

Who is the biggest competitor of the Tuk Com IT vendors? Inventory acquisition?

Edited by unanimosity

The motive may be various international agreements against copyright and intellectual piracy that Thailand is a signatory to. The incentive may be for Thailand to comply or face sanctions, legal and/or trade actions.

As for the "Thai Extortion Squad" comment, I don't know all the police participants, their personal intentions or confidential plans that they executed. To assume I do would expose me as a speculator without any credibility to back up my statements.

• Like 1

Window dressing only,

I've been coming to Thailand for over 20 years and have seen the window dressing become shopping reality.

Times are changing and often for the good.

I'm interested to know how the police can identify which phones are genuine and which ones are copies! I'd love to know so I can be sure I don't get stung next time I buy a phone.

Just out of interest, I was initially quoted 700 baht more for a Samsung phone (don't know if it was genuine or not) in Tuk Com, than in the Samsung shop in Central Festival. After some bartering she came down to 300 baht more than the Samsung dealer, but wouldn't budge any lower! I got the same response at 3 other counters in Tuk Com!

Guess where I bought my phone!

Edited by billrose

Guess where I bought my phone!

I suppose you bought it from the Samsung dealer just like the vendors in Tukcom hence the reason they want 300 baht more.

thats the profit they are making.

Perhaps the police are just doing their job. Legitimate owners of brands usually hire investigators to check markets and shopping centres to see what counterfeit items are being sold, then they ask the police to seize and arrest once they have their evidence.

• Like 1